Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
In many countries it is always said that diversity is great and that it only strengthens them. But is it really? It seems like countries that have a lot of diversity, especially speaking of racial and religious diversity have some of the biggest issues; war, poverty, divide, conflict etc. Yet look at say, Japan, for the good part when it comes to race, religion, etc it is doing very well.

Yet look at countries both past and present that were diverse and it ultimately always seems to ultimately end in ruin. The Roman Empire became diverse; destroyed from within. Austrio-Hungray was diverse; pretty much sucked at everything they did in WWI and had all kinds of issues leading to its dissolution. Then look at today where countries in the West are primarily accepting refugees and others with belief like, values, ideas etc that are far different than what the host nations are used to leading to lots of crime, and discord.

So honestly, when it comes to things such as peace, prosperity, a general sense of unity would it not ultimately be best if every country, like Japan had one race, one language, one religion, one general outlook regarding things etc etc etc?

Homogeneous nations seem to do better than those that aren't.
I enjoy the enovation as well as other positive benefits of diversity, but I enjoy living in a homogeneous environment.

For me, this means that in the United States I'm all for large melting pot cities with large immigrant populations providing said immigrants are legal and have something to offer this country. You won't catch me living in one, but I support them. I like living in a conservative upper middle-class area outside of a medium sized city (under 500k metro) that is 90% white/Hispanic.

I guess that makes me an ***hole, but I'm just being honest. When I want to experience diversity I travel and take lots of pictures

Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,330,292 times
With all due respect, what a bunch of idiocies.
Homogeneous societies are as prone to unrest than diverse ones.
What sets people apart is money, economic conditions, people will kill you if you have a bicicle and they have not, not because you are bluish in the cormers.
The division in the US is artificial and purely economical, a war of poors against poors while middle class and rich call them barbaric, etc.
A class struggle, poor medievals against poor workers.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
people are people...

the American dream is alive and well- if you want to work hard you can work your way out of being poor..
if you want to go to college you still can do whatever you want,,,,go four years to be a nurse,,,you got it made for life..

people are their own worst anchors..particularly when they start taking substances, or doing crimes
this is a life of choices.

look in the mirror every morning .......not blame others

diversity ...cultures?? we are all peoples

I grew up with different ethnicities...we got along ...without pointing blame or fingers..
the problems arose if someone was an ass..no matter the color or creed...

you usually get what you give..

if you wake up in the morning and the world is ugly- change it..

work is the cornerstone of self-esteem and opportunities..and keep your nose clean..

Old 04-02-2017, 08:15 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
people are people...

the American dream is alive and well- if you want to work hard you can work your way out of being poor..
if you want to go to college you still can do whatever you want,,,,go four years to be a nurse,,,you got it made for life..

people are their own worst anchors..particularly when they start taking substances, or doing crimes
this is a life of choices.

look in the mirror every morning .......not blame others

diversity ...cultures?? we are all peoples

I grew up with different ethnicities...we got along ...without pointing blame or fingers..
the problems arose if someone was an ass..no matter the color or creed...

you usually get what you give..

if you wake up in the morning and the world is ugly- change it..

work is the cornerstone of self-esteem and opportunities..and keep your nose clean..
Exactly right, man!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(2nd paragraph)

Diversity..........means " difference"

The main goal of liberals to achieve diversity is getting black males with white females(who, btw, have a lot of the same traits and wants, but not in a positive way) and moving black families into white neighborhoods (whether they can afford to live there or not).

Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The problem is that, once the number of Muslims in a country becomes at or near majority, they let the radicals get behind the wheel and let them drive the rest of them.
That's nonsense. Indonesia is the largest majority Muslim country in the world and that doesn't apply at all there.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:46 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's nonsense. Indonesia is the largest majority Muslim country in the world and that doesn't apply at all there.
And I pointed out that it wasn't true for Senegal either.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times
Truth is dead. A significant segment of the population simply doesn't care about it anymore.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Seems like if you were really friends with black people you'd know what they prefer to be called.
There is no generalization that can be made. Some prefer African American, some prefer Black, most seem to prefer "Bob, Jim, Natasha, etc."

I think it is funny that people who know noting about me nor my friends come an here and say "They are nto really your friends" Sorry but they are. I do not treat people differently because of their skin color. They are not special (which ticks some people off). I do not got to football games with anyone, nor do we frequently have people over for meals. But yes, we go out to dinner or for drinks occasionally (mostly for lunch), we serve on various committees or service organizations together sometimes, converse on facebook, meet for lunch, sometimes attend each other's kids' events, etc. For the most part, like most friends form any culture, it is an occasional lunch or drinks with the other things sprinkled in at times. I recognize I am prejudiced, Everyone is, some people just try to deny it or disprove it. I do not. Everyone is prejudiced. Recognize it and put it away is better than trying to hide a psychological fact. Yes, we discuss that fact and joke about it at times.

My Black friends are not better than my white friends. I am not better or different in any way because I have friends form different races. I might know a tiny bit more about aspects of another culture than people with only friends from the same culture, but nothing really significant. i do not know many people from the barrio, most are in the same social/economic strata and most live very simlar lives to mine, albeit in a different place typically. I do not have much opportunity to encounter or befriend people form other social'/economic strata, and I do not have enough in common to build much of a relationship. I find when you cross social/economic lines the conversation is usually based on things I do not do (sports, hunting, sports, drinking, sports).

Old 04-06-2017, 11:21 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
The main goal of liberals to achieve diversity is getting black males with white females(who, btw, have a lot of the same traits and wants, but not in a positive way) and moving black families into white neighborhoods (whether they can afford to live there or not).
Evidence, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates