Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times

Advertisements

Diversity only benefits the wealthy.. Countries with strong middle class are nationalistic, very homogeneous cultures and xenophobic. Just look at all the 1st world countries and look at their race makeup.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
It's good for innovation and business. In terms of its effects on the social fabric of a country, I think it's positive if done right.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...es-us-smarter/

Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
So many people seem to like the "survival of the fittest" idea - diversity takes it to the sociological level.

The more variety (in ideas), the more competition (hopefully not actual war!), the stronger the society? The better ideas rise to the top, all things being equal although special interest groups may cause some ideas to be unfairly weighted and thus wreak havoc.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Disallowing these people from entering does not stop them from victimizing innocent children. In only means their victims are in their country rather than ours. But why does that matter? Victims are human, regardless.
This answer really confuses me. So, if the bubonic plague is decimating a country, you think it's okay to let infected people in? To make it fair or something?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
a billboard out side of Harrison Arkansas........" Diversity is a buzzword for white genocide "

Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This answer really confuses me. So, if the bubonic plague is decimating a country, you think it's okay to let infected people in? To make it fair or something?
Why do you think it is MORE plausible that our culture would shift to match theirs, rather than that their culture would shift to match ours, upon allowing them into our borders?

You are saying their culture is like an infectious disease, but why would our culture be less infectious than theirs?

Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why do you think it is MORE plausible that our culture would shift to match theirs, rather than that their culture would shift to match ours, upon allowing them into our borders?

You are saying their culture is like an infectious disease, but why would our culture be less infectious than theirs?

I think you've hit on the crux of the issue. It's all about numbers, isn't it? We hear about neighborhoods in England that are 90% Muslim. The native population suddenly feels threatened. Women who wear short skirts are harassed.

I think, like someone else said, a slow gradual influx is much better. It allows the incoming population to assimilate.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think you've hit on the crux of the issue. It's all about numbers, isn't it? We hear about neighborhoods in England that are 90% Muslim. The native population suddenly feels threatened. Women who wear short skirts are harassed.

I think, like someone else said, a slow gradual influx is much better. It allows the incoming population to assimilate.
It doesn't matter if its gradual or rapid.

There are groups of people who refuse to assimilate and will establish like minded enclaves and also other groups who have deeply ingrained cultural values that are incompatible with civilized or western society.

I want no part of that they can stay where they are.

No thanks.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
“The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department.”
―Thomas Sowell

http://www.thetowntalk.com/story/opi...raud/95758132/

From that link:

Quote:
But what justifies diversity? Nothing but unsupported assertions, repeated endlessly, piously and loudly.

Today, as in the past, diversity is essentially a fancy word for group quotas. It is one of a number of wholly subjective criteria -- such as ''leadership'' -- used to admit students to colleges and universities according to their group membership, rather than according to their individual qualifications
My wife is a native of the Philippines yet the word diversity makes me want to puke. It is a code word for race based quotas and liberal immigration policies. When I was young this nation was referred to as a melting pot. Which means that groups assimilated and that our population shared at least some common values.

Quote:
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”-- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by whogo; 03-29-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
What we see in the U.S. today is not the result of racial diversity, it's economic and religious diversity. The poor Americans of all races blame much or at least some of their misfortune on the immigrants that come in with money and buy property, driving up prices, and for taking jobs away from them. Though there are definite differences in the numbers, there are people of most/all races in the top income levels just as there are in the lowest, and among the homeless. Religious differences have always been a major cause of war, and yes, there are religious differences now that are now causing domestic problems. This is obvious when looking at the political party platforms, despite the "separation of church and state" as in Thomas Jefferson's 1802 letter, and article 6 of the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates