Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 07:40 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times

Advertisements

Diversity is working out really well for sweeden

Swedish Feminists Flee Suburbs Due to Islamic Fundamentalism

Old 03-31-2017, 08:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Diversity = conflict. It's a terrible idea.

And in this country at least, "diversity" ultimately means "fewer white people", so it is a terribly racist concept.
Russia is a good example of a White country without much diversity. I've been doing a lot of reading lately on Russian History and it's stark.

On the other hand - places like Istanbul and Britain and other big trade centers were - comparatively - very diverse. They didn't generally take 1/2 their population and put them in gulags or shoot them in the back of the head.

The Germans were fairly white. They didn't like diversity. This led them to exterminate even their fellow countrymen, sons and daughters, infirm, disabled, etc.

One morsel of truth in your statement is that White People are often very violent - especially toward the "other" but definitely toward themselves (self-destructive). Maybe they will be less so once mixed up a bit.

Diversity in total population is not generally planned. In this country it follows a course such as this.

1. Slavemasters raping their slaves
2. Spanish, French and Brits intermingling
3. Everyone intermingling in New Orleans and a few other places.
4. Mexican and other intermingling in the former lands owned or occupied by Mexico.
5. Modern civilization and places where the societal ban on interracial marriage has faded.

There is no concept there...unless you are ready to go back and tell those Slaveholders not to get horny.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:47 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Russia is a good example of a White country without much diversity. I've been doing a lot of reading lately on Russian History and it's stark.

On the other hand - places like Istanbul and Britain and other big trade centers were - comparatively - very diverse. They didn't generally take 1/2 their population and put them in gulags or shoot them in the back of the head.

The Germans were fairly white. They didn't like diversity. This led them to exterminate even their fellow countrymen, sons and daughters, infirm, disabled, etc.

One morsel of truth in your statement is that White People are often very violent - especially toward the "other" but definitely toward themselves (self-destructive). Maybe they will be less so once mixed up a bit.

Diversity in total population is not generally planned. In this country it follows a course such as this.

4. Mexican and other intermingling in the former lands owned or occupied by Mexico.
5. Modern civilization and places where the societal ban on interracial marriage has faded.

There is no concept there...unless you are ready to go back and tell those Slaveholders not to get horny.

Communist countries are poor examples to cherry pick on how homogenous populations live.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I have two words for you. Perhaps you should Google them. They are:

Hutu

and

Tutsi

Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I have two words for you. Perhaps you should Google them. They are:

Hutu

and

Tutsi

Belgians created that issue. Kind of like the "house slave" and the "field slave" in how Hutus and Tutsi were treated and then left to their own devices.

People talk about the Brits and Spanish but the Belgians and Dutch may have been some of the worst when it came to slavery and colonization.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What does "fewer white people" mean?

Diversity does not imply that white birthrates should be restricted, so there need be no fewer white people in a diverse society than there would be otherwise: They'd all be free to reproduce to the same degree either way.
Diversity to them means a loss of power; that our world and culture are no longer centered around whiteness. It's something that many won't admit exists but will complain about when it's being taken away.

It's odd how some will say that racism doesn't exist yet clearly show fear in the shrinking of their own demographic...afraid of comeuppance. Why would someone want to "get back" at you if you've never done anything wrong?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
This is completely insane logic.

Comparing modern society 10 years ago to a completely different societal era over a century and a half ago is a ludacrus straw man argument.
No it's not ludicrous, it's just inconvenient. The sins of my ancestors are OK because it happened a long-time ago and doesn't count but the sins of those "others" counts because they hurt my people.

Truth > "Logic"

Old 03-31-2017, 09:11 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Belgians created that issue. Kind of like the "house slave" and the "field slave" in how Hutus and Tutsi were treated and then left to their own devices.

People talk about the Brits and Spanish but the Belgians and Dutch may have been some of the worst when it came to slavery and colonization.
Oh okay. So, to you, literally EVERY problem in the world was created by white people. Gotcha.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have always wondered about the benefits of diversity in schools. Many school rankings weight diversity very highly. However in practical application, I have not seen a benefit. The "diverse" schools I have been involved with are very segregated. White students take these classes, hang out in this area and avoid the Hispanic students who take those classes and hang out in a different area while the black student congregate in yet another area and take a separate group of classes. Students of other races who cross into the wrong area or classes are subject to bullying or even violence. Students from these schools are more prejudiced than students from homogonous schools for whom people of another race/culture are something of a mystery. They are better equipt to maturely address and accept race and culture differences when they get to college. When classes are mixed, I have not ever seen some great new wave of thought developing form diversity of culture or ideas. And talking with some teachers, college professors and college students, while they will always say diversity = good when you ask them for concrete examples demonstrating the benefits, they have nothing.

While I would agree it may be a good value in and of itself, I am not sure the whole "diversity of ideas" thing really mounts to a hill of beans, especially in the K-12 schools. I am certainly not sold ont he idea that kids who attend diverse schools are better educated or better equipped for dealing with adult life. In fact, my experience is the opposite.
I went to a school that didn't have any interracial tension, but played out exactly like this (it was 50% white, 30% black and the remaining 20% was split almost evenly between Latino and Asian).

Blacks hung out with mostly blacks. Latinos kept to themselves while Asians hung out with those they had the most in common with based on extracurricular activities like sports, band, orchestra, mock trial etc. Whites split up based on class. Those that lived closest to the school in nice houses with hot-shot dads and stay-at-home moms all brought their lunches to school and congregated in one cafeteria. Those that came from single-parent homes or lived in apartments were more inclined to hang out in the hot-lunch cafeteria with the people of color.

True diversity doesn't happen by just mixing kids together. What I've found is that the neighborhoods make more of a difference. If all races of kids live in the same apartment complex or housing subdivision, race is less of a divider and the kids split off based on interests and other commonalities. Mixed high schools often have whites that live in one area and kids of color that live in a different area but with each group zoned to the same school. The white kids see all their classmates on the same block, so they become close outside of school hours just living next door. The black kids end up doing the same thing. Residential segregation matters more than we all realize, though I'm not sure there's much that can be done to change it.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 AM

264 posts, read 313,929 times
This one?

"Why Nerds are Unpopular - Paul Graham"

[LEFT]www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.