Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I've read various comparisons, texting/using a cellphone while driving is 4X, 6X, even 8X more dangerous than driving drunk on the roads, and that depends on their blood alcohol level.

Here, in Nevada, the fine for texting/using a cellphone while driving is a measly $50, for a first offense, compared to a drunk driving charge of $2000+.

Now something just doesn't add up here on my calculator! You would think, given the comparison, that the former fine should be close to $4000-$5000.

What do you think?

Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times
Yes I agree completely. It needs to be taken far more seriously.

In fact it might even deserve to be penalized much stiffer.

They give people DUIs nowadays for very very low BA levels. There is a HUGE difference between driving with a .08 and driving with a .25. Texting is 100% distracted and not even looking at the road. That is far more dangerous than somebody driving after they've had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, yet that person will lose their license and pay ridiculously high fines and the person not even looking at the road will get a $50 slap on the wrist.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've read various comparisons, texting/using a cellphone while driving is 4X, 6X, even 8X more dangerous than driving drunk on the roads, and that depends on their blood alcohol level.

Here, in Nevada, the fine for texting/using a cellphone while driving is a measly $50, for a first offense, compared to a drunk driving charge of $2000+.

Now something just doesn't add up here on my calculator! You would think, given the comparison, that the former fine should be close to $4000-$5000.

What do you think?
I think driving while not looking at the road for 5-10 seconds at a time is madness.I'm surprised a device isnt incorporated into cars that prevents cell phone use from the drivers seat while the car is in motion.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
It would appear, to me, that lobbying money may possibly be the root of it!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:32 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
It's been a long time since I've been in an accident, and never been in one that I caused. But of the maybe 10 close calls I've had in the past 8 years, in every one the other driver was on a hand-held cell phone, and a couple were texting. I'm okay with hands-free cell phone, but texting should be absolutely forbidden with extremely high fines.

On a side note, I have Onstar, which I really like. Every once in a while a screen will pop up with a long paragraph explaining why you shouldn't be watching the Onstar screen for more than a couple of seconds.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:32 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Sure, it needs to be taken more seriously. But think back to early DUI fines - they were MUCH less than now...and the level needed to be considered DUI was higher, so you needed to be more impaired to be classified as such. It is only with awareness and a change in public opinion that higher fines will be supported.

It used to be a joke if someone was driving drunk and weaving around on the road...now there has been a 180 degree turnaround such that it takes YEARS for a DUI to fall off your record and you'll pay thousands of dollars in fines. The American public doesn't like gray - black and white only, thank you very much! So the pendulum will swing as there are more studies quantifying the degree of "impairment" from texting, probably making comparisons to DUI and publicizing accidents related to texting.

Now we'll need the same thing for pot, tranquilizers, sedatives, etc...and maybe screaming kids in the back seat!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's been a long time since I've been in an accident, and never been in one that I caused. But of the maybe 10 close calls I've had in the past 8 years, in every one the other driver was on a hand-held cell phone, and a couple were texting. I'm okay with hands-free cell phone, but texting should be absolutely forbidden with extremely high fines.

On a side note, I have Onstar, which I really like. Every once in a while a screen will pop up with a long paragraph explaining why you shouldn't be watching the Onstar screen for more than a couple of seconds.
So this is ironic, right? The length of time to read the long paragraph is much longer than the 2 seconds max you should have your eyes off the road? Not well thought out at all and shouldn't really keep them free of liability.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you aware that multiple studies have shown that using a phone "hands-free" is just as risky as holding the phone? The distraction is due to talking on the phone, not just taking your eyes off the road. Drivers should pay attention to their driving, not talking about minutiae on the phone, like what you want for dinner. 99% of calls can wait until the car is pulled over and off the road.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:22 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Are you aware that multiple studies have shown that using a phone "hands-free" is just as risky as holding the phone? The distraction is due to talking on the phone, not just taking your eyes off the road. Drivers should pay attention to their driving, not talking about minutiae on the phone, like what you want for dinner. 99% of calls can wait until the car is pulled over and off the road.
Yes, I am aware of that. But there are limits to what we can expect. It's like states in which it's illegal to drink from a water bottle when you're driving. That's an unreasonable limitation, in my view.

You can also be distracted by looking at some building passing. Shall we make "looking" illegal, also? If you look at a billboard should you get 3 points?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:04 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Yes I agree completely. It needs to be taken far more seriously.

In fact it might even deserve to be penalized much stiffer.

They give people DUIs nowadays for very very low BA levels. There is a HUGE difference between driving with a .08 and driving with a .25. Texting is 100% distracted and not even looking at the road. That is far more dangerous than somebody driving after they've had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, yet that person will lose their license and pay ridiculously high fines and the person not even looking at the road will get a $50 slap on the wrist.

I agree. I think the fines for texting should be the same if not higher than DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates