Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ahhhh, no shyte - and not what I said. A car rental company didn't MANUFACTURE the car...they are leasing it. So that is COMPLETELY different since they can make you sign a contract making you responsible for damaging the car.

Now, maybe you can think about the difference between making something and renting it. You wanna rent out guns? Then maybe you can make a rental car-like contract work for ya. Otherwise, toddle off and figure something else out.
You're changing your argument in the middle when you got called on a deceitful argument.

You wanted to blame and punish gun manufacturers.

I made the analogy comparing the situation to car manufacturer being punished because someone used their product in an illegal manner.

You changed the premise to a car rental situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I don't think age restrictions are the issue. The problems in my opinion...
-The legality of any device that can turn a semi-auto into an auto (well doesn't turn them automatic, but they mimic an automatic) and high capacity clips. These should become illegal at a federal level so it's enforced in every state.

-In some states a person can get a semi-auto rifle in less time than it takes to have a meal in a sit down restaurant like Florida.

-Background checks are done in a rush and are not thorough enough. There should be a minimum delay of 3 business days before the completion of a sale and delivery of rifles and shot guns. For semi auto rifles and all handguns it should be a minimum of 5 business days.

Bump stocks have been used in 1 mass shooting that I'm aware of. They are trivial and marginally useful at best. Accurracy goes right down the tubes. Hardly the issue it's nothing more than a talking point to try and file people up against guns.

Why is it a problem to get a semi auto rifle in under 30 minutes? What's the problem? This is 2018 and background checks are done online quickly.

You can buy an AR15 stripped lower receiver(treated as the gun). Then pretty much any part you want after that and have it mailed to your house and build a rifle in your garage. People can literally build an AR 15 in under half an hour. I know.

Why should there be a delay? Can you name examples where a guy went and bought a gun and later that day comitted a mass crime? If someone had that intention all along they would just buy a gun on the black market illegally anyways.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:20 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is the age for Voting should also be raised to 21.
What does a kid know about politics at 18 besides what they have been told by their parents or teachers or mass media ?
Well, when I worked in gov't we had a lot of young interns that knew quite a bit. The more I read here, the more I respect how advanced they were.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Y'all need to forget about raising the voting age to 21. Who are almost exclusively suggesting the voting age should be raised to 21? Republicans. And why? Because older voters are more likely to be Republicans, younger voters are more likely to be Democrats. And don't forget, it's in the Constitution. So, according to Republicans, it must be sacred. So just stop with that.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
I say raise the age of any gun ownership to 21. Rental car companies don't rent to people under the age of 21, why? Because they consider them a bad risk and prone to do something stupid so why do we allow the under 21 crowd to buy guns?
Quote:
Hmmmm...because those who SELL guns are not accountable for the damage done so why would they want to cut down their customer base?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Should car salesmen be punished if they sell a car to a guy who later kills someone in a DUI?
Quote:
Stop jumping to your own conclusions - my point was that what works for car rentals won't work for guns so come up with another plan...and learn how to argue a whole lot better.
Quote:
You're changing your argument in the middle when you got called on a deceitful argument.

You wanted to blame and punish gun manufacturers.

I made the analogy comparing the situation to car manufacturer being punished because someone used their product in an illegal manner.

You changed the premise to a car rental situation.
Stop telling me who I want to blame and punish - point out where I said that. When you assume you make yourself out to be an a__...

I was stating a fact that car rentals RENT and can set their own policy on who they rent to...gun sellers aren't renting (or is that a new thing ) so they can't use that route since they have no reason to limit liability they don't even have. I never even mention gun MANUFACTURERS...but they have no liability either so again, car rental policy would not apply similarly. This has nothing to do with car rentals used in an illegal manner because it is a business taking it upon themself to limit liability because they want to limit damages TO THEIR OWN PROPERTY by reckless (young) drivers. Guns are owned by INDIVIDUALS....so the argument doesn't apply. Got it? Waste your breath arguing with someone else on a position that is real not made up in your own mind.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
At minimum, require that someone graduate from HS before they can buy any gun, or wait until they are 21.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:29 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Bump stocks have been used in 1 mass shooting that I'm aware of. They are trivial and marginally useful at best. Accurracy goes right down the tubes. Hardly the issue it's nothing more than a talking point to try and file people up against guns.

Why is it a problem to get a semi auto rifle in under 30 minutes? What's the problem? This is 2018 and background checks are done online quickly.

You can buy an AR15 stripped lower receiver(treated as the gun). Then pretty much any part you want after that and have it mailed to your house and build a rifle in your garage. People can literally build an AR 15 in under half an hour. I know.

Why should there be a delay? Can you name examples where a guy went and bought a gun and later that day comitted a mass crime? If someone had that intention all along they would just buy a gun on the black market illegally anyways.
The whole mass murder phenomenon is a red herring. They get the headlines and are horrible but should not be used to set policy because they are relatively rare (not as rare as they used to be) compared to all other murders. Spend your time talking about something in the tens of thousands rather than the hundreds.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:55 PM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
Start by holding individual government employees liable for failure to enforce the law and not taking dangerous individuals off the street. Allow them to be sued in civil court and to lose their pensions and face prison time. The Air Force is paying out multi-million dollar settlements for each victim of the Sutherlands Springs shooting after admitting they failed to report the shooter's criminal record. That's just slush funds which will be picked up by the taxpayers. Prosecute those in the chain of command. Apply this anytime gun laws are violated. Start holding government accountable and you will see a difference.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I am curious to all those that say in many cases authorities knew there were problems with an individual and they didn't DO anything, what exactly do you think they should have or could have done legally.
Suppose a family member or neighbor acts in a way you feel is strange, but they don't do or haven't done anything illegal. You think the "authorities" should lock this person up either in prison or in a mental hospital?
And are you going to do this with everyone who thinks different that you do? What does that sound like to you?
Is that the American way? Is that the kind of place YOU want to live? I don't.
There has to be a way that does not stomp on everyone's rights.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Another thing I forgot to mention is the age for Voting should also be raised to 21.
What does a kid know about politics at 18 besides what they have been told by their parents or teachers or mass media ?
John Q Adams was ambassador to France when he was 14. It's the changing way we've brought up children. They're immature way into their 20s. Plus we hang our hats on the news media for truth.

Okay guns. Sorry. I think gun laws are fine. Responsible engaged parents are lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates