Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:54 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes, and if you look at statistics the vast majority of offenders go unreported or charged with a lessor crime so by the time an offender is on the list chances are very good that he has earned his spot. Very few, if any, people who sexually assault only do it once.

I think in the cases that appear to be consensual behavior by peers the professionals are seeing a power and control differential that escapes the common armchair newspaper reader. And true, sometimes there are mistakes.
So American justice should be based on "chances are".
I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think so.
So much for , "Go and sin no more" eh?

Old 09-30-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
So much for , "Go and sin no more" eh?
Oh, silly me. I thought we were talking about Constitutional law, not Biblical sin.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:26 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
I don't think so.
Absolutely not. Where did I say that?

What I did say was that by the time you are caught and convicted the chances are that you have already committed many sexual assaults, not just the one that put you on the offenders registry. Although one is apparently sufficient.

Sex offenders are the least likely of all criminal offenders to come to trial or conviction. For ever one thousand rapes only seven will lead to conviction and only six of those will lead to incarceration.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Absolutely not. Where did I say that?

What I did say was that by the time you are caught and convicted the chances are that you have already committed many sexual assaults, not just the one that put you on the offenders registry. Although one is apparently sufficient.

Sex offenders are the least likely of all criminal offenders to come to trial or conviction. For ever one thousand rapes only seven will lead to conviction and only six of those will lead to incarceration.
You make the general assumption that "chances are"...

That may be true for some, perhaps many...but not all.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
How to registries differ (on this subject) from just publishing the names of people who have committed crimes in newspapers?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:02 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How to registries differ (on this subject) from just publishing the names of people who have committed crimes in newspapers?
Registries are forever. Registries require the person to avoid certain places and basically, not travel. The newspaper is a temporary listing.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
I don't think so.
It already is for most people, I read alot of news stories on FB, whenever there is even an allegation of any type of sex crime, majority of people have already convicted the person and now consider them guilty, and its not only with sex crimes, really any type of crime, all it takes is an allegation by someone in the media or law enforcement and BAM, they are instantly guilty.

LONG GONE are the days when someone was truly assume innocent until proven guilty, its now assumed guilty automatically, even the police assume guilt!!

Whats really scary to me, besides this, is how many people want to bypass courts and just execute others for crimes, deaths with extreme violence are usually suggested too...All this JUST because law enforcement makes an allegation???!!!! Geez

What happened to the days when people would side with their fellow citizen instead of law enforcement, even when serious criminal allegations are made? It used to be common for most people to distrust law enforcement allegations initially and give the person the benefit of the doubt.

It shouldnt really surprise me though, the police state wields alot of influence, they have successfully turned most people against one another.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It already is for most people, I read alot of news stories on FB, whenever there is even an allegation of any type of sex crime, majority of people have already convicted the person and now consider them guilty, and its not only with sex crimes, really any type of crime, all it takes is an allegation by someone in the media or law enforcement and BAM, they are instantly guilty.

LONG GONE are the days when someone was truly assume innocent until proven guilty, its now assumed guilty automatically, even the police assume guilt!!

Whats really scary to me, besides this, is how many people want to bypass courts and just execute others for crimes, deaths with extreme violence are usually suggested too...All this JUST because law enforcement makes an allegation???!!!! Geez

What happened to the days when people would side with their fellow citizen instead of law enforcement, even when serious criminal allegations are made? It used to be common for most people to distrust law enforcement allegations initially and give the person the benefit of the doubt.

It shouldnt really surprise me though, the police state wields alot of influence, they have successfully turned most people against one another.
It depends on what time period we are talking about. If we are comparing the recent past to today then I would agree with you.

But if we're comparing the the distant past to today then I don't see it. I think people today are more open to criticize law enforcement and our judicial system today than in the distant past (>70 years).

What's really going on here is that thanks to our sensationalized news media many people have become absolutely convinced that society is going to hell even though there are several statistical measures that say otherwise. They are convinced that there are too many degenerates and too much debauchery and believe that extreme forms of punishment must be doled out even though there personal lives are pleasant and privileged.

As a result there are some people have become increasingly emotiona and they believe the judicial system and due process is insufficient in dealing with cases involving particularly heinous crimes and would rather the suspects get a bullet to the head before getting a fair trial where all of the evidence is evaluated.

MY other opinion is that people are still very much barbaric in modern times and in their deeper subconscious want to see a bloodier form of justice carried out. ala public executions.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:12 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
You make the general assumption that "chances are"...

That may be true for some, perhaps many...but not all.
You are misinterpreting my post, phetaroi.

The phrase "chances are" means the statistics are in favor of that person having offended before without consequences. It doesn't mean assumption of everybody.

Say that 99% of kids like strawberry lollipops and 1% don't. You grab a random kid out of a group. He might hate strawberry lollipops. But chances are really good that he's one of the ones who likes them. Got it now?

Anyway it's a strange conversation for us to be having because as far as I'm concerned one offense is one too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates