Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 04:13 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

On my way into Glasgow the other night I noticed how bright all the lights of the city were from afar and wondered just how much light is being wasted from street lights etc,that could be harnessed, has anyone else thought about this, there is no need for so many street lights when so much is going to waste shining up into the sky. Im now reading more about this, and found some interesting stuff

As well as blighting the view of the night sky, inefficient lighting wastes over £1bn a year in the UK alone, according to the Astronomical Association's Campaign for Dark Skies (CfDS).

It has been blamed for disrupting the migration of birds, the breeding patterns of nocturnal animals and insect populations. Research has also shown it disrupts people's sleep patterns, while one study has suggested a link to breast cancer.

So with increasing calls for artificial light to be used only "when and where it is needed", what are the possible solutions to help ease the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 06:12 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
It really depends on your definition of waste. In a big city light = safety. I wouldn't want my wife or children walking down a dimly lit city street at night. Heck, I wouldn't want to do it either. I also live near and work in Detroit, so my view may be tainted a bit.

If rural areas were needlessly lit up I'd agree, but I don't see any alternative to lighting up a big city.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:16 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
And over on the Maryland Forum you have posters demanding rural Interstate Highways have lights their entire length.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
It really depends on your definition of waste. In a big city light = safety. I wouldn't want my wife or children walking down a dimly lit city street at night. Heck, I wouldn't want to do it either. I also live near and work in Detroit, so my view may be tainted a bit.

If rural areas were needlessly lit up I'd agree, but I don't see any alternative to lighting up a big city.
Light can be made so that it is more directed and better serve the specific purpose without needlessly lighting other areas - this also saves energy.

I think it is a very basic belief...archaic...that light is "good" and triumphs over "evil". I'd have to look it up but I believe that more light doesn't always mean less crime, that has been assumed. So anyway, the overriding thought is that more light is obviously better, without examination of the costs. And perhaps in recent times it is a sign of prosperity - you can afford to put on a huge display of light? Starting with the Columbian Exposition, I believe?

Too much light throws off our circadian rhythms, is costly, and is not always effective at what it intends.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Light can be made so that it is more directed and better serve the specific purpose without needlessly lighting other areas - this also saves energy.

I think it is a very basic belief...archaic...that light is "good" and triumphs over "evil". I'd have to look it up but I believe that more light doesn't always mean less crime, that has been assumed. So anyway, the overriding thought is that more light is obviously better, without examination of the costs. And perhaps in recent times it is a sign of prosperity - you can afford to put on a huge display of light? Starting with the Columbian Exposition, I believe?

Too much light throws off our circadian rhythms, is costly, and is not always effective at what it intends.
If there is a better way to light cities that directs more of it where it is needed I am all for it. I stand by my assertion that lighting in a city setting is good for preventing crime. It is much easier to be aware of your surroundings when you can actually see them.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
There's no light pollution here. Every night is pitch black unless the moon is out.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:42 AM

What Im getting at more is the waste of energy from lighting going upwards towards the sky, surely lighting can be diverted only downwards and street lights could be maximized by refelctive hoods saving loads of energy and allowing for less street lights...

Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
If there is a better way to light cities that directs more of it where it is needed I am all for it. I stand by my assertion that lighting in a city setting is good for preventing crime. It is much easier to be aware of your surroundings when you can actually see them.
Of course we need lighting, and Im all for that but its the waste of energy with too many lights on motorways that can be seen from planes, all that energy is shining upwards , Why is this, its not required, then what about the big supermarkets and shops who burn electric lights all day, some never switch off with shops open 24hours, why dont they use more glass roof styles that were used in the old weaving sheds of the past, they had pointed two sided glass roofs to allow in as much natural lighting as possible, now almost every shop is just a headache with piercing strong lighting that is definitely not required, most shops could live with half that lighting . Im all for reflective materials being used , surely that wouldnt be so difficult. Electrical pollution is also affecting our health.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Here's a very short article:
New research: Streetlights don't actually reduce crime or accidents. : TreeHugger

Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
People are very peculiar beings.
No lights - they beetch.
Plenty of light - they beetch.
And all it takes is ONE person to start the gobble.
You come here, Scott, and walk/drive on our back roads where there is slim to none lighting. Especially when it's pouring down. It may be an en-lightening experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates