Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 05:00 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I am another who has been frustrated, to say the least, that any disagreement has been met with screams of "racist" or "bigot" or "hater." It is the constant use of those words to shut down any discussion that has led to where we are today. I believe that Obama's and the Democratic party's position on pretty much every economic issue, foreign policy issue, and on basic Constitutional rights has been wrong. Yet to state that brings cries of "racist hater" from the left. In fact I believe that is the fundamental reason our Congress has been unable to move forward for the last eight years -- because any disagreement results in that response.

Just like I doubt this thread will be able to last long for the same reason. I agree with you.
It didn't. See Post 5. There's the race card, in full view and for no reason.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:00 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,763 times
https://www.facebook.com/viralthread...8130190359668/

Old 11-14-2016, 06:36 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sorry, maybe you haven't seen Trump supporters gloating in person, but read most of the posts by Trump supporters on the Politics Forum here and you will see plenty of gloating.

I'll gloat. Gloat. What was your point? Oh yes, elections have consequences. Hmmmm....who said that?

Obama to GOP: ‘I Won’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

President Donald Trump

Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Ask yourself what possible reason a rational person could have for trying to talk to an irrational supply-sider, bible-thumper, Swift Boater, or Birther? What about those who bought into Death Panels or WMDs, or wag-the-doggers who thought it would be more important to spend a year worrying about Monica Lewinsky instead of Osama bin Laden? There are people who have been flat-out wrong about absolutely everything for most of half a century now. And they STILL expect to be taken seriously today. There's your problem. Try facing up to it for once.
I guess we an now add "land-sliders" to the list above.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
In my experience that's way better than the schizophrenic, insult-laden pure hatred shown by the "forces of tolerance and acceptance" that voted for Hillary. In their view, anybody supporting Trump is a sexist racist deplorable piece of sh#t whose opinion doesn't count. You simply can't discuss anything with these people, they don't listen and now that they've lost they start foaming at the mouth and throwing obscenities. They just can't get it that decent, hard working, non-racist, non-sexist people voted for Trump because they are sick of corrupt politicians that dismiss them as no longer a trendy or important group of voters, and don't even try to pretend any longer that they want to help.

The Hillary groupies are impossible to hold an intelligent discussion with, they are a hateful brainwashed cult that punishes any dissent. I am done talking to them.
Really??

How can you not see that your post is doing the exact same thing??

Are you really so blinded by hatred that you don't see people on the "right" saying the exact same deplorable things about people on the "left"? And vice versa? You don't have to even leave CD to find plenty of examples.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The election was no landslide. Hillary won the popular vote, by what appears will be a decent amount - currently a margin of 630,000 votes. She lost the 3 swing states - MI, WI, and PA - that cost her the election by a margin of about 120,000 votes total. Out of about 121 million cast.

The protestors are standing against bigotry, racism, and disrespect towards women. Count me as one that stands with them.

You know how Trump supporters don't like to be accused of guilt by association with the KKK, because they also support Trump? Well don't accuse me of guilt by association with anarchists and vandals. There have been tens of thousands of protestors, and about 200-250? arrests nationwide, the majority of those in Portland, OR which seems to have featured the most unruly activity.

In my little town, we had 400 protestors. No arrests.

I am disappointed in the protestors though. I'd like to know where this activism and passion was, leading up to the election? I have a strong suspicion many of them did not vote.

Can't rep you anymore--it seems i almost unanimously agree with your consistently thoughtful, logical posts. This one above is particularly excellent

Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
He needed 270 electoral votes. He got well over 300. That was a landslide.

The popular vote difference is about 1%. But there's 400,000 yet uncounted votes in Arizona alone.

Thursday: More than 400,000 votes left to count in Arizona; final total to come next week

In this country, the elections are won by electoral college.

Put it the other way - he had won in an overwhelming number of counties.
Ooh, no, sorry, that's not actually how it works. How many counties a candidate wins doesn't determine electoral votes.

And, really, even if with an electoral college victory, without the popular vote as well, one cannot seriously claim a "landslide" victory. Landslide implies the majority of the people are on your side.

One more point; last I read (yesterday) California still had 4 million uncounted votes that won't make a bit of difference. Other than increasing Hillary's share of the popular vote.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:14 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
One more point; last I read (yesterday) California still had 4 million uncounted votes that won't make a bit of difference. Other than increasing Hillary's share of the popular vote.
As of now, it appears that Hillary will win the popular vote by more than twice the margin that Al Gore did in 2000. The current system creates an unfair advantage for voters in small, rural states. Which is to say, for conservative candidates. That edge has made the difference now twice in 16 years. There are Constitutional barriers to eliminating the Electoral College, but there are certainly ways to prevent it from doing again what it has recently done.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Ooh, no, sorry, that's not actually how it works. How many counties a candidate wins doesn't determine electoral votes.

And, really, even if with an electoral college victory, without the popular vote as well, one cannot seriously claim a "landslide" victory. Landslide implies the majority of the people are on your side.

Ah, but the GOP won the Presidency, held the House and Senate, and now has 33 governorships. In addition, there have now been a shift of over 900 state legislative seats from Dem to Rep. This is a broad-based, nationwide mandate far outweighing the popular vote of one hyper-liberal state.

Having made that point, I would like to see the national conversation move on from the current wallowing in recriminations to a discussion of specific policies. No amount of post-adolescents screaming in the streets of Portland is going to advance solutions to illegal immigration, healthcare for all, the environment, or our infrastructure. We need to consider these very real problems with a higher level of civility and maturity than most voices on the left and right have displayed since the election.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,456 times
I just love walking down the street and knowing that people I smile at hate me to the core because I happen to have been born a different colour or gender or they think I have a particular political opinion, etc.. I smile at them all - I don't know who they are, I don't care about their colour or gender or age or even their political bent. We don't 'know' each other at all. And apparently we are not likely to ever either.

You dismiss us as stupid or vengeful - out to get YOU just because we exist and you wish we didn't. You go off and sob because we are so 'mean to you'. Yep, my smiles and friendliness are mean. No doubt about that .. I can see why that is so hard to take.

You tell us you can't talk to us because you know us and frankly, you are so very wrong it is hilarious - but that doesn't change the fact that you are hurting yourselves as much as you are us. If you took down the hate barrier for one second, we might actually be able to talk - but you don't really want that, do you? You want to just continue to find something to hate. Blows my mind that you want to live that way but what can I do about it.

United we stand .. divided we fall. I can only assume those who hate and won't even discuss the problems they see with us who they just 'hate' because they want to, want us all to fall. Remember though ... you will go with us too. The only ones left standing will be the elite and they will have even bigger smiles on their faces. They want us to fall - and you are feeding right into their agenda.

But, though you may 'hate', I don't and I would appreciate not being told I 'hate' when you don't even have a clue about me or my views, who I associate with or care about or who I am. I am tired of all the unwarranted hatred. I am tired of being accused of guilt by association - with people I have no control over or responsibility for. They are not my children or my family - I have NO influence whatsoever over those who might be in the KKK or some other group you despise. And I am not your problem .. you are.

Hatred is causing those of you who self-indulge in it to eat yourselves. Keep munching though, folks .. perhaps that is the only solution to the problem of how to go about reducing the amount of hatred in this country.

Last edited by Aery11; 11-14-2016 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates