Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Corruption. Follow the trail. Someone runs for Governor. Accused of Medicare Fraud. In order to be on the "up and up", sells all his shares in a diagnostic company, but wifey never sells hers.

Said diagnostics company is actively recruited to open up a Lab in the State by Governor. All Civil Servants and Welfare Recipients are drug tested by this company.

Governor declares a State Health Emergency for Zika in February, despite no single locally acquired Zika infection.

Yesterday, FDA rushes approval for a commercial testing kit for Zika. Guess WHO they give this to?

Again, follow the money. Don't trust Science? How about don't trust Government either????? Dr. Thompson of the CDC? lol They are all in bed with each other. Follow the trail and see exactly what Congressperson has ties to the Pharm. Industry if not presently but formerly. Congressman Pan of California????? Look up Dr. Carlsen's, "Nobody should be able to refuse a Vaccine", resume. Go look up who the head of the CDC formerly worked for.

It is not all about Science. You cannot escape the Politics of this, although this might be more fodder for the Politics site. However, it is all connected and not solely about Science.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Regarding polio:

The biggest polio epidemic in the US was in 1952. There were 57,879 cases;21,269 of which were paralytic. Three years later the first vaccine came out. Within a year (1956) there were 15,140 cases, a drop of about 75%. In 1961, the oral polio vaccine, the one that can in very rare cases cause paralytic polio, came out. A year later, there were 940 total polio cases reported in the US. Some of those were still caused by the wild polio virus, rather than the vaccine. The last wild polio cases in the US were in 1979. In 1980, after the US was rid of polio, the vaccine caused 9 cases of polio, 1 of which was paralytic.
PHI: Incidence Rates of Poliomyelitis in US

Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Someone could write the counter-point to this article. If you have a child with cancer and a lowered immune system (since you were stupid enough to put the child through the barbaric allopathic treatments for it which have all but destroyed the child's immune system), shouldn't it be YOUR responsibility to keep the child at home and away from germs rampant in public venues?

The general public shouldn't have to bend over backwards to accommodate every sick person with a potentially lowered immune system. The person themselves should make the effort to avoid contact with the public if their immune system is that compromised.

Ultimately it is the person with a weak immune system who is most susceptible to contracting a virus. Those with super strong immune systems can have sex with someone with an HIV outbreak and not get the virus. It is a myth that a truly healthy person can "catch" a disease. That is just what the medical profession WANTS you to believe so you will follow your fear and rush out and get all the toxic vaccines.
suzy_q2010 gave a good response to these "stupid parents". I, too, have a child who had cancer, melanoma. Hers, fortunately was treated surgically, and she has not had a recurrence since the surgery in 2002. So I take offense at being called "stupid" for using allopathic treatment. Without the surgery, she'd probably be dead by now. I currently have a sister-in-law receiving chemo for lung cancer (despite her having quit smoking at least 45 years ago). She was even willing to participate in a trial for a new investigational drug, in addition to her normal chemo, to be able to help other people.

Re: the bold, I don't think you understand what "immunocompromised" really means. Sure, people in the throes of chemo shouldn't be deliberately exposing themselves to communicable diseases. But people do have the expectation that they can go out in public and not be exposed to a lot of nasty stuff. My SIL doesn't get out much because she usually is quite tired and weak, but she does go out to Walmart and to restaurants occasionally. She should not have to lock herself in her house because some anti-vaxer feels it's their "right" to spread disease anywhere and everywhere. The Supreme Court decided in 1905 that immunizations can be mandated for the public good. Also, there are a lot of immunocompromised people who are not on chemo. Some people are taking high dose steroids for a medical condition, which compromises one's immune system. They walk among us. Some of them might even be working with you.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:43 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Governor declares a State Health Emergency for Zika in February, despite no single locally acquired Zika infection.
You live in Florida. Do you wait until a hurricane hits your house to prepare for it, despite having had a warning way in advance?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No one has claimed otherwise. You are the only one who is arguing about this point.
The point appears to be flying right over your head: the government did not see fit to bring a case against Merck.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Regarding polio:

The biggest polio epidemic in the US was in 1952. There were 57,879 cases;21,269 of which were paralytic. Three years later the first vaccine came out. Within a year (1956) there were 15,140 cases, a drop of about 75%. In 1961, the oral polio vaccine, the one that can in very rare cases cause paralytic polio, came out. A year later, there were 940 total polio cases reported in the US. Some of those were still caused by the wild polio virus, rather than the vaccine. The last wild polio cases in the US were in 1979. In 1980, after the US was rid of polio, the vaccine caused 9 cases of polio, 1 of which was paralytic.
PHI: Incidence Rates of Poliomyelitis in US
Polio Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

Some children can be infected with Polio and have very mild symptoms and it might not have been diagnosed at all. Take it up with the Mayo Clinic if you do not like what they say.

Since I, and many other kids my age especially in major cities, did not get that vaccination until much older, you will argue with the Mayo Clinic that we could have had Polio before the vaccine came out, but were not paralyzed or put in Iron Lungs from having the most severe symptoms? Pure "luck" I suppose when there are no repercussions from a disease which a vaccine can prevent?

I had everything else as a very young child, so why not Polio too before that vaccination came out when I was 7 years old? Very, very possible. We will never know.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You live in Florida. Do you wait until a hurricane hits your house to prepare for it, despite having had a warning way in advance?
No. We live in a CONCRETE house. Other than take in outside furniture, nothing else. While I wasn't here then, my husband was for Wilma. Palm trees down, power outages, but that was about it where we live.

I remember a Tropical Storm Warning. My Native Floridian Coworkers were telling me that if you have a potted plant outside so heavy you cannot lift it, leave it. It's not going anywhere. lol

You have never hear of Hurricane Parties?

Last edited by Jo48; 04-29-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Some children can be infected with Polio and have very mild symptoms and it might not have been diagnosed at all. Take it up with the Mayo Clinic if you do not like what they say.

Since I, and many other kids my age especially in major cities, did not get that vaccination until much older, you will argue with the Mayo Clinic that we could have had Polio before the vaccine came out, but were not paralyzed or put in Iron Lungs from having the most severe symptoms? Pure "luck" I suppose when there are no repercussions from a disease which a vaccine can prevent?

I had everything else as a very young child, so why not Polio too before that vaccination came out when I was 7 years old? Very, very possible. We will never know.

It is very possible you had polio and had no paralysis with it. The majority who had it did not have paralysis. That does not mean no one had paralysis. It appears that you think if something did not happen to you it did not happen at all. So you can roll your eyes and smile all you want to. Yes, it may be you are just lucky. Not everyone is.

My parents are from the county where Roosevelt's Little White House and his polio Foundation (Which now does general rehabilitation, since polio is gone.) are located. My father and his sister worked at the Foundation. Everyone in his and my mother's families knew people who were crippled by polio.

There are people now who are suffering from the late effects of polio - post polio syndrome. I have a cousin whose husband died from it at the age of 85. I suspect that polio survivors do not about the disease.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
No. We live in a CONCRETE house. Other than take in outside furniture, nothing else. While I wasn't here then, my husband was for Wilma. Palm trees down, power outages, but that was about it where we live.

I remember a Tropical Storm Warning. My Native Floridian Coworkers were telling me that if you have a potted plant outside so heavy you cannot lift it, leave it. It's not going anywhere. lol

You have never hear of Hurricane Parties?
But you did bring in the patio furniture, didn't you? Think of preparing for Zika as bringing in the patio furniture.

Since hurricanes can lift things much heavier than any potted plant, I have some doubts about your story.

People having hurricane parties have died, haven't they?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Polio Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

What is with this attack? When did I ever say you did or didn't have polio?

Surprising as it may be to you, I am well aware that MOST people who get polio have very non-specific symptoms and some don't even know they're sick. Others feel like they have "the flu" for a few days. Only about 0.5% become paralyzed. However, there was enough polio in the US that in the 1950s immediately pre-vaccine, there were 10,000 to 21,000 PARALYTIC cases yearly. PHI: Incidence Rates of Poliomyelitis in US That means 2,000,000 to 4,200,000 cases yearly!

"Most infected people (90%) have no symptoms or very mild symptoms and usually go unrecognized. ... For this reason, WHO considers a single confirmed case of polio paralysis to be evidence of an epidemic – particularly in countries where very few cases occur. - . . . One in 200 infections leads to irreversible paralysis, usually in the legs." - See more at: Polio and Prevention

Maybe you had it and maybe you didn't. My husband's cousin was one of the very unlukcy ones-she died in the big epidemic of 1949.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-29-2016 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates