Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:07 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times

Advertisements

It seems that diversity is covered under very narrow concepts, mainly drawn up around skin tone these days. If I have to define "diversity" people of fairer skin are more diverse than any other skin tone. Hair color runs from platinum blonde to black. Eye color can be brown, black, grey, hazel, green and blue..and some interesting blends as well.

Africans do not share this diversity, nor do Asians, Hispanics or American Indians. So, please, what defines "diversity?" Those with light toned skin seem to share more diversity of physical feature than any other on the planet. How Can THIS be? Hmm? I find my mind at a conundrum? ..

Old 06-29-2017, 01:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Diversity includes more than just race or skin tone, but religions, ethnicity, cultural background as well as socioeconomic status.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

.........Those with light toned skin seem to share more diversity of physical feature than any other on the planet. How Can THIS be? ......
Many thousands of years of selective breeding and cross breeding, the consequence being a diversity of hybrids. Just my theory.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Diversity includes more than just race or skin tone, but religions, ethnicity, cultural background as well as socioeconomic status.
^^^ This, and sex and gender identity, nationality, political views, etc. - diversity is the opposite of a homogenous society.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
The only reason diversity tends to be most defined by ethnicity is that it is easily measured in the workplace and the workplace is one of the few areas of life that has been pressured into enforcing the concept - at least on the surface. I'm certainly not saying they have achieved it or that they even are looking at the "spirit" of diversity - they are only doing the letter of the law and bean-counting to show their compliance.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
It is my opinion that embracing and accepting diversity is when you realize that it's really ok that not everyone is like you. They don't have to be. They don't threaten you with their difference. It really is fine. That covers everything from race and ethnicity, religion and philosophy, political spectrums, sexual orientation, gender identity and lifestyle choices, socioeconomic or ideological diversity, and so on.

Helpful to this are some phrases I have learned...

"Your kink is not my kink, and that's ok." You can change that to be "Your <anything> is not my <anything> and that's ok."

Or, more commonly, "Let's agree to disagree."

Basically anything that is the opposite of, "My worldview is the absolute universal objective truth, and if you can't capitulate and agree that I'm right, then you are at least wrong, possibly going to hell, and if we were face to face, I would hit you over the head and the last human standing could stand tall in his righteous rightness."

Nah, as a species we really need to evolve past that kind of crap. We will never reach a point where all humans agree on what to think, how to live, how to pray (or not)...we might as well accept that and learn to live comfortably with it.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is my opinion that embracing and accepting diversity is when you realize that it's really ok that not everyone is like you. They don't have to be. They don't threaten you with their difference. It really is fine. That covers everything from race and ethnicity, religion and philosophy, political spectrums, sexual orientation, gender identity and lifestyle choices, socioeconomic or ideological diversity, and so on.
And not only is it not threatening, there have been several workplace studies that show a diverse group of employees come up with better ideas. When people have to confront their unconscious biases, they make better decisions.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:08 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And not only is it not threatening, there have been several workplace studies that show a diverse group of employees come up with better ideas.
No, there haven't.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, there haven't.
This is "Great Debates". Stop thinking you can just make some flip statement.

Google "how does diversity improve the workplace" and you'll find many articles that cover the topic very well.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:23 AM

345 posts, read 269,221 times
One of those stupid modern buzzwords.
Society has always been diverse, there has always been poor, zealots, fanatics, church goers, rich, f.art concealers, brutal....
The fact that we don't kill each other depends on hunger, envy, having a full or empty stomach...not race or religion, just excuses.
Only 70 years ago, 50 million people were killed in this continent and they were very similar, so that idiotic American race obsession is false.
Humans don't need any excuse to kill each other.
Ignorance and hunger, the real diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates