Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

On topic...I just don't like acronyms that don't spell something.

When I used to work in a Ford plant, I noticed they had an acronym for just about anything.

So, I figure they had a Ford Acronym Research Team.

Does that help?

Old 04-22-2016, 04:02 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
That is another matter. Persons who have AIS and PAIS are not ever male physiologically, and some PAIS have a genital mix, yet incomplete, unless included are the extreme partial cases. Also,
Klinefelter's syndrome have a low incidence of gender differentiation.

This is not the topic. We are talking about normal biological males who take female hormones, yet still look like males.
No, we're talking about people policing other people's gender identities because they feel threatened or are just generally angry or hateful. What is in somebody else's pants is their business, and you've just admitted you don't care what their chromosomes are.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:39 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
No, we're talking about people policing other people's gender identities because they feel threatened or are just generally angry or hateful. What is in somebody else's pants is their business, and you've just admitted you don't care what their chromosomes are.
I do not care about other people generally let alone their gender identity. I do not think it is intelligent to let some 40 year old man to self identify as whatever he wishes and sit in public restrooms all day taking pictures of little girls from his hidden camera in his backpack.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I do not care about other people generally let alone their gender identity. I do not think it is intelligent to let some 40 year old man to self identify as whatever he wishes and sit in public restrooms all day taking pictures of little girls from his hidden camera in his backpack.
+1. Its not really the transgender that are going to be the big problem in private places, such as bathrooms and locker rooms. Its going to be the few complete dirtbags who will take advantage of the equality situation to do their dirty deeds.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:04 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
I don't really get why it's even necessary to have a label in the first place. I could care less what sexual preferences others have as long as they don't try to convince me to join their club.

Back to the OP's initial question regarding the T.

lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender.

The bolded terms refer to sexual preference; transgender refers to altering gender (usually with hormones and could include surgery).

Why do people want to shout to the world what, or who, they prefer to have sex with anyway?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 AM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I'm fine with Unisex bathrooms, as long as nobody tries to get rid of a half dozen "divider" urinals to put in one extra handicap stall. That's where I draw the line.

It's not really an acronym if it is unpronounceable. The difference between an acronym and initialism is that the abbreviation formed with initialisms is not pronounced as a word, rather you say the individual letters.

Last I heard, the preferred initialism was LGBTQIA, or at Amherst College it's L.G.B.T.Q.Q.I.A.A.

There is more added to it now. LGBTQQIAAP or LGBTTIQQ2SA. Who knows how many variations there are now and which one is the longest. It is time to stop adding letters, maybe find a collective group name instead of alphabet soup.

The LGBTQQIAAP (or LGBTTIQQ2SA) Community, and Why | Gay, Explained

Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
+1. Its not really the transgender that are going to be the big problem in private places, such as bathrooms and locker rooms. Its going to be the few complete dirtbags who will take advantage of the equality situation to do their dirty deeds.
That's got nothing to do with the transgenders themselves.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
That's got nothing to do with the transgenders themselves.
No it has nothing to do with this thread. No it does not have to do with transgenders themselves, it does have to do with transgenders as a group. Yes, they need to understand there will be people who try to take advantage of it. As soon as the first person who gets caught doing it, it will be a black eye for the transgender community: Even after the individual is proven that they are only pretending solely to "cheat the system". I have no idea how they would be able to "police there own", but that is something that THEY ALL should be aware of. Whether or not they choose to do anything about it... well I have no clue...

Old 04-22-2016, 11:00 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't think you understand the difference between dressing in drag and being transgendered.
I'm not sure if you do either. Because the term, "transgender" serves as an umbrella. It is not specific to transsexuals. It is used to describe not only transsexuals, but transvestites, cross dressers, drag queens, drag kings, asexual people, androgynous people, hermaphrodites, etc... I Am Transgender

So, what better source for a definition than from a transgender?

Having said that, I'm living in North Carolina where all the crap is hitting the fan right now. People are upset over the HB2 bill that was passed as law, which basically stripped cities' ability to establish their own discrimination ordinances. It all stemmed through a Charlotte ordinance that was passed, which forced all businesses to allow transgenders the right to choose which bathroom of their gender identity.

I believe that so many people have been arguing against HB2, because they only thought in terms of transsexuals. They are assuming the term transgender is just another way of saying transsexual. So when the question arises, "What happens when a guy dressed in a dress, who is not passable as a woman, decides he should legally have the right to go to the women's restroom", it's usually either ignored or scoffed at. Or, the sentiment is, "It's not the bathroom part of the bill we're concerned with, it's stripping the rights of the LGBT community...." and I get that part. I don't think anyone should be discriminated against when it comes to employment, consumerism, or housing. And that's where I think the bill needs changing. But in terms of the bathroom issue, I honestly believe that transgenders used their own commonsense before and decided what was best for them and others around them when it came to using public restrooms.

My own personal opinion, and no offense to anyone who thinks differently, but I don't agree that your sex and gender identity are two separate things. I think you identify your gender by your biological genitalia. You have either XY chromosomes as a male, or XX as a female. I don't believe any amount of hormonal changes or surgeries changes that fact. And I don't agree that transgenderism is a medical condition. For it to be a medical condition, I believe there would need to be some sort of physical abnormality. For instance, if the person identifies as a woman, but has all the features of a man, but has the XX chromosome, OK, maybe there is a physical abnormality, because the XX chromosome is supposed to provide female features. But I seriously doubt this ever happens. I believe transgenderism is strictly a mental condition. This is why those who decide to become transsexuals have to go through a certain amount of psychological counseling. And, I believe it is a choice. A person chooses to dress in the opposite sex's clothes. Based on a feeling. They choose to take hormonal treatments - based on a feeling. They choose the surgery - based on a feeling. Nobody has forced them to dress in the opposite sex's clothes or to go through the physical transformations. So, why is it that the rest of us have to be legislated by our government to tell us that we need to allow these people the right to choose which bathroom they wish to use? What about our feelings? If my wife is having to change clothes in the women's restroom, and a man dressed in a dress who is not passable as a woman - but is still considered transgender according to the above definition - is allowed to enter into the women's room, that is very uncomfortable for my wife, and she's probably going to fear for her safety. Now, if we limit it down to transsexuals who have went through all the trouble to physically pass as the other gender, then honestly, nobody is going to really know unless they see them in a locker room shower.

But anyway, I didn't mean to digress, and again, no offense to anyone, especially those on the board who may consider themselves transgenders. I have my opinion and belief, and I'm not necessarily closed-minded to anyone else's beliefs. But I feel that in order for me to change my way of thinking on this, there would have to be quite a bit or scientific and medical explanation that would satisfy my doubt.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm not sure if you do either. Because the term, "transgender" serves as an umbrella. It is not specific to transsexuals. It is used to describe not only transsexuals, but transvestites, cross dressers, drag queens, drag kings, asexual people, androgynous people, hermaphrodites, etc... I Am Transgender

So, what better source for a definition than from a transgender?

Having said that, I'm living in North Carolina where all the crap is hitting the fan right now. People are upset over the HB2 bill that was passed as law, which basically stripped cities' ability to establish their own discrimination ordinances. It all stemmed through a Charlotte ordinance that was passed, which forced all businesses to allow transgenders the right to choose which bathroom of their gender identity.

I believe that so many people have been arguing against HB2, because they only thought in terms of transsexuals. They are assuming the term transgender is just another way of saying transsexual. So when the question arises, "What happens when a guy dressed in a dress, who is not passable as a woman, decides he should legally have the right to go to the women's restroom", it's usually either ignored or scoffed at. Or, the sentiment is, "It's not the bathroom part of the bill we're concerned with, it's stripping the rights of the LGBT community...." and I get that part. I don't think anyone should be discriminated against when it comes to employment, consumerism, or housing. And that's where I think the bill needs changing. But in terms of the bathroom issue, I honestly believe that transgenders used their own commonsense before and decided what was best for them and others around them when it came to using public restrooms.

My own personal opinion, and no offense to anyone who thinks differently, but I don't agree that your sex and gender identity are two separate things. I think you identify your gender by your biological genitalia. You have either XY chromosomes as a male, or XX as a female. I don't believe any amount of hormonal changes or surgeries changes that fact. And I don't agree that transgenderism is a medical condition. For it to be a medical condition, I believe there would need to be some sort of physical abnormality. For instance, if the person identifies as a woman, but has all the features of a man, but has the XX chromosome, OK, maybe there is a physical abnormality, because the XX chromosome is supposed to provide female features. But I seriously doubt this ever happens. I believe transgenderism is strictly a mental condition. This is why those who decide to become transsexuals have to go through a certain amount of psychological counseling. And, I believe it is a choice. A person chooses to dress in the opposite sex's clothes. Based on a feeling. They choose to take hormonal treatments - based on a feeling. They choose the surgery - based on a feeling. Nobody has forced them to dress in the opposite sex's clothes or to go through the physical transformations. So, why is it that the rest of us have to be legislated by our government to tell us that we need to allow these people the right to choose which bathroom they wish to use? What about our feelings? If my wife is having to change clothes in the women's restroom, and a man dressed in a dress who is not passable as a woman - but is still considered transgender according to the above definition - is allowed to enter into the women's room, that is very uncomfortable for my wife, and she's probably going to fear for her safety. Now, if we limit it down to transsexuals who have went through all the trouble to physically pass as the other gender, then honestly, nobody is going to really know unless they see them in a locker room shower.

But anyway, I didn't mean to digress, and again, no offense to anyone, especially those on the board who may consider themselves transgenders. I have my opinion and belief, and I'm not necessarily closed-minded to anyone else's beliefs. But I feel that in order for me to change my way of thinking on this, there would have to be quite a bit or scientific and medical explanation that would satisfy my doubt.
I do believe you are the first person in this thread who has said they were transgender. Thank you for posting.

This thread kind of turned from the quick answer I was originally expecting, and the bathroom issue has taken up a large part of it. I personally did not know that the NC law had to do with so many different criteria all just bundled into one. I have met some transgender MTF who I flat out would not have known unless I had been told, and there are some that you can spot kind of easy. I think people should be able to easily understand that anyone who has completed the steps/surgery is not going to be able to flop right back. The problem I have and it sounds like you all ready know is...

What would stop a man from putting on a dress, and going into; a bathroom, lockerroom, changing room, etc... and recording or worse, based on their "protection from being discriminated against" as long as they don't get caught recording???

Me personally, again, its not the "finished" transgender, its the ... "grey area" that I think we all know is going to be taken advantage of. I know its not their fault, but I do see it as they are creating an opening for the problem to begin.
(really not trying to be offensive, on my wording).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates