Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:32 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
AR-15s were used in Parkland, San Bernardino, Sutherland, Newton, Las Vegas and Aurora. How long does the list have to get?
Focusing on specific weapon type isn't helpful. There is a very long list of weapons other than AR-15's that could have been used with the exact same results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, evil will find a way. How many people can you kill by throwing bleach on them? Yes, you could blind and maim a few...you're not going to kill 20. Same with a knife....same with a pistol. Limit the lethality...limit the damage. Yeah...give him a pointy stick instead a semi automatic.
Plenty of mass killings have been perpetrated by using a knife or a pistol.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So how/where did you get an automatic weapon?
Yep

Old 02-28-2018, 08:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Citation for any instance of a mass killing with a knife, pleeeeze.

I don't think there are any.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Citation for any instance of a mass killing with a knife, pleeeeze.

I don't think there are any.
LMGTFY

After you've reviewed the information, please report back on how there aren't any. Pleeeeze.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
yes, yes - doesn't everyone already know this?...it doesn't matter what specific is given there is always something that won't "fit"...because there is not a perfect correlation with any SINGLE factor or, in this case, weapon.

If we wait for the perfect solution it will never happen - which is a great strategy to hold the conservative status quo but I'm not falling for it - perhaps that's exactly what you're going for but I am not.

I don't give a crap what specific weapon(s) is outlawed - I want it based on the potential lethality.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
LMGTFY

After you've reviewed the information, please report back on how there aren't any. Pleeeeze.
The entire first page of google hits shows only two mass killings with knives. Yes, they were tragic, but they don't at all compare to the potential deaths from a killer with a gun.

The incident in China, where 29 were killed by knives, was done by TEN men. What might the death toll have been if those ten men had guns?

The incident in Japan, 19 dead, was carried out in a facility for disabled people while they were sleeping. Very sad that they were such a very easy target. (I don't know what was in place for security at the building.) No single person would normally be able to kill 19 people with a knife.

I don't understand the "logic" in opposing gun control laws that would reduce many deaths, just because occasionally a person is killed with something less dangerous, like a toaster or piece of broken glass.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The entire first page of google hits shows only two mass killings with knives. Yes, they were tragic, but they don't at all compare to the potential deaths from a killer with a gun.
The second hit from that Google search is a Wikipedia article detailing out 51 incidents. Not two.

I understand that it doesn't fit in with your narrative, but having a little bit of intellectual honesty would help you out in your argument, regardless of how morally bankrupt that argument is.

Quote:
The incident in China, where 29 were killed by knives, was done by TEN men. What might the death toll have been if those ten men had guns?
What might the death toll had been if armed citizens neutralized the attackers at the start of the incident?

Quote:
The incident in Japan, 19 dead, was carried out in a facility for disabled people while they were sleeping. Very sad that they were such a very easy target. (I don't know what was in place for security at the building.) No single person would normally be able to kill 19 people with a knife.
How many kindergarten children in a classroom could a man with a knife kill? Who would stop him? The teacher, by wielding a stern look?

Quote:
I don't understand the "logic" in opposing gun control laws that would reduce many deaths, just because occasionally a person is killed with something less dangerous, like a toaster or piece of broken glass.
Every time one of these incidents occurs, and the internet is flooded with cries for more gun regulations, the question is always asked - What new piece of gun legislation would have prevented the incident from occurring? And the answer is always the same - no new legislation would have prevented it.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

So what is the benefit of the armed staff? They may reduce the number killed but they cannot totally prevent the carnage.

Thoughts?
Short answer:

It makes the NRA feel good.

And when the NRA feels good, they make bigger contributions to the politicians that run cover for them.

Quid pro quo...

Old 02-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Short answer:

It makes the NRA feel good.

And when the NRA feels good, they make bigger contributions to the politicians that run cover for them.

Quid pro quo...

Are you really unable to see the true benefit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal

So what is the benefit of the armed staff? They may reduce the number killed but they cannot totally prevent the carnage.

Thoughts?
Is your blind hatred of the NRA and gun owners so strong that you would actually prefer more children are killed, rather that implementing a system that can reduce that number? Really??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates