Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Regarding medical mistakes, that would certainly be worth discussing in its own thread. My career was in health care, so I have plenty of thoughts.

It sounds as if you're questioning the need to worry about school killings.<>
Not al all. I'd write more but CNN has a talk session going with the Douglas school and we should go watch that. Or at least record it to watch after the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
We have that. Felons cannot own possess or use a gun.
Wrong. They do it all the time.

They cannot legally possess or use a gun.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
What do most mass killings have in common? Usually a deranged individual and/or Types of guns that shouldn't be owned and/or People gathered together, usually in a church, movie, school, or a workplace.

Raising the age of legal ownership would help--a little bit. The kid in Sandy Hook didn't buy or own the guns he used though. His mother owned them. She left them all over the house. She was old enough. She was also not deranged. So changes in those laws wouldn't have helped.

The TYPE of gun could have made a difference though. There is no reason for people to own guns like that. If you're part of the "militia" that the second amendment allows for, maybe, but not for a private citizen.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Wrong. They do it all the time.
They cannot legally possess or use a gun.
And that is true and it is why increased background checks don't really help much. But it does keep them out of the gun stores.
But go ahead, knock yourself out, Congress.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
I cannot agree that guns are the problem, and here’s why. Speaking only of America, we have nearly a 242 year history and up until a few years ago you never heard of a mass shooting. Yet Americans have always had guns. Yes, not always AR-15’s,but guns nonetheless. So my question is this: what changed?

The answer is complex to be sure,but society,or what we have accepted in our society,has dramatically changed for the worse. For example, from the ages of 5-18 our kids witness 20,000 murders on TV. In that same time span they witness over 200,000 acts of violence. You tell me, how could young, impressionable minds absorb all of that violence and not be impacted mentally?

And what about the music that glorifies murder,rape,drugs,and gang violence? Are we to seriously discount the negative effects this music is having on the minds of children?

The percentage of kids being raised in single parent homes is staggering. The evidence is overwhelming that kids raised in these conditions are much more prone to acts of violent crime,theft,drug use,and many other illegal activities.

The fact is that we in America have tried to create a version of utopia built upon the sinking sands of humanism,while rejecting outright the faith of our forefathers. Laugh,scorn,whatever if you choose to, but I have lived long enough to have seen the effects of rebuilding our society apart from God. And it ain’t pretty. Perhaps scariest of all is that we have just begun to crack the surface of what’s to come. The vast majority of people have no idea how evil the human heart can become when given the opportunity.

Ok, foolish old timer rant over. Now back to all of you and your “if we just got rid of guns we’d all be safe” think tank.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Please post here only if you have something positive and respectful to contribute. There are already numerous other threads filled with name-calling and nonsense.

Please use logic to share your thoughts or to point out the flaws in someone else's suggestions. Share data and links whenever possible.

This thread is for people who want to maturely and rationally consider how we might make our schools and other public venues safer from mass killers.

The only answer that I have is that you have to secure the Suburban Schools like you do Urban Schools , they have metal gun detectors at the entrance of virtually all Urban Schools. Secure the perimeter of the school campus and having one entrance and one exit with metal detectors would stop virtually all active shooters.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
<>The TYPE of gun could have made a difference though. There is no reason for people to own guns like that. If you're part of the "militia" that the second amendment allows for, maybe, but not for a private citizen.
That issue was surfaced in the CNN Town Meeting with the Students of Stoneman Douglas tonight. (Hope you saw that).
My proposal, in short is not to restrict this to the National Guard which has a very different mission, but to create a new organization that would be closely supervised and Federally Chartered and only members could own any kind of self chambering automatic rifle or handgun, patterned after a grown up version of the Boy Scouts. They could be "The Well Regulated Militia" and they could use the old SAC Motto as modified: "Peace is our profession; shooting things is just a hobby".

Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I cannot agree that guns are the problem, and here’s why. Speaking only of America, we have nearly a 242 year history and up until a few years ago you never heard of a mass shooting. Yet Americans have always had guns. Yes, not always AR-15’s,but guns nonetheless. So my question is this: what changed?
<>
Point of order, OP. I can think of two, one involving civilians and the other US troops out of control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_Massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre

Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The only answer that I have is that you have to secure the Suburban Schools like you do Urban Schools , they have metal [gun] detectors at the entrance of virtually all Urban Schools. Secure the perimeter of the school campus and having one entrance and one exit with metal detectors would stop virtually all active shooters.
NRA plan, 2013, some schools are doing this. I have not found the memorandum but it was mentioned by NRA Rep Dana Loesch at the CNN "Town Talk :Stand Up" discussion tonight. She said some large number of schools have implemented it. Sadly, she was largely ignored despite being the only rational person in the building.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hield/1936721/

Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And what do you suppose will be done for those who can't afford to give their child access to this privatized education system you dream of?

There is a scary sector of society that wants to take us back to a time, before the Great Depression, when education was for the wealthy. They want to "privatize" everything.

No public education. No state schools. No middle class.

Two classes, wealthy - who will continue to send their kids to $50,000 per year private, prep, and boarding schools, as they always have. They will continue to send their children to elite colleges and universities, which they do now. They will educate their children.

The rest of the children will have two choices - privatized, corporate owned charter schools or conservative Christian schools. At both they will be taught not to question authority. They will be taught conformity and the importance of a superficial jingoistic form of patriotism that relies heavily on symbols and emotion.

They will not be taught to think. They will be taught to "pray and obey".

After graduation from secondary school, they will either enter the military, or learn a skilled trade that is useful to the wealthy.

I've been thinking lately, that perhaps someone is behind these school shootings, which may be designed to engender fear, and suspicion of public schools. It is interesting that they usually take place(with few exceptions) at solidly upper middle and middle class schools. Three examples - Parkland, Sandy Hook, and Columbine.

Why? These are people who conceivably could send their children to private schools (possible with the help of grandparents) - if the safety of their children is at steak. They will do away with luxuries, and pay for a good education at elite public schools.

While most of the upper middle class (as opposed to the upper elite) are strong supporters of public education, if public schools are dangerous or become armed encampments, these parents will remove their children, and public schools will empty.

Perhaps that is why these school shootings are occurring at an alarming rate.

Farfetched? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates