Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What makes me laugh is when I hear someone say, "Well I have Black friends", and then I press them on it. "What do you mean by 'friends'"? "Well, I'm friends with a couple of Black guys at work." "They've been at your house?" "Well, no." "You've been to their house?" "Well, no." You and your wife go out to movies and/or dinner with them?" "Well, no." "You go to football games together?" "Well, no." Yeah.
Do you really "press them on it"? I doubt it.
'Black' doesn't get capitalized, btw.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:05 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
It does in black media.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,153,578 times
"Diversity" is a word-god of the left. They only like "diversity" when it's a word and when it's superficial, as in skin color, sexual habits, nationality other than American, etc.
They can not and will not tolerate diversity of opinion. Notice the riots when the occasional, rare conservative attempts a campus speech.

Are there riots when the 95% leftist campus speakers show up? NO.

These are the diversity-worshipers. In a nutshell--and the term could not be more appropriate--they are so insecure, superstitious, and self-hating that they despise where they came from. Hate America. Hate Western Civ. Hate whites. Yet they never move to Cuba or China or Venezuela, where their kind rule.

Notice the word "excellence" is rarely used? That's because excellence demands standards, which the nutshell crowd has determined is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. All the things they are.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It does in black media.
I like that.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:58 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Excellent point. If I had to be a hyphenated American, I would be a German-Scottish-English-French-Swiss-American -- or perhaps a Mutt-American (lol)? I completely agree with you that anyone who is a citizen of the United States should refer to themselves as (just) American -- period.
So may I assume that you're opposed to:

German-American Heritage Foundation
German-American Business Association
German-American National Congress
National German-American Alliance
German American Chamber of Commerce
German-American Pioneers
German Society Of Pennsylvania
German-American Police Association
New Generation German-American Club
German-American Musicians Association
(there are lots more)

American-Scottish Foundation
Scottish-American Society
Council Of Scottish Clans & Associations
Scottish-American Athletic Association
Scottish Heritage Association
(there are lots more)

Now I could gone on and listed many more in each of the ethic categories that you mention.

But here's my question not just for you:

In reading through this thread, it seems that there's the general perception out there that heritage -- if it's white and Christian -- those folks fit right into the American mainstream. But if the color is different, or the religion is different -- then they fit in. I call that racism and/or nationalism.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have had conversation where I press them on it. Because I hate that argument that "I have a Black friend(s)." Because it's usually nonsense.

I capitalize what I want to capitalize.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have had conversation where I press them on it. Because I hate that argument that "I have a Black friend(s)." Because it's usually nonsense.

I capitalize what I want to capitalize.
You seem to get into a lot of arguments with strangers about race ... very odd.

You can capitalize all you want, it's still wrong. Plus, now that you know, it makes you look immature.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
So may I assume that you're opposed to:

German-American Heritage Foundation
German-American Business Association
German-American National Congress
National German-American Alliance
German American Chamber of Commerce
German-American Pioneers
German Society Of Pennsylvania
German-American Police Association
New Generation German-American Club
German-American Musicians Association
(there are lots more)

American-Scottish Foundation
Scottish-American Society
Council Of Scottish Clans & Associations
Scottish-American Athletic Association
Scottish Heritage Association
(there are lots more)

Now I could gone on and listed many more in each of the ethic categories that you mention.

But here's my question not just for you:

In reading through this thread, it seems that there's the general perception out there that heritage -- if it's white and Christian -- those folks fit right into the American mainstream. But if the color is different, or the religion is different -- then they fit in. I call that racism and/or nationalism.
Sorry, but i don't understand what you are saying/asking. Are you saying that you think people SHOULD identify themselves as other than "just plain American"? If you do think that way, I have no problem with you or anyone else having that opinion, even though I don't share it.

But perhaps I was the one who was unclear. When I listed all those nationalities, it was only to identify my heritage as I believe it to be. In other words, I am a self-admitted mix of European heritage. That is NOT to say that this is a good thing or a bad thing, but only to say that I don't see the point why some people seem to feel the need to have another identifier other than simply to say they are Americans. I think that today, the majority of people born in the U.S. are, like me, have ancestors from a mix of countries.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
You seem to get into a lot of arguments with strangers about race ... very odd.

You can capitalize all you want, it's still wrong. Plus, now that you know, it makes you look immature.
No, I have conversations about race with people I know because it is a topic that interests me and many of my friends and associates in education. Perhaps you only discuss the topic on forums anonymously. I'm willing to discuss it face to face.

I know that generally it is not capitalized. No news to me. But, personally, since we capitalize Asians, and Latinos, and Europeans, I think it's appropriate to capitalize races. I don't care if you don't like it.

As far as these conversations I have had, I'll give you an example. One day in the school where I was principal, the topic at the math meeting was student test scores, and, more specifically, which groups of students were under-performing. One of the teachers said, in reference to Black students, "Well, you know how they live." And I responded with, "What do you mean by that?" "Well, you know. We all know how Black people live." "Do we? Since you've been teaching here at this school, how many homes of your Black students (which made up about 15% of her classes) have you visited?" "Well, none." "In your 20 years of teaching, how many homes of Black students, or for that matter, Latino students, have you visited?" "Well, none." "Then how do you know how Black people live and how does how they live affect the kid's education?" "Well, I have a Black friend." "Oh, tell me about your Black friend. Have you been to her house? Has she been to your house?" "She's been to my home many times. She's my maid." "Oh. So do you invite her to your house to have dinner, or to make your dinner? And how does your relationship with your maid help you understand why our Black children seem to be struggling at a higher rate?"

And this is the kind of crapola that I have heard from more than one teacher who claims to know why Black children don't perform as well academically in many settings as White children. And all too often, the "friend" turned out to be a casual acquaintance like a maid, or a clerk, or someone like that, but rarely someone that had been invited into their home, or whose home they had visited. And yet, "knowing" these people in such a superficial way someone makes them an expert on the lifestyles of minorities. I find it laughable.

Last edited by phetaroi; 04-01-2017 at 02:03 AM..

Old 04-01-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry, but i don't understand what you are saying/asking. Are you saying that you think people SHOULD identify themselves as other than "just plain American"? If you do think that way, I have no problem with you or anyone else having that opinion, even though I don't share it.

But perhaps I was the one who was unclear. When I listed all those nationalities, it was only to identify my heritage as I believe it to be. In other words, I am a self-admitted mix of European heritage. That is NOT to say that this is a good thing or a bad thing, but only to say that I don't see the point why some people seem to feel the need to have another identifier other than simply to say they are Americans. I think that today, the majority of people born in the U.S. are, like me, have ancestors from a mix of countries.
What I am saying isn't that complex. Many people in this thread have repeatedly said that people should forget about race and just fit in. And they seem to focus on African-Americans and Latino-Americans, and, most often, people of color. I am pointing out that White Germans and other White ethnic groups have not just fit in. They have had and continue to have organizations and events that separate their cultural background from the American-culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.