Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times

Advertisements

There is at least one school official with good sense. His solution to school shooting is low tech......but will work fine.

This low tech method will also help avoid the killing of any children...shooter or student.

Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks In Case of a School Shooting | WNEP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 08:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
There is at least one school official with good sense. His solution to school shooting is low tech......but will work fine.

This low tech method will also help avoid the killing of any children...shooter or student.

Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks In Case of a School Shooting | WNEP.com

You really believe that bringing a rock to a gun fight will save your life? It's not likes these nut cases announce they're coming and the students have time to prep for this!

Example:

Bad guy walks in classroom and open fires on students. Tell me how a 5 gal bucket filled with rocks sitting in a corner will help this situation?

You've also given these students a weapon (Rocks) to use against themselves. Whats to stop a student from grabbing a rock and throwing at another student? Let me guess,you're going to suggest locking the bucket of rocks up right.

Maybe you should walk around the hoods of IL with your bag of rocks and report back how this works out for you. Something tells me 1) You wouldn't have the nerve to do it and 2) You wouldn't survive to report back.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You've also given these students a weapon (Rocks) to use against themselves. Whats to stop a student from grabbing a rock and throwing at another student?
Um...the same thing that stopped the student from bringing the rocks to school on his own for all these years?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Um...the same thing that stopped the student from bringing the rocks to school on his own for all these years?
But they're not bringing them in on their own they're available right in class now. My point is it's just plain dumb to "think" you're going to stop a lunatic with a gun by throwing rocks at him. Besides even if other students from another room started throwing them the shooter would've already taken out most if not all of the original classroom.

I'd also bet that most students first instinct would be to hit the floor and climb under a desk than go to a closet and get a bucket of rocks. They're going to be surprised and startled and kids don't have the reaction timing needed,heck I'd bet most adults given the same situation couldn't react quick enough.By the time your brain can process what's actually going on you'd be dead.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:20 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
But they're not bringing them in on their own they're available right in class now. My point is it's just plain dumb to "think" you're going to stop a lunatic with a gun by throwing rocks at him. Besides even if other students from another room started throwing them the shooter would've already taken out most if not all of the original classroom.

I'd also bet that most students first instinct would be to hit the floor and climb under a desk than go to a closet and get a bucket of rocks. They're going to be surprised and startled and kids don't have the reaction timing needed,heck I'd bet most adults given the same situation couldn't react quick enough.By the time your brain can process what's actually going on you'd be dead.
I get your point. I don't agree that its dumb. Reality is that the bulk of students don't go to school to try to harm anyone. The bulk of schools have never had a single shooter incident or any other notable violence against its students or faculty. Speaking on the side of what's really happening out there, not many are going to be dead because of a few sick individuals.

We tend to want to throw out the baby with the bath water. We tend to want to err on the side of the few rather than the masses. Sometimes that's a good thing, like when our founding fathers wrote that they would rather set many criminals free than to see an innocent man prosecuted and imprisoned. Sometimes its a bad thing, like those that would rather hinder the rights of millions because a few people have become dangerous.

If a bucket of rocks makes a student and community feel better, I don't personally have a problem with it. I also would never underestimate how accurate a country kid can be with a few rocks.

Not that I'm a religious zealot or anything, but I do recall a historical recollection of David and Goliath. A war ended because of a kid with a rock.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:16 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I get your point. I don't agree that its dumb. Reality is that the bulk of students don't go to school to try to harm anyone. The bulk of schools have never had a single shooter incident or any other notable violence against its students or faculty. Speaking on the side of what's really happening out there, not many are going to be dead because of a few sick individuals.

We tend to want to throw out the baby with the bath water. We tend to want to err on the side of the few rather than the masses. Sometimes that's a good thing, like when our founding fathers wrote that they would rather set many criminals free than to see an innocent man prosecuted and imprisoned. Sometimes its a bad thing, like those that would rather hinder the rights of millions because a few people have become dangerous.

If a bucket of rocks makes a student and community feel better, I don't personally have a problem with it. I also would never underestimate how accurate a country kid can be with a few rocks.

Not that I'm a religious zealot or anything, but I do recall a historical recollection of David and Goliath. A war ended because of a kid with a rock.

Exactly!!

Ya gonna just lay there or are ya gonna chunk a rock up side the head of the bad guy????

Old 03-25-2018, 01:25 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Or you could just have strong doors that lock. According to most school safety experts that is the #1 way to protect a class. There has never been a documented case of a school shooter taking the time to break down a properly secured door.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Or you could just have strong doors that lock. According to most school safety experts that is the #1 way to protect a class. There has never been a documented case of a school shooter taking the time to break down a properly secured door.

This exactly!

Having kids bring rocks to school is just asking for trouble! I can see it now, kids pegging other kids in the head with rocks

Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM

220 posts, read 145,527 times
There's a joke about fools bring a knife to a gunfight. Nobody would believe it if it said rocks!

As I say repeatedly, sending your kids to most public schools is approaching child abuse. Ditto for many Catholic schools since they've gone so PC.

Last week it's likely lives were saved in a Southern Maryland school when the armed police officer took down the kid shooter.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:33 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

I want to see a kid throw a rock 25-50 yards to take out a shooter

LUNACY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates