Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post

For me the biggest issue is personal liberty. The government has no business telling an individual what they can and can't put into their body.
This is such a big deal - it's amazing that others don't recognize it.
It's not a point of philosophy or anything like that - it is perhaps the most basic freedom.

Folks should think about it hard.

Growing up in the 60's we truly believed (and I still do, to some degree) that the War on Drugs was largely because the government didn't want you to think for yourself (plus the racism aspects). After all, why would the government be interested in having enlightened citizens who felt they had what they needed and were satisfied with their lives? This would cause the downfall of mass consumerism and the slowing down of the rat race - and perhaps even the GDP. Horrors.

Imagine a bunch of folks who decided that they wouldn't go fight wars for old rich guys any longer?
Horrors.

Having recently raised a grandchild I noticed that as soon as she was 4 she started seeking alternate states of mind. When you are a kid you do this by spinning around and making yourself dizzy. Then you start doing it by riding in carnival rides....maybe even take up running or other sports which modify your mind.

Music - then becomes a drug in itself. This is why some authoritarians dislike music (radical islam, etc.). It can change your mind.....and your soul.

So, should government be the arbiter of all these things and decide, for example, how many miles you are allowed to run so as to avoid "runners high"?

Sounds silly but that is really the case some of these guys think is "normal". They accept it because they think it was always that way.

I read a lot of history. When Ben Franklin got gout he walked in the local store and bought opium, which he used for the rest of his days (along with massive amounts of booze...as always). When he oversaw our Constitution and the formation of our Republic, he was "on illegal drugs". Wow.

Up until 1910 could buy Heroin in the store or even off a vendor's cart.It was developed and patented by Bayer. Here are some ads:
Gorgeous Vintage Advertisements for Heroin, Cannabis and Cocaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Look up Gateway drug, you will find studies that are now saying alcohol is the gateway drug, not Marijuana.

I no longer smoke, I used to. I know I got drunk long before I ever got high..
I have no issues with making pot legal for recreation or medicine..
Tax it, use the money to fund education, drug rehab programs for opiates, alcoholism, Benzo's and all the other wonderful legal intoxicants people are addicted to..

You will be hard pressed to find any potheads in rehab for a marijuana addiction..

They even have roadside tests now to determine if a person is using while driving..

In my experience and use of marijuana it never turned me into the lazy do nothing pothead people are so quick to talk about.

I'm a recovering alcoholic, I'd probably still smoke if I wasn't committed to living a 100% sober lifestyle.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
I have seen the effects, over a few years, of the constant use of the Smoking kind with two of my sons. They became indolent, they lack any initiative and they had sever bouts of paranoia. They even grew their own stock to smoke and sell, with my youngest boy saying to me "I've gotta job, I work hard growing me' own 'Grass'".

My concern with marijuana is that it draws the kids to the stronger drugs, as the dealers can supply whatever death dealing chemical you wish to imbibe. I know of kids that have gone to get a $30 deal of pot, and the dealer has offered, free, a dose of Chrystal Meth. "Try this kids, if you want a real good high."

Some people are gonna go off the rails no matter what. And as you yourself have elucidated quite clearly, this will happen to those folks no matter if marijuana is legal or not.

I hold down a fairly lucrative, professional, civic job, have a partner, have a house, have a car, and I still smoke weed at times. I don't buy it on the regular, but I smoke with friends, and sometimes at home.

When I was 21/22, I smoked a ton of weed, flunked out of college twice, ran up a bunch of credit card debt, etc. But I did those things because I was 1) depressed and 2) stupid, not because I smoked weed.

I have an uncle who is an alcoholic. He's been in jail multiple times, has no driver's license, and has been divorced 3 times due to his alcoholism. I also know folks who have obsessive gambling addictions. I also know folks who have obsessive shopping addictions. I also know folks who have obsessive religious/Jesus addictions.

It's all about your lifestyle and your abilities, man, not the substance.

Now, this might not be the case for real drugs. Meth, heroine - that **** is bad news. But, marijuana is a plant. It's like shrooms. Or beer. Do a little, relax, then go on about your life.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:22 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
A couple of things...

First, I like that cheeseburger analogy. I know for me in CO, it's less than $2 each time I get high (on edibles). I really don't care what the tax on it is. The quality control of legal weed (especially with edibles) far outweighs any tax I'd pay. Taxing it won't drive it underground, unless they WAY over do it. What other food products cost you less than $2?

Second, laziness, paranoia, and memory issues are the three pitfalls that come with pot overuse. That is pretty well accepted and I can definitely notice it even after a little too much. Like with all drugs, the key is moderation and control.

Third, I think pot serves as much as an exit drug as it does an entry drug. Where it's legal, it serves as an alternative to benzos or opiates or alcohol for many.

I think the gateway drug theory is way overhyped in the non-user group and the addiction free theory is way overhyped among the user group.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post

I have seen the effects, over a few years, of the constant use of the Smoking kind with two of my sons. They became indolent, they lack any initiative
And have you observed the similar effects to those with an excessive addiction to a recreational drug called a Smartphone?

I believe the younger set are not going to be transferring their Smartphone addiction to an addiction that may prove to be far less exciting, enjoyable!

Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Personally I don’t think the government / law should have any say in what an adult chooses to take.
I would say:

Cannabis- Legal over 18

Psychedelics Legal over 18 with some instrutions and warnings concerning how to use properly.

Cocaine- Legal over 21 with warnings like Tobacco

Opiates- available through a clinic like setting- not prone to attracting new users, those who need can get what they need. handled like a medical issue, not a legal issue.

Amphetamines, Meth… Not sure maybe like Cocaine

Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Obviously your kids are not a wide enough sample to draw a conclusion about the general populace.

I am a regular beer drinker and don't smoke pot. I will acknowledge that marijuana is a safer drug. How often do you hear of pot smokers killing people in a car accident or beating up their wives while high?

For me the biggest issue is personal liberty. The government has no business telling an individual what they can and can't put into their body.

Are you serious? Retired career LEO here and this most certainly does happen more than you think. I'm going to look for stats as I've seen the carnage from those who were intoxicated or high and it wasn't pretty. But don't make the drug smokers out to be innocent of things like this.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
It's 2016 and we've been debating this stuff to the most absurd heights for a hundred years, pot, beer, whiskey, it's all a mind altering trip on any of these, but--the corollary to this lies in the wisdom of Ron White's observation that "you can't fix stupid." Bicycling can be very dangerous to the stupid, same with swimming, boating, mountain climbing, skateboarding, and yet we have auto racing, sky diving, bungee jumping, and many other "sports" that threaten life and limb, and all very legal.

Looking at the millions of pot users and seeking out the stupid who also use, then attempting to draw a conclusion from the acts of the stupid as an indicator of the whole is stupid in itself. Life is precarious, we all know the risks we take when driving, and, we all most certainly have had our share of experiences with the stupids behind the wheel, but we still happily drive, even with the threat of those risks. Society has tried to legislate against the effects of stupid, and failed miserably, meanwhile, we can't hide in our homes nor expect the world to accommodate our fears, live your life, watch out for the stupids, and mind your own business, you'll do just fine---or not..

Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Here's some respite from an older gentlemen with children, grandchildren, a wife of 43 years and a lot of life experience.

Legalize ALL drugs - most every drug was legal until the 1900's.
The ONLY real reason they became illegal (in the US) was due to racism - you see, the brown and black skin people often prefered pot to booze. And the yellow skinned people sorta liked a smoke or piece of opium. In fact, it is a fact that the Chinese workers on the first transcontinental RR worked better, harder and with much less trouble than the (largely Irish) white coming from the other end. The Chinese asked for fresh veggies and opium on sunday. The Irish wanted "bar trains" and other trains filled with various houses of gambling and ill repute. The Chinese worked and saved money for their families and businesses.

All of the "wars on drugs" have been a boom to the "illegal drug dealer" who takes advantage of two things:
1. The "forbidden fruit" aspect which makes people want what they can't have.
2. The increased prices and demand due to the stuff not being legal to grow or get through typical legal sources.

When I get my "drug" pills at the big pharmacy down the road they cost pennies apiece - and that business has insurance and overhead....so the idea that a lot of money would be added seem wrong.

I'd say if you want to read up on the pot issue, look at Colorado in the USA. It's legal there.

Where I live (MA) it's legal to the point that 4,000 people can smoke it at a rally and none get arrested - many people grow it and use it, and no one cares - nor have general drug use went up...

EXCEPT...

The whole USA is in a great Opiate epidemic. This is for one reason - the Big Pharma companies came out with various "new" opiates in the last 10-15 years and distributed them by the billions and bought off the usual doctors and lobbyists...and tens of millions became addicted due to these corporations.

Then - the Mexicans saw that market and came in with heroin that is much cheaper than the pills...and no doctor needed.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Just as people should know not to drink a quart of Jack Daniels they also know how to practice moderation in all things.

And as far as freedom....there is one freedom which is above all. That is the freedom to fiddle with our minds...our consciousness. Without that mankind would have never gotten anywhere.

Can you imagine if the government made "speaking in tongues" or "dancing to gospel" illegal because it got people "high" and they experienced a change in their mindsets? Or if coffee was pulled from the market along with booze because some people like the way they make them feel?

Short of something being a concentrated poison, I support most all drugs being legal. Sure, maybe there would be some constraints on purchase, but still I do not support government telling me I can't smoke a week that grows in my garden. That is ridiculous any way you look at it.

^ ^ This poster is my C-D Hero today ... there is so much truth in what he says.

I'd like to add that you may want to give it a few before you evaluate us Coloradoans. Right now it's still very heated here in some areas more than others. Some municipalities are still not recognizing that the democratic process played out & the people have spoken.

There is still alot of propoganda in some communities regarding concerns such as crime & contraband in schools. I'm not even a pot user but it's very, very obvious how the media is being manipulated into playing on people's fears.

I'm hoping it is just growing pains. It will be interesting to see how things turn out. I can say that as the mother of 11, ages 12-30; I feel like I'm pretty in touch with what is going on with kids, schools & even law enforcement.

Weed does not scare me. Alcohol scares me. Pills scare me. I have not seen that weed is leading to pills. I HAVE seen that a LACK of weed can lead to pills; both prescribed & recreational.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Why are so many Christians against medical cannabis legalization?

It relieves pain of those who suffer. Doesn't make any sense to me.
The virtue of suffering is central to the Christian mythos. In most languages the word for 'Easter' literally translates to 'the suffering'.

The very concept of recreational drugs is contrary to the worldview of a religion that has instituted hair shirts, the cilice, self flaggelation and in some extreme sects the complete abolition of any sort of medical intervention for any disease or condition apart from prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates