Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You are getting real close here. But no, there is absolutely no relationship or correlation between cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust. You see that's the point, you are trying to mislead people into believing that. That's the fallacy.
Actually, there is, and either you're deliberately ignoring it or trying to get others to - and you're apparently not very good at debate OR philosophy because you're failing miserably.

The comparison of cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust is very apt, because both can contribute to health problems in the same way. What you are uncomfortable with and trying in a first year philosophy student way to avoid is that very aptness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM

20 posts, read 24,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, there is, and either you're deliberately ignoring it or trying to get others to - and you're apparently not very good at debate OR philosophy because you're failing miserably.

The comparison of cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust is very apt, because both can contribute to health problems in the same way. What you are uncomfortable with and trying in a first year philosophy student way to avoid is that very aptness.
Exactly..car exhaust. Having built high-powered gas blower motors for years, car exhaust is almost essentially as bad as cigarette smoke... we were regulated to exhaust most emissions outdoors, beyond the direct engine exhaust. Also, the diesel test stands had to vent high in the air.
IMHO, smokers in the US are doing the others a favor (as well as is morbid obesity), as it detracts from the Social Security payout, and makes the rest of us happy.

Since this is a semi-anonymous site, I can fairly say I would never hire anyone who smokes, regardless of their talent. That statement rings true with all my peers, all in the upper echelon of business management.

(and this comes from a former raging addict, not nicotine)

Old 12-15-2015, 01:30 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,575,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thank you! Am also one who has serious adverse effects when exposed to the toxic chemicals in fragrances. Not only does it just plain stink (chemical-based, not oil-based); the chemicals used to manufacture fragrances are extremely unhealthy for everyone.

Any product containing fragrance: detergent, fabric softener, shampoo, cream rinse, hair styling product, hair spray, deodorant, body lotions, dish soap, air freshener, etc. All of these chemical-based products are ingested through our respiratory system, or through the largest organ in our body (skin).
You Asked: Should I Wear Perfume?

Am not saying that cigarette smoke is healthy; but if someone is standing outside of a building near the doorway and smoking I don't stop and stand there and breath in the smoke because I just keep walking into the building as I would at any other time. Just walking past cigarette smoke is not going to give anyone lung cancer.

Sitting next to someone in an office or on a plane, etc., and having to ingest the dangerous chemicals in fragrances is much more unhealthy because you're stuck in that air space for much longer than just walking past someone smoking.

I would rather smell tobacco smoke than perfume that some one has drenched themselves in, or some one that forgot to take a bath and decided to go shopping in the same store I am in.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

That's ridiculous. Stick a cigarette in your mouth and then a tailpipe, and see which one you want to get rid of the quickest. That's like saying "tripping" over a crack in a sidewalk is the same as falling off a 40 story building, since both can lead to broken bones.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorax71 View Post
Exactly..car exhaust. Having built high-powered gas blower motors for years, car exhaust is almost essentially as bad as cigarette smoke... we were regulated to exhaust most emissions outdoors, beyond the direct engine exhaust.

Only problem with that ridiculous statement, is that Millions of people where not riding on the backs "Cigarette Smokers" on the roads, who "lit up" whenever they where out. Also, have never heard of anyone killing themselves by smoking in an unvented area. You want to try that with a car exhaust pipe in that same area? I didn't think so.

If you don't care to smoke, or feel that an area should be cleared around Doorways, just say so, and don't make up ridiculous statements. As for me, I would rather be around a "Smoker" than a "Drunk." I also think Booze should be banned, because it kills people of every age, and costs all of us higher Insurance Premiums. So there you have it.

Never could figure out what the big stink was over smoking in a Bar, either. Folks think its OK to go in a Bar and get Drunk, dumping alcohol in your blood, and possibly killing some one on your way home, but your worried about a guy puffing a cigarette? I used to smoke, but didn't go all freaky about those who still do. The last thing I am worried about killing me is walking by some one that's smoking. Ridiculous.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I suppose it's possible you really think that's what punk means!

Punk | Definition of Punk by Merriam-Webster
The point is it isn't just for snot-nosers. Honestly, I am a very follow the rules and laws kind of guy. I am only punk due to age, musical tastes and being an iconoclast to ideals held by my elders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You don't HAVE to sit there or even be there.
Neither do you.

Quote:
Watch the game on TV if what other people do bothers you so much.
The exact same goes to you if you can't follow the rules. Arenas, stadiums and concert venues can and will throw you out for smoking. Don't like the policy, you don't have to go. Renting a seat don't entitle you to not play by their rules.

Quote:
think it's pretty clear that water vapor is harmless.
Strawman, plain and simple because there can easily be nicotine in them, about the amount of a Luclky Strike to be precise. 10 Facts That Everyone Gets Wrong About Vaping

Quote:
I've heard of people lighting up in a restaurant just to get some service after being ignored for twenty minutes.
That is just stupid, just walk out. If I ran the restaurant, I'd gladly throw them out and CLEARLYmark smokers will be thrown out.

Quote:
This is why smokers need to grow a pair. Anti-smoking laws often aren't enforced. There's no one around to enforce them, and the police have better things to do.
I've dealt with a vaper who vaped in an arena and tried to tell me they could when they really couldn't. The best thing restaurants and arenas can do is deny service to smokers and vapers who proceed to light up.
Quote:
They passed a law banning smoking in the local park. I happened to be invited to a civic function there and made a point of standing under the new "no smoking" sign smoking a cigarette as the city council members who passed the law walked by.
Your attempt at civil disobedience doesn't change the fact you are disgustingly in the wrong and should have been cited by police for breaking a law.

Quote:
Pointing out the hypocrisy of the anti-smoking fanatics is perfectly legitimate.
I find the same with smoking everywhere fanatics. The feeling is mutual.
Quote:
Oh, I wish somebody would do something like that. The cafe I was at had ashtrays at the outdoor tables, and it is legal to smoke outside -- although the anti-smoking neurotics are working to change that I'm sure. Let them. I'll still smoke. We've reached the point Prohibition reached back in the 1920s -- passing laws that are both ridiculous and unenforceable.
Quote:
The whole anti-smoking movement has been a slippery slope. First, we had smoking sections on a voluntary basis. Then they became mandatory. Then smoking was banned in public buildings. Then in private ones. Then outdoors. Now they're talking about passing laws to forbid smoking in your own house. At some point, these laws become unenforceable. And rebellious teenagers are the ones most likely to take up smoking just to show contempt for such stupidity.
Teenagers always smoked, a real rebellion is to not smoke. In fact fewer smoke than the past generation of teenagers. CDC: Teen Smoking Rate Lowest in 22 Years

Quote:
Nowadays, a true non-conformist would smoke.

Or at least, not complain about people smoking.
I see you "no true Scottsmaned" yourself. You're argument is therefore invalid.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I would rather smell tobacco smoke than perfume that some one has drenched themselves in, or some one that forgot to take a bath and decided to go shopping in the same store I am in.
I've smelt foul perfumes and colleges (McGraw and English Leather anyone) and honestly while they effect me, cigarette smoke is actually a worse offender to those. That smell lingers for a long time on clothing.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've smelt foul perfumes and colleges (McGraw and English Leather anyone) and honestly while they effect me, cigarette smoke is actually a worse offender to those. That smell lingers for a long time on clothing.

So we have a difference of opinion, and I respect your right to have one. . That's what America is all about. The only difference is that I am not going to try and Ban women with Perfume, or Men with cologne from standing outside of a door someplace, where I may get a whiff of the smell for a second or two, as I pass by.

And I certainly am not going to follow them around with my nose stuck on their clothes, so who cares what odor "Lingers" around them. They take that with them, and your lungs aren't going to rot because you caught a smell as they passed. Would you agree that's pretty petty and goofy.

If these folks get away with that silliness, What's next? Heavy Metal Music? Folks say it gives them a headache. Should they try and ban it being played where anyone that doesn't like it can hear it?

Lets agree that Smoking is definitely bad for you, but so are a lot of other things, including drinking and jumping off mountains for sport. In defense of smokers, if they go outside, that's good enough. There is no clinical evidence that a whiff of smoke you may or may not get, passing a smoker, is affecting anyone's health but the smokers. People need to stop using things as a crutch to promote their own agenda by trying to pass off a thing that's marble size as the size of a basketball. If that's all they have to do and worry about, they need a life.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:47 PM

When I say lingers, it is more in the area or clothing of a smoker. Ever roommate with a smoker and you're a non-smoker, that smell can annoy you. I know it did with my roommate when he smoked for a period. Thank fully he was good about washing it out, not all smokers are or realize that stench. I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing that...

The smell issue for me is prolonged exposure like say having to walk past smoking sections, being in a crowded church with a woman bathed in a foul stenched eau de toilette or a roommate who smells like an ash tray even though they haven't lit a drag on that shirt since the last time they washed it.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
Default try rancid pot oil stench early in the a.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
When I say lingers, it is more in the area or clothing of a smoker. Ever roommate with a smoker and you're a non-smoker, that smell can annoy you. I know it did with my roommate when he smoked for a period. Thank fully he was good about washing it out, not all smokers are or realize that stench. I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing that...

The smell issue for me is prolonged exposure like say having to walk past smoking sections, being in a crowded church with a woman bathed in a foul stenched eau de toilette or a roommate who smells like an ash tray even though they haven't lit a drag on that shirt since the last time they washed it.
Years ago I was on a construction site that mandated busing people into work, just to make sure everyone got there. In a full van all it took was one guy whose clothing was soaked in rancid pot oil to really make the start of your day.

I'm helping this senior lady last week and at 8 a.m. she's lighting up. Before I'd get out by noon as she'd start drinking. Must be stressful to have me around!!!

I haven't been back since. Nothing like the smell of this crap first thing. What she really needs I can't give her, nor can Dr. Phil!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates