Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:08 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times

Advertisements

OnTopic:

I would like to create a National Registry.
You apply for Gun Ownership just like you would a drivers license. Get a background check, take a test. Get a card. This card would allow you to buy a gun. Anywhere you want. With no waiting period. This gun would then be recorded as being sold to you.

I've had this conversation with Gun Enthusiasts:
"No way! Then the government will track all my weapons and know which ones I have!!!!"
So? All I ever hear is how law abiding you are.
"But if they know, they can come and TAKE MAH GUNS!"
So sick of that paranoia. NO ONE IS TAKING YOUR GUNS.
"Well why would you try and make it more difficult for law abiding citizens?"
Really? Taking a test to get a card. Once. Maybe do it every 7 years? That's just too much effort for you? Is it really a bad thing for you to prove you know a thing or 2 about weapons and how to use them? Really?
"This won't keep bad guys from getting guns!!!"
Love that argument. No matter what topic proceeded it. So just because some people will still obtain guns illegally... what... we should do nothing then?

And yes, I will be the first one in line to register my guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 10:11 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OnTopic:

You apply for Gun Ownership just like you would a drivers license. Get a background check, take a test. Get a card. This card would allow you to buy a gun. Anywhere you want. With no waiting period. This gun would then be recorded as being sold to you.

"No way! Then the government will track all my weapons and know which ones I have!!!!"
Really? Taking a test to get a card. Once. Maybe do it every 7 years? That's just too much effort for you? Is it really a bad thing for you to prove you know a thing or 2 about weapons and how to use them? Really?
Love that argument. No matter what topic proceeded it. So just because some people will still obtain guns illegally... what... we should do nothing then?

Please tell me how this would in any way have stopped any of the recent mass shootings?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post

Everyone makes it seem like changes take forever or they're not worth doing..
My sentiments, exactly.

I find it humorous that gun advocates swear intense gun control will never occur. [Cue me laughing so hard!]

It will be done, the groundwork is currently being laid down (Step 1: encourage the biggest bulk of citizens into feeling unprotected, violated and helpless. Step 2: social unrest begins. Step 3: lawmakers will step in to assure guns are being harder and harder to acquire. Step 4: it will then eventually become a crime to own assault weapons. It could take 10 or 20 years before we get through these steps, but it will evolve into this.). Easy, easy. Step one is already well under way.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Quote:
OnTopic:

Incredible. As Many times this ludicrous idea has been mentioned and debunked, here it is again. There is no "Background Check" required for a License. Even an illegal Alien can get one. A Criminal can get one. A Terrorist can get one. Is that what you really want?

Maybe you should listen to argument that Gunn Owner make, instead of ignoring them with a closed mind. You may not propose such silly things if you did.

You go ahead and register all you want, but I bet you can't even answer a simple question about registration, and will ignore it because you don't have an answer.

Give me one example, even fictional, where a Gun Registratio saved a life or made one safer?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 AM

769 posts, read 830,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Please tell me how this would in any way have stopped any of the recent mass shootings?
Excactly, all gun registries are is an easy way to know where guns are to confiscate. All of the mass shootings the guns were obtained legally...

Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 AM

769 posts, read 830,596 times
Quote:
And when the time comes to confiscate them, they know exactly where to look...

Old 12-04-2015, 10:47 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Newtown was a false flag event ,and there seems to be copy cat events that fallowed because they get press .
( FBI stats, no one died there at that time.)
The media is greatly responsible for this, as well as government efforts to abolish the 2nd ammendment, in compliance with the "UN agenda 21" .
Every time a terrorist strike occurs the press make it work for the terrorists.

More to the point , We are being systematically being crowded into and inevitable implosion ,with a primitive barbaric people, trying to force next to a civilized group, is like caging a cat with a dog that do not like each other. a fight WILL ensue. guarenteed.
Disarming the good, will only serve to encourage the primitive to become all the more agressive, as it has every country they have invaded currently .
If you don't know that government is aware of this, your ignorant and need to take a closer look at the manouvers going on.
The militerization of the police departments should have awakened you a long time ago, that this was a plan from the begining.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Thank you! It boggles me that they put their access to a weapon before human life.. That is what wrong with America in general today. Things first, people last.

Actually drunk driving has been cut in half since 1980 when MADD first appeared and started their fight against it. The heftier punishments and zero tolerance laws have worked quite well.

Sober people still have to go to driving school, they still have to pass a driver's test, they still have to buy insurance and register their cars and renew their driver's license. Sober people still have to abide by traffic laws and are expected to drive safely. Should we get rid of all those things because a few bad apples decide to drink and drive or speed down the highway and run stop lights? No. Because traffic laws reduce traffic accidents. Drunk driving laws reduce the amount of drunk drivers. Gun control reduces gun violence.

Do you even know what your arguing about? Everything your using as an example is the exact reason your thinking is flawed. Madd went after the "PEOPLE" committing the act, not the Cars or the Booze. Your advocating going after the Cars and/or Booze, to regulate the activities of the person, instead of the "Drunk" Driver, which is what MADD does. That's what you just used as an example.

By "Sober" your saying its equivalent to a "Law Abiding Gun Owner" as an example comparison? Law Abiding citizens are already obeying the Laws, and are not killing people, or committing shootings, no more than Sober People are out there driving like drunks.

Is a shame anti-gun folks lack common sense, and have no clue as to what they mean or say.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
My sentiments, exactly.

I find it humorous that gun advocates swear intense gun control will never occur. [Cue me laughing so hard!]

It will be done, the groundwork is currently being laid down (Step 1: encourage the biggest bulk of citizens into feeling unprotected, violated and helpless. Step 2: social unrest begins. Step 3: lawmakers will step in to assure guns are being harder and harder to acquire. Step 4: it will then eventually become a crime to own assault weapons. It could take 10 or 20 years before we get through these steps, but it will evolve into this.). Easy, easy. Step one is already well under way.

And it won't make a difference even if it does happen, by some miracle. There are Millions of guns already out here. It will be more than 20 years, a lot more. There are millions of guns still being traded and sold that are 100 years old or more, and there where a lot less made then, so your dreaming.

Second, No one is going to be able to enforce such Laws, because people will ignore them, or fight them. People will ignore such Laws.

Also, people are already making their own guns on 3D Printers, and there will soon be Millions of these Printers in almost every home. A Military looking gun (AR 15) can be made right at home, or a machine gun, with high capacity magazines, with such a printer. and that technology will improve by leaps and bounds. One will be able to make Rocket Launchers, if one wants.

Pinch yourself. You must be Dreaming...

Old 12-04-2015, 11:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I think there are three questions that those proposing gun laws should answer BEFORE they propose their "dream laws":
1. Will the proposed law actually prevent another "gun related"death?
2. Would the proposed law have prevented ANY of the previous gun-related deaths?
3. Would I be willing to post a bond equal to my entire net worth insuring that, when this law is passed, there will never be another incident of gun violence?
IMO, if the answer to any of the above questions is "NO", then your proposed law is useless!
If there is no doubt that the law will not or can not do what it is intended to do, why bother passing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates