Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:10 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times

Advertisements

Go back to fundamentals, teach ethics, morals, and educate people on what is integrity, how compassion works, what is grace and how to incorporate into ones life and how to be a self responsible individuals and get rid of the delusion that freedom means "do as you please" and educate people that "FREEDOM" is and will always be about being responsible and it is at core about and created by "Responsibility", without responsibility, there is no freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

I see that there was a bill introduced by Democrats today to tighten up gun controls and surprise surprise, it was rejected by the Republicans. Unbelievable. And yet they have no other solutions to offer....
The law would have prevented US citizens on the terrorism watch list from buying guns. That list is very broad and your name can appear on that list for various reasons, at one point it contained millions of names. Those people have been convicted of nothing. It's a back door measure to subjugate the Second Amendment, it would never get by SCOTUS.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post

Your opinions are futile. Within 10 years, guns will no longer be in your hands.

It is not a question of IF, its a matter of WHEN.

LOL,
That is what they said back in 1994 when the AWB was passed back then I hardly knew anyone who owned an AR-15 now I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have an AR-15. I thought back then gun ownership would decrease but it hasn't it's gone way up, so much I haven't even bought anything in years because demand has gotten so bad you can't find anything in stock. .22 at walmart has been out of stock since Obama came into office. Your idea that American's are going to suddenly change their minds is foolhardy and these shootings will only make people go out and buy more because we wan't to have our own protection.

My right to defend my self from these Islamic's nut jobs

Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My right to defend my self from these Islamic's nut jobs
Really?...

Tell me about one high-profile, modern mass massacre that was stoped by a legal "good" gun owner.. (Not law enforcement teams).

Go ahead and rack your brain to find JUST one.
I'll be waiting.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:00 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Another depressing thread of gun nuts, I mean advocates or enthusiasts or whatever they call themselves, saying basically the following:

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning than by being killed in a mass-shooting, so the hundreds of people who are dead are just those who didn't beat the odds.

None of the proposed stricter gun laws will help....so why bother trying? Because there always will be somebody who finds a way to beat the system.

Mental-health laws are the problem. So let's put everyone in therapy rather than trying to prevent them from getting their hands on a gun.

We're Americans and we like our guns. Because we don't feel like real men without them. And our Constitution written in the 1700's totally backs us up on this. We don't care how many people get killed, we are not sacrificing ANYTHING when it comes to our gun freedom!

If no one had guns, they'd still find ways to do mass violence -- like bombs. So why bother doing anything about guns? They'll still find a way.

And on and on.

My .02 on the issue:

I do not care if the government reads my e-mails and listens to my phone calls, if that's what they need to do to prevent terrorism. Making sacrifices of our own personal freedoms to prevent mass violence is something we all should be willing to do -- including gun owners.

I find it so difficult to believe that NO ONE had any clue or red flags about these CA shooters or any of the other mass killers. How did these people stockpile a huge arsenal in that house without anyone getting suspicious??? I know many Muslims have denounced the terrorists AFTER the fact, but I don't see them snitching or turning in any of their Muslim brethren here OR overseas (e.g., Boston, Belgium). That is one of the reasons that people unfortunately do not trust them.

I see that there was a bill introduced by Democrats today to tighten up gun controls and surprise surprise, it was rejected by the Republicans. Unbelievable. And yet they have no other solutions to offer....
Thank you! It boggles me that they put their access to a weapon before human life.. That is what wrong with America in general today. Things first, people last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like we've "fixed" drunk driving: focus on the drunks, not the cars.

Attack the problem, which is allowing criminals and nutjobs to have access to weapons.

Too much of "gun control" is analogous to restricting sober people from owning cars because there are some drunks out there.
Actually drunk driving has been cut in half since 1980 when MADD first appeared and started their fight against it. The heftier punishments and zero tolerance laws have worked quite well.

Sober people still have to go to driving school, they still have to pass a driver's test, they still have to buy insurance and register their cars and renew their driver's license. Sober people still have to abide by traffic laws and are expected to drive safely. Should we get rid of all those things because a few bad apples decide to drink and drive or speed down the highway and run stop lights? No. Because traffic laws reduce traffic accidents. Drunk driving laws reduce the amount of drunk drivers. Gun control reduces gun violence.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:25 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Better background checks have to be the only way to go. Drugs commonly prescribed to people with mental illness are recorded on a shared computer system, this ensures they can't shop doctors and get multiple prescriptions for the same medication. This list should be available for background check purposes.

In the end criminals will find a way to get guns and ammunition through fair means or foul. False ID's, theft, leaky southern borders? they know where to find them.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post

Actually drunk driving has been cut in half since 1980 when MADD first appeared and started their fight against it. The heftier punishments and zero tolerance laws have worked quite well.

Sober people still have to go to driving school, they still have to pass a driver's test, they still have to buy insurance and register their cars and renew their driver's license. Sober people still have to abide by traffic laws and are expected to drive safely.
As gun owners currently have standards and restrictions that they must adhere to. Particularly those with concealed handgun licenses.

[quote]
Should we get rid of all those things because a few bad apples decide to drink and drive or speed down the highway and run stop lights? No. Because traffic laws reduce traffic accidents. Drunk driving laws reduce the amount of drunk drivers.

Should we get rid of current laws controlling gun purchases?

Who is advocating for that?

Quote:
Gun control reduces gun violence.
As it did in Paris with its extremely tight gun control?

As it did in California with its very tight gun laws?

As it does in Chicago, DC, and Baltimore with their strict gun control?

The problem with restricting access to law abiding citizens is that it does nothing to keep arms out of the hands of criminals and terrorists. For some unfathomable reason, these folks have a strong tendency to disregard the law.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
We had very little crime when we were all basically Americans that were here legally. Guns are for OUR protection. LEAVE OUR GUNS ALONE. What needs to happen is a tightening of immigration and throw all Muslims and illegals out of the country. Bring the death penalty back and stop the holding cells until it happens. If you don't want murders, you have to give a person a good reason not to do them.

It was my ancestors that made the rules for religious freedom but this law is being abused to mean freedom from religion instead of freedom of religion that I think to make it the way our ancestors meant it to be would be to declare us a Christian nation. Muslims are not Christian and add discord to our country. We don't need people shooting up crowds because they go to a Christmas party. It is time to protect our religious freedom.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Really?...

Tell me about one high-profile, modern mass massacre that was stoped by a legal "good" gun owner.. (Not law enforcement teams).

Go ahead and rack your brain to find JUST one.
I'll be waiting.
Did you conveniently forget that nearly every one of these recent mass shootings occurred in a "GUN FREE ZONE"? Even if some of the victims had been legal gun owners, they were FORBIDDEN the right of self defense! So naturally, being law abiding citizens, they did not have a gun! The shooter(s), however, NOT being law-abiding, had no qualms about bringing guns into such a zone! I find it interesting that there has never been a "mass shooting" at a POLICE STATION!
Did you also forget that in nearly every one if the cases, the shooter PASSED the FEDERALLY MANDATED (NO, the background check is NOT a state-by-state law, it is a FEDERAL law!) background check when he purchased the weapon(s) used?
Did you also forget that when the attempt on Reagan was made, the perp bought the pistol THREE MONTHS before the shooting? Evan the celebrated Gifford shooter had purchased the weapon long before the shooting!

It seems to me that trying to apply the "Rule Of Law" to CRIMINALS is an exercise in futility!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM

170 posts, read 199,343 times
The only way gun ownership will change is through changing the entire conversation. Newtown is a clear example that no matter what someone does with a gun (murdering 20 children, 6 adults), gun rights people will waste space talking about the differences between various guns, magazine sizes, knife attacks, etc.

Take a page out of the anti-tobacco playbook. Make guns dumb. Make it embarrassing to own a gun. Make it so little kids see commercials and embarrass their parents about their interest and hobby of guns. Look at truth and what they do. Change social norms. Make interesting commercials that show the absurdity of owning an arsenal of weapons.

Take a page out of the carbon footprint playbook. Small changes. "See a gun, turn it in" something like that. Melt them down in a spectacle. It's all about talking points and changing minds.

Everyone makes it seem like changes take forever or they're not worth doing. Ask someone from the 1940s or 50s if they ever thought smoking would be uncool. Ask people who made fun of Carter's environmentalism if they have LED lightbulbs and Nest thermostats. Big changes are everywhere and many things can turn over in a generation through simple ad work and phrases. Civil rights, gay rights, recycling, wildfire prevention, drunk driving, autism awareness, breast cancer, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates