Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:39 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times

Advertisements

Metal detectors, cameras, and ID badges to move about the building could help stop or slow down an intruder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 02:10 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All this talk of school shootings and arming teacher and staff. Let's walk through this.

I'm a crazy school shooter. My goal is to kill many people. I don't care about my life as I know this can end in either of two ways: I kill myself or the police kill me. Sure, I'll flee if given the chance, but I accept that I probably won't make it out alive.

So, I enter the school, walk into the nearest classroom and unloaded with my automatic weapon. I kill 10 kids.

Now, the teacher, who is armed, has a first priority to make sure the kids are okay. He/she may get a few shots off. They may even take down the shooter.

The shooter is down, but so what? There are still 10 dead kids. The shooter had the jump on everyone at the school and still was able to inflict damage.

Every staff member in the school could have had a weapon but because the shooter will always have the jump, the shooter will always be able to kill people.

So what is the benefit of the armed staff? They may reduce the number killed but they cannot totally prevent the carnage.

Thoughts?
Right off the bat, the first thought is that you don't *have* an automatic weapon- you most likely have neither the resources nor finances to obtain one. Automatic weapons, whether obtained legally or illegally, tend to be very expensive. The fact that you wrote something like this shows that you [currently] lack the appropriate knowledge and education to properly discuss the matter. This is not a slight or an insult, you simply do not have the necessary information...but that can be corrected if you wish to learn.

First lesson:

An automatic weapon, such as an assault weapon, machine gun or sub-machine gun fires continuously as long as the trigger is held down (until it runs out of cartridges).

A semi-automatic weapon fires only *one* round when the trigger is pressed, and the trigger must be released and pressed again to fire each subsequent round.

Now, making the assumption that you are thinking of an AR-15, which is a semi-automatic rifle that can be extremely accurate (in skilled hands) and fine for hunting, you should not have been able to just walk into a school with one. Even the short-barreled carbine models are rather large and difficult to conceal (as compared to a pistol). *Someone* should have been present and able to observe you attempting to enter the school with it.

But, to continue on with the scenario, let's assume that you either gain entry unimpeded or you kill the door watcher and enter. If you should encounter any armed resistance who successfully stops you, even if you managed to kill *some* victims, is not fewer victims dead a *better* outcome than if you were not stopped at all and were free to continue killing until you ran out of ammo?

There are two factors to consider here- Risk Assessment, and Risk Management. You need to assess the risk, in other words, you need to determine the probability that a particular event may/might occur. The next step is risk management, in which having determined that an element of risk is present, you take steps designed to reduce the amount of risk present and mitigate damage. This process is practically the same as when you purchase insurance on your car, your house or your life- you assess the risk and you purchase a product, an 'insurance' policy, in order to reduce the damage to your wallet in the event of some sort of accident (or, in the case of life insurance, to provide your dependents with financial income to mitigate the loss of you as the wage-earner).

An ancillary calculation in this matter is that of the cost to manage the risk, balanced against the probability of the risk occurring and the anticipated damage. If you buy a brand-new automobile for $30,000, a full coverage comprehensive insurance policy purchased for $600 is reasonable and prudent in order to protect you from the loss if said vehicle is damaged or stolen, because if you took out a loan you would still be on the hook for the money owed- the bank/finance company doesn't care what happened to the car, they just know that they gave you $30G and they want it back.

On the other hand, if you buy a $500 beater car, you aren't going to buy a $600 insurance policy on it because it is cheaper to just buy another one if something happens to it. You're only going to buy liability insurance, so that in the event that you or someone else gets hurt there will be some money for medical expenses or to pay for the damage you cause to someone else's property if you are at fault.

The tricky question here, is, what price do you put on the life of a child? 10 children? 50 children?

How much is 'too much' to spend to [attempt to] protect them?

It is practically impossible to predict when and where some random nutter, in possession of *any* implement or device that can/could be used to cause harm, is going to strike; and just slightly less impossible to predict the odds of the event occurring at any given (and otherwise peaceful) location.

What steps do you take, and how much (taxpayer) money do you spend to mitigate a risk for which you can make no accurate prediction as to the likelihood of the event occurring?

Depriving the general population of any particular implement that 99.9999% of owners are responsible in their use of said implement in a knee-jerk reaction is not the answer. If one person out of 50 million uses a device in a bad way, is it really reasonable to deprive the other 49,999,999 people of it? Let's suppose that some drunken construction worker, PO'd because he's getting laid off after a new school construction project is voted down, 'borrows' a crane with a wrecking ball and drives it to the 'old' school and starts knocking it down, killing a few dozen kids and teachers before the cops can get there and drag him off. Is it reasonable to outlaw cranes with wrecking balls because of it? Of course not, because the crane isn't responsible for the damage, the person operating it was, and the vast majority of crane owners use their cranes in the responsible and appropriate manner for the tools they are. "Oh, but this is different, this is an ugly black rifle that looks exactly the same as the one G.I. Joe goes to war with." No, it's the operator who is 'different', and who is responsible for the mayhem that *he* caused, not the other owners.

So, what steps do you take to mitigate this risk?

Arming [some of] the staff might not be such a bad idea, though it may be the least expensive of the options. But, I would not consider it to be the first line of defense, a good back-up plan, maybe.

My first line of defense would require some money spent to reconstruct a primary access point such that visitors would need to pass through staff office areas, a sort-of lobby with windows. There would be a staffed reception desk in the lobby. Further access to the interior of the school would require passing through not one, but two electronically locked doors in a series. The doors would be controlled by buttons at the reception desk, placed far enough away from the doors that a miscreant could not operate the buttons and pass through the doors himself (in the event of incapacitating the receptionist). The two interior doors would be spaced far enough apart that a miscreant could not hold both doors open at the same time in order to enable an accomplice to operate the buttons and then join the first, and the second door lock could not be released as long as the first door was open. A third switch would dead-bolt both doors, disabling the manual releases on the interior sides of the doors- cockroach gets in, but he can't get out. Windows would, of course, be bullet resistant.

The receptionist would also have an instant alarm button, like the hold-up alarms in banks and liquor stores.

This setup would prevent entry by one or two people, it would require a team of at least three and one would have to remain behind in the lobby, exposed to the [eventual] arrival of cops.

Another option is for the 'receptionist' to be armed (and trained), or could be placed in a separate secure cubby.

Of course, this only protects the primary access point. Other (secured) access points could potentially be exploited, but this would be another factor in the calculation of risk assessment and management, balanced against the costs of mitigating the [perceived] risks.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:23 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
That's not the narrative being used by those suggesting we arm teachers. The language being used is indicating that armed staff will somehow PREVENT school shootings as shooters would be too afraid of getting shot.

Shooters don't care one bit about getting shot.
Since we now have not just one but **apparently three more police hiding behind patrol cars waiting for the bad man with the AR15 to either run out of ammo or targets, I'm at somewhat of a loss where to go with any of this.

** Per a news story today (2/25). If proven true in the long run when a full and complete timeline is released, with officer onsite times and etc., it's all the more despicable. The first officer who hid behind cover has resigned. Not that I'd be all that thrilled to charge anyone with a rifle, armed only with my EED (Emergency Escape Device, aka Sam Colt, aka just about any handgun compared to a rifle), but they should have thought of that earlier in terms of how armed to be.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Not much.
If you can't tell the difference between soft targets and hard targets,
School vs airport, there's no sense trying to explain.
Really? Try.

One year later, a look back at FLL Airport shooting: The chaos began i

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...steban-n704001

Old 02-25-2018, 04:21 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Q:So what is the benefit of the armed staff?

A: They may reduce the number killed but they cannot totally prevent the carnage.

Looks like you may have answered your own question.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
As a teacher I would be happy to be armed... When you pay me an School Resource Officer salary on top of what I already make. I ain't taking that risk for free.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
A<>So what is the benefit of the armed staff? They may reduce the number killed but they cannot totally prevent the carnage.
First strike always kills the most. It is hopeless if you let the crazies exist or get into the building at all.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
First strike always kills the most. It is hopeless if you let the crazies exist or get into the building at all.
I agree. I want to hear from the NRA type of people who always say that arming staff is the solution. It just doesn't make any sense.

As to getting into the building, are we going to militarize all schools with mental detectors at all entry doors?

Not existing? How do we do that?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
The whole idea of arming teachers is nonsense....it makes for good sound bites for politicians to look like they are trying to address the problem.

1. WHY would teachers agree to carry firearms as part of their job? If I were a teacher I would want to TEACH not be a quasi police officer when needed.

2. If teachers are going to be equipped with guns then they also need bullet proof vests. We don't expect our police officers or military to enter a combat situation without body armor so we if are arming teachers we also need to provide protection as well.

3. As a parent does anyone really want to send their children into a classroom with a teacher wearing a bullet proof vest and a gun strapped to their waist? And before anyone states, "that wouldn't happen" the teacher could keep the gun and vest locked up....when seconds count how would that be better than being unarmed?
Do police officers keep their vests and guns in the trunks of their cars?

4. Law enforcement officers are expected to train extensively with their firearms and re certify on the target range at prescribed intervals. So are we going to just hand teachers weapons and not provide the necessary initial training and continued practice?

5. The biggest question for the Republican President who is pushing this nonsense.....where will he get the MONEY to provide firearms, ammunition, training, vests etc... most schools today can barely provide text books and teachers are leaving in droves in some states due to NO raises for YEARS but suddenly we can afford to arm and train teachers on tax dollars??

6. Hospital and health care shootings aren't as common as school shootings but there are 15-20 per year. Maybe doctors and nurses need to be strapped as well...

Is this what we are coming to as a nation? A return to the Wild West??

This is a complex situation with no easy answers but I am pretty sure MORE guns in the hands of MORE people is not the answer.....

Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Excuse me but but just 3 mos. ago, the NRA and an AR-15 were used to stop the Sutherland Springs church massacre guy in Texas thanks to a barefoot, brave and well-armed citizen, Stephen Willeford. And he wasn't even on site; he ran TO the church after the massacre started. He wounded the shooter who later died because of those wounds.

Concealed carry is the proposal, NOT "armed guards" LOL. IN CONJUNCTION with other policies. I dunno, say, for example following your OWN policy that the expelled kid was NOT allowed on campus and when he was, he even had to carry his crap in a clear plastic bag? Having to swipe a valid current ID card to enter the school. Sorta like Fortune 2000 companies require every day of the year. Just for starters.

Here's a novel concept: How about doors you can't shoot through? snap.

Parkland had an "armed guard" (cop); he hid.

Parkland had FOUR cops; they hid.

The corrupt Sheriff sat on CNN's stage screaming at people trying to have a discussion, in order to deflect from the TRUTH which he KNEW, but hadn't come out yet.

The Leftists running Broward County can't even operate in good faith with-IN their EXISTING powers and policies. Political hacks who prioritized their "reputation" over the safety of schools. Meanwhile everybody knows Ft Lauderdale is filled with gangs and other low life.

And yet we have another argument to totally disarm America. Let's not pretend the Left want's anything else because when you try and talk about incremental improvements or cite Chicago (gun free zone) the counter argument is: "Well they get guns from OTHER places!"

People defeat their own arguments. Let's just be honest "Repeal the 2A and confiscate all guns!!".

Not gonna happen.

OH, and the point of deterrence is that the "crazy shooter" is not going to generally pick a place where the arming of citizens exists because it will detract from his big show of force. He's not going to as easily risk going to JAIL on a failed attempt at entering that place, and shooting people and being stopped when his goal is infamy and retribution. Being even MORE of a loser.

Just call me Captain Obvious.

Or just call me informed. Since the 1950s, ALL "mass shootings" have occurred in "gun free zones" except two.

And my counter-argument to the "disarm America" side is:

Tell me that all lives make a difference when we have over 60 million babies killed by abortions and the Left STILL refuses to budge an inch, including prohibiting clinics from even offering an ultra-sound and education that the baby already has 10 fingers and 10 toes. OR any OTHER options.

Want deterrence ? HERE:

ANY person who takes no action but is aware of a "crazy psycho" having access to weapons, planning a crime, or making threats goes to JAIL if that psycho acts.

That includes:
  • FAMILY (the number one guilty parties in all these cases)
  • Mental Health "Professionals" (the number two guilty parties in all these cases)
  • School Boards
  • School workers
  • County workers
  • And all government agencies from the FBI all the way down to the local swamp-y Social Services workers

The Parkland shooting was the fault of the murderer, the School, the School Board, local law enforcement and the FBI. And the liars who let him live with them and keep weapons at their home. His background was NOT a secret.

Not a bunch of law abiding citizens acting responsibly or pro-actively taking responsibility for their own lives by being armed.

No matter how many crying children people want to use as an emotional guilt trip, those are the facts.

And you want to trust THOSE idiots with your lives? Fine. Nobody else has to. We are Constitutionally protected, and reinforced by the courts including as recently as last year's many court decisions AGAINST municipal gun grabs and onerous ILLEGAL restrictions.

Be careful what you wish for. The future murderers could much more easily create a Pressure Cooker Bomb like the "kids" used in the Boston Marathon and do much more damage with a truck or a backpack.

Which OBVIOUSLY is just too too dificult for schools to wrap their brains around as easily as the airports and courthouses do.

"BAN BACKPACKS!" Where's my CNN Town Hall about THAT movement???

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-26-2018 at 01:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates