Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
black people who was never slaves are fighting white people who was never nazis over a
confederate statues erected by democratic, because democratic can not stand there own history
and somehow its trump fault.

on facebook this week
This is super simplified. In the south until about 1960 when Democrats started to be more pro-Civil Rights, the south would vote Democrat period. In the 1960s you had Goldwater win a number of the bible belt states in 64, Nixon win them in 72 and then by Reagan they fully realigned except with Bill Clinton, a Democrat governor.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The New York City subway system is facing the need for a major overhaul. Thread such as Governor Cuomo Ignoring Subway Disaster have discussed the problems and the finger pointing going into bringing the system up to snuff. The system in a sense is a victim of its own success. The city is gentrifying. Middle class, upper middle class and wealthy people go out at night and use the subway. The subways need upgrades to handle this new business.

So, in the latest identity politics hysteria anything looking remotely like a Confederate symbol is subject to attack. We're removing statues of Robert E. Lee. Someone notices a tile scheme (picture below) looking a bit like the Confederate battle flag.

So what do we do? Program the removal of the "offensive" tile that had to have been installed a long time ago. And remember, NYC was never in the confederacy. See MTA to Replace Times Square Subway Tiles That Look Like Confederate Flags.

I don't think that historical symbols such as tiling or Robert E. Lee statues are holding back minorities from producing and earning on their merits. The culture of grievance has gone way too far.

I think it's way past time to stop relitigating a war that ended 162 years ago.

You seem to be unable to realize the irony of your own position.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
The Confederate flag can be a symbol of many different things. For me it is a symbol of a family tragedy that took place many years ago in my family and of the evils of ideological and political divisiveness in the US. Unfortunately, the symbolism of this flag has been appropriated by people who use it to voice their beliefs about racial and ethnic differences in evil and violent ways. So, I find the issue complicated, especially in view of the fact that I do not favor banning any form of unpopular speech.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
As a native Southerner, I'm well aware of what this represents to some people, and I still support the monuments being up. This is history and many of our ancestors fought and died in this war. Slavery was the headline issue, but the true principle was over the reach of federal power.

It seems like we're fighting the federal power side all over again.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
I have a simple theory. Given the state of America's education system and the historical knowledge held by the average American, I believe that those that are upset about the removal of these things know very little about the history of the South or the Confederacy. Heck, there are people who have never even lived in the South who are upset.

I think it all comes down to some white people feeling like if these idols come down, then somehow Black people have "won" something over white people. So, they don't care about history at all. It comes down to "us vs them" and the "them" can't win.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
The New York City subway system is facing the need for a major overhaul. Thread such as Governor Cuomo Ignoring Subway Disaster have discussed the problems and the finger pointing going into bringing the system up to snuff. The system in a sense is a victim of its own success. The city is gentrifying. Middle class, upper middle class and wealthy people go out at night and use the subway. The subways need upgrades to handle this new business.

So, in the latest identity politics hysteria anything looking remotely like a Confederate symbol is subject to attack. We're removing statues of Robert E. Lee. Someone notices a tile scheme (picture below) looking a bit like the Confederate battle flag.

So what do we do? Program the removal of the "offensive" tile that had to have been installed a long time ago. And remember, NYC was never in the confederacy. See MTA to Replace Times Square Subway Tiles That Look Like Confederate Flags.

I don't think that historical symbols such as tiling or Robert E. Lee statues are holding back minorities from producing and earning on their merits. The culture of grievance has gone way too far.

I think it's way past time to stop relitigating a war that ended 162 years ago.

Yeah, this is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in my entire life. They are calling this the "Summer of Hell" for commuters into NYC in this region due to construction in NY Penn Station and on subways yet the MTA is worried about this X shaped tile pattern because it resembles a Confederate flag. This is what they will work on and spend money on, as trains keep derailing and they keep raising fares. I mean COME ON.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:44 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Just putting someone in front of statue without context isn't going to teach them anything about history. Especially distant history where many younger people wouldn't know. Most people learn history from books, documentaries and the internet. These monuments could be used as tools to teach history but they are but one ofmany tools.
I guess you didn't read my post about an explanatory plaque.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah, this is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in my entire life. They are calling this the "Summer of Hell" for commuters into NYC in this region due to construction in NY Penn Station and on subways yet the MTA is worried about this X shaped tile pattern because it resembles a Confederate flag. This is what they will work on and spend money on, as trains keep derailing and they keep raising fares. I mean COME ON.
Thanks for a rare moment of agreement. This is literally a case where political correctness trumps (pun intended) common sense.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Quote:
What I can't understand is the desire to erase our history, great, terrible or in between. I would rather leave the statues and educate people on what good and bad traits these people showed. On a drive to my son's summer camp in New Hampshire I stopped at Franklin Pierce's old house, looked around, and even bought a CD of period music. Trust me, in modern terms there is nothing to emulate about Mr. Pierce. He was a drunk and a terrible President. But that doesn't mean I don't want to learn about him.
Just putting someone in front of statue without context isn't going to teach them anything about history. Especially distant history where many younger people wouldn't know. Most people learn history from books, documentaries and the internet. These monuments could be used as tools to teach history but they are but one ofmany tools.
I guess you didn't read my post about an explanatory plaque.
Granted, in this post I said "educate people." I meant that the statue should have adjacent to it explanatory information.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Well the civil war and the aftermath of slavery did not really end until the 1950's and 1960's and the Southern states did not grant full citizenship to blacks until they were forced to by the federal government. I don't care one way or the other as I never have and probably never will drive through or visit the south, though I've seen all of the east and west coast, the midwest, the west, Canada and Mexico. I think it's ironic that a protest about the removal of one statue has lit a fire that will probably result in the removal of hundreds. I don't think symbols and statues of the Confedracy belong on public property. If you want to fly the stars and bars on your porch that's your business. One of our neighbors does that, but he took it down last week and I haven't seen that weather beaten flag since. The example given of a subway tile is a bit ludicrous. I doubt it will be removed or anyone would want it to. There is Indian art from previous centuries that incorporate the swastika and no one has objected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates