Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:42 PM

10,764 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My "agenda?"

You're a funny boy.

You've got my honest answer and you don't like it. No need to get all puffed up.

Still don't want to answer the question? Understandable. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 04:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Still don't want to answer the question? Understandable. . .
It's your question.

You answer it.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It's your question.

You answer it.
I would prefer a system (specifically armed teachers and other school officials) that could result in a reduced number of children being killed.

Your turn.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I would prefer a system (specifically armed teachers and other school officials) that could result in a reduced number of children being killed.

Your turn.

See post #79 in this thread.

Later
Rinse
Repeat

Old 02-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
See post #79 in this thread.

Later
Rinse
Repeat

So, you would prefer to insult the NRA, while doing nothing to reduce the number of dead children. Got it.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
So, you would prefer to insult the NRA, while doing nothing to reduce the number of dead children. Got it.
No, I'd prefer to see you continue to unravel.

Carry on.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have said several times that I don't approve of militia-types in any school where I'm an administrator (or teacher).
I have said that I agree with the Florida governor's proposal to put one police officer per 1,000 students on duty in every school. I have also talked about how my former school system paid for a police officer at every middle and high school, and how trading one instructional position for one police position makes it cost effective.
I have said I support strengthening background checks, but not outlawing guns.
I have said that I support outlawing bump stocks.
It's not my fault that we have so many threads on the same topic that you can't keep up.

I don't know if I have the moral high ground but I know that in a poll released just today, over 70% favored stronger gun control.
Unfortunately that is what the liberals love-stronger gun control. Ok. How? How will it really work and what is the thought process behind it? It sounds good to say "I support more gun control." If you ask them exactly what they don't know or are completely misinformed.

Here in Georgia Dicks Sporting goods stores proclaimed they will no longer sell assault style guns. They asked the public what they thought and one person thought it was a great idea they were not going to sell automatic weapons, her words exactly.
What that tells me is people are making decisions based on false ideas which a huge amount of people have. On this forum several have suggested banning ar15s, but not other rifles. When asked why they said things like it wipes out people with 60 bullets per second. Totally wrong- one trigger pull, one bullet. Even a fully auto only fires a bit over 13 per second, not 60). So here's a person spreading misinformation like it was a fact just to further their cause. So purposely lying is their way of shifting opinion.
Every time someone points out the futility of banning an ar 15 with a long thread comparing the AR15 to other rifles and demonstrating they function the same and are generally equally as lethal as the ok hunting rifles (which some people are ok with, just get rid of the ar15), the poster asking for the ban ignores that and either continues to repeat themselves not willing to learn the facts. or they leave and spew out the same stuff on another thread.

For example on another thread someone suggested tiered gun ownership where you qualify to own different guns after a class. He pointed out he took a gun safety class and had to demonstrate his ability by firing 5 rounds. He suggested after the first tier you get a 22 rifle. Next tier a more powerful rifle, etc.
I asked him what exactly in the class will prevent someone like the Florida shooter to be swayed mentally. He can still take the class and pass and still get the firearm. If anything the class could make the person more skilled with the firearm and more dangerous.

The poster still hasn't answered because they haven't really thought it out. It sounded good on the surface, but when asked how it would actually helped they couldn't answer.

So I think a lot of that 70% doesn't really know what they support actually. They only know something should be done, they feel bad, but haven't looked into the real problem. It just sounds like the right thing to say, but it's like illegal immigrants. Many people say something should be done, but nothing specific.

On another note, I apologize if you actually posted all those things on other threads. I agree with what you listed so somewhere on this thread I thought you were saying different.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:44 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Since the cause of school shootings is deviant mental states, yes, mental detectors would be a good idea if they existed.

On the other hand, Cruz, the Parkland shooter's mental deviance was well known long before his crime and we did nothing. So maybe the problem isn't whether AR-15s are legal or whether teachers are armed in schools, but the fact that a person can walk around freely with his unstable, violent propensities well known, and nothing is done about it.

Legally owned full auto weapons have been used in 3 murders in the US since 1934.

I am far more afraid of hands and feet which are the murder weapon used in ~600-800 murders per year, and almost everyone (except amputees) is armed with these weapons at all times, even infants and toddlers!

(And for fun, it is interesting to note that rifles, all rifles, even granny's old .22 she uses to scare possoms off the porchand not just the dreaded AR-15, are used in 250-300 murders per year, a lot less that the good old fashioned human fist.)

AR-15s are not being used in these shooting because they possess some special effectiveness over other guns. They are used because they are trendy. If cans of gasoline were trendy, psychopaths would be tossing gasoline bombs through school windows.

See above. Making AR-15s illegal to prevent shootings is like making Flaming Hot Cheetos illegal to prevent type II diabetes.

I gotta say those were very good points.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cheeses, quit harping on the AK-47. The guy didn't use an AK, and flea market/private sales of full autos are most definitely NOT "booming". It costs *thousands* of dollars to obtain a full auto weapon whether legally or illegally. The people who have them are *well aware* of their value and they don't let them go cheap...you are totally talking through your...hat.
Thousands of dollars to obtain the most mass produced weapon on the planet? Seriously?!

Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
They asked the public what they thought and one person thought it was a great idea they were not going to sell automatic weapons, her words exactly.
Im not surprised at all!!

The AR seems to be in the same class as a mini-gun to many folks out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates