Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 01:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
This is completely insane logic.

Comparing modern society 10 years ago to a completely different societal era over a century and a half ago is a ludacrus straw man argument.
Or how about all Muslims shouldn't feel guilty for the actions of the jihadists?

Or how about the Muslims and their families who have been living here for decades and have been law abiding citizens? Many of which have made a success of their lives.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Liberals and the media believe in the "inherent" goodness of diversity. It is more PC "feel good" propaganda that cannot be substantiated. Diversity may be good in certain instances, not good in others. Trying to force people to accept it doesn't work.
Your right diversity is a terrible idea.

This guy for example should not have been allowed into the country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahid_Khan

Old 03-30-2017, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have always wondered about the benefits of diversity in schools. Many school rankings weight diversity very highly. However in practical application, I have not seen a benefit. The "diverse" schools I have been involved with are very segregated. White students take these classes, hang out in this area and avoid the Hispanic students who take those classes and hang out in a different area while the black student congregate in yet another area and take a separate group of classes. Students of other races who cross into the wrong area or classes are subject to bullying or even violence. Students from these schools are more prejudiced than students from homogonous schools for whom people of another race/culture are something of a mystery. They are better equipt to maturely address and accept race and culture differences when they get to college. When classes are mixed, I have not ever seen some great new wave of thought developing form diversity of culture or ideas. And talking with some teachers, college professors and college students, while they will always say diversity = good when you ask them for concrete examples demonstrating the benefits, they have nothing.

While I would agree it may be a good value in and of itself, I am not sure the whole "diversity of ideas" thing really mounts to a hill of beans, especially in the K-12 schools. I am certainly not sold ont he idea that kids who attend diverse schools are better educated or better equipped for dealing with adult life. In fact, my experience is the opposite.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have always wondered about the benefits of diversity in schools. Many school rankings weight diversity very highly. However in practical application, I have not seen a benefit. The "diverse" schools I have been involved with are very segregated. White students take these classes, hang out in this area and avoid the Hispanic students who take those classes and hang out in a different area while the black student congregate in yet another area and take a separate group of classes. Students of other races who cross into the wrong area or classes are subject to bullying or even violence. Students from these schools are more prejudiced than students from homogonous schools for whom people of another race/culture are something of a mystery. They are better equipt to maturely address and accept race and culture differences when they get to college. When classes are mixed, I have not ever seen some great new wave of thought developing form diversity of culture or ideas. And talking with some teachers, college professors and college students, while they will always say diversity = good when you ask them for concrete examples demonstrating the benefits, they have nothing.

While I would agree it may be a good value in and of itself, I am not sure the whole "diversity of ideas" thing really mounts to a hill of beans, especially in the K-12 schools. I am certainly not sold ont he idea that kids who attend diverse schools are better educated or better equipped for dealing with adult life. In fact, my experience is the opposite.
Back in the 60s when integration rolled through my community, I went to an integrated school for the first time in the 7th grade. Until then, literally, I had never met a white person, never called one by name. I had never sat in a classroom or even a movie theater with a white kid.

And they had never met any of us. We had had absolutely zero interaction, not in parks, not on playgrounds, not at all.

And we did not get into fights or do any bullying. But then, hardly anyone got into fights anyway. And it was that way through my high school.

And that was even before Loving v Virginia. It was while Malcolm X was still active, while there were riots in major cities, while we (even I) were still marching for Civil Rights.

There is a lot more evil and anger in society today and in school hallways, and it's not created by integration.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Some effects are real

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Liberals and the media believe in the "inherent" goodness of diversity. It is more PC "feel good" propaganda that cannot be substantiated. Diversity may be good in certain instances, not good in others. Trying to force people to accept it doesn't work.
In biology, there is such a thing as hybrid vigor - the people who breed dogs (any domestic animals, really, but dogs will do) can tell you that the purebreds often have physical problems - breathing (nasal passages foreshortened), joint problems, bad temper, etc. Mutts tend to be healthier & have better dispositions - because they haven't been inbred to make sure desired characteristics are brute-force passed on to the next generation.

Imperial Japan & Nazi Germany & (to a lesser extent, I think) Fascist Italy went on & on about racial purity, as if that measured anything. Now we can do the genetic assays & show how near the mark they were - I suspect that IJ actually had the smallest gene pool of the three, with Germany & Italy following.

But when push came to shove, those genes don't seem to have counted for much. Or @ least, not in the sense of superhuman warriors that their leadership seemed to want those categories to count for. Something to consider, when our leadership tells us how special we are, & how the World turns upon what we do in the here & now.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:08 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know a number of Muslims who have very strong family values. In fact, if Americans had as strong family values as some of the Muslims I know, we'd have far fewer problems.
If America had really strong Muslim values we would be like Saudi Arabia or Iran

Old 03-30-2017, 05:15 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or how about all Muslims shouldn't feel guilty for the actions of the jihadists?

Or how about the Muslims and their families who have been living here for decades and have been law abiding citizens? Many of which have made a success of their lives.
Guess they should be really be appalled by the actions of the radicals. Usually they just bad mouth Christians Maybe I should move to Saudi Arabia and badmouth Muslims and see how that goes

Im an Atheist and Im not stupid enough to think that I would have the freedom to practice my non-religian in any predominately Muslim country. Even the great supposedly Secular Muslim country, Turkey, is going backwards fast with its return to its Islamic past. Or even Indonesia, where as an Atheist I could not even marry.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 03-30-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
If America had really strong Muslim values we would be like Saudi Arabia or Iran
Conservatives love most of their values and laws that oppress anybody that is liberal

Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Back in the 60s when integration rolled through my community, I went to an integrated school for the first time in the 7th grade. Until then, literally, I had never met a white person, never called one by name. I had never sat in a classroom or even a movie theater with a white kid.

And they had never met any of us. We had had absolutely zero interaction, not in parks, not on playgrounds, not at all.

And we did not get into fights or do any bullying. But then, hardly anyone got into fights anyway. And it was that way through my high school.

And that was even before Loving v Virginia. It was while Malcolm X was still active, while there were riots in major cities, while we (even I) were still marching for Civil Rights.

There is a lot more evil and anger in society today and in school hallways, and it's not created by integration.
I am convinced per capita the most racist groups are prisoners and middle schoolers.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:48 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am convinced per capita the most racist groups are prisoners and middle schoolers.
There is an interesting essay on the web about the common characteristics of prison culture and high school culture, and why they are socially identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates