Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Why do so many universities claim to promote gender equality and yet they have a women's studies major but no men's studies major? Is this not a form of gender discrimination?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
we have male studies it's called history, where 90% of the leaders are men

I don't get the women's studies major though, never sat in on a class, what do they talk about?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
we have male studies it's called history, where 90% of the leaders are men

I don't get the women's studies major though, never sat in on a class, what do they talk about?
I almost repped you...then I read your second sentence!

Uh, they talk about all the women who have made contributions throughout history but have been little recognized....and they talk about WHY women have not been recognized and gotten their due.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I almost repped you...then I read your second sentence!

Uh, they talk about all the women who have made contributions throughout history but have been little recognized....and they talk about WHY women have not been recognized and gotten their due.
I don't mind the lack of rep

I figured they would talk about women's contributions, but... well, yeah. I don't get that as a "class".

Say woman X made a contribution to X field, and Y did so for Y field. Great, but it makes it sound like a women's recognition class or something to me

women's study by name makes me think of a sociology class, where they study gender roles or things specific to "the female gender"

hey, call me ignorant about the subject, my feelings won't be hurt. I never got the class, don't know if college even offers it

yes, I know most things are from male perspective, and I don't mind learning about contributions by made women. I simply don't understand it as a "degree".
But I put it in the same realm as "african or asian" studies. Fun to learn as a hobby, impractical for every day life, and not very useful as a degree outside of sitting on a sofa holding conversations

edit: examples like woodrow's wife taking over the oval office upon his death
http://www.ozy.com/flashback/america...one-that/61409
it's interesting, but what's there to knowing the fact over knowing the fact that ketchup is 80% water

Last edited by MLSFan; 06-16-2017 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why do so many universities claim to promote gender equality and yet they have a women's studies major but no men's studies major? Is this not a form of gender discrimination?

That is a good question and it does seem to be discriminatory.

I have never sat in on a womans study class but I can only imagine that they talk about dreams, ponies and of course boys.....

Seriously though female achievements often take a back seat to what men have done and that is not right.

I can see having a class about women in (X) but how does a degree work? Are there that many classes that focus on women's studies? and what career does that set one up for after graduation?

I guess it is all about awareness and with political correctness still a real thing despite Trump when it comes to asking a question about discrimination in colleges it is better not to ask.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times
Quote:
No "Men's Studies" major: gender discrimination?
Over time this may come to pass, but for now most men realize such programs aren't helpful. A man lives as a man, a degree in studying men when you are one seems nonsensical. The same is true for the other "studies", but women want women's studies, etc. It would be nice if federal subsidy for these courses of study were limited or eliminated.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I don't mind the lack of rep

I figured they would talk about women's contributions, but... well, yeah. I don't get that as a "class".

Say woman X made a contribution to X field, and Y did so for Y field. Great, but it makes it sound like a women's recognition class or something to me

women's study by name makes me think of a sociology class, where they study gender roles or things specific to "the female gender"

hey, call me ignorant about the subject, my feelings won't be hurt. I never got the class, don't know if college even offers it

yes, I know most things are from male perspective, and I don't mind learning about contributions by made women. I simply don't understand it as a "degree".

But I put it in the same realm as "african or asian" studies. Fun to learn as a hobby, impractical for every day life, and not very useful as a degree outside of sitting on a sofa holding conversations

edit: examples like woodrow's wife taking over the oval office upon his death
America's First Female President? Been There, Done That | Flashback | OZY
it's interesting, but what's there to knowing the fact over knowing the fact that ketchup is 80% water
Re: the bolded part - that may be the attitude of an unimaginative home body who has no worldly ambitions and doesn't plan to go anywhere different outside of their domestic comfort zone or do anything meaningful or important with their career life.

People who take such studies are usually doing it because they do have ambitious and personally meaningful plans for successful future careers. That would be including travelling and working at careers in foreign places where a degree in those studies is going to be absolutely essential.

I think instead of criticizing "women's studies" and suggesting it's discriminatory without you having any knowledge of them you should first find out what those studies are. Then you might have a better idea of how women can use those studies to get ahead more successfully in their own lives. Don't knock it before you know what it is.

As pointed out by others, men's studies aren't necessary and it's not discrimination to not have what would be such redundant study courses in college and university. Why? Because the entire world history (his-story, get it?) is already a study in men and always has been. It's not good enough for life to only be a study in men, more is needed.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
People who take such studies are usually doing it because they do have ambitious and personally meaningful plans for successful future careers. That would be including travelling and working at careers in foreign places where a degree in those studies is going to be absolutely essential.
point taken about being culturally aware of issues?

closest thing I can relate to is being aware of different religious practices when working in healthcare and selecting medical treatment to best fit the patient's preferences

but these cultural awareness degrees as a double major with something say political science, makes me think they want to be "activists". I don't find myself thinking of "activism" as a job. Before people can bring changes to companies through their role/input but they have to get a job in the company first. This is the disconnect to me, they want to bring changes/do things without gaining "goodwill". They end up stonewalling each other and never compromising for fear of being "taken advantage of". I don't mind if I'm taken advantage of if I get somethings I want out of it because both parties end up with nothing otherwise.

IE president trump isn't going to get any slack from opposition by virtue of them already disliking him which is no different than what president obama faced as well.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
In most cases, women are a protected class. Other protected classes include veterans, certain racial minorities, LBGTQ, certain religious minorities, certain ethnic minorities, etc.

In most cases, white men are not a protected class. The lack of a Men's Studies department doesn't violate Title IX, at least not on the surface. It would not result in a dreaded "Dear Colleague" letter for the Department of Education.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:43 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
There is a Men's Study major. It's usually just called History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates