Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 03:16 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
A great many post on the school shooting topic dehumanize the kid who is the "shooter" to allow him/her to stop being a child just like those children in danger. All that is left then is for the posters to call for another child's death.

Rocks may not ensure a "kill" but will stop one child from harming another child without another death.

IMO calling for a child to be put to death for any reason is abhorrent to me. What about you????
The shooter in Florida was not a "child" but an adult. The one in Maryland, however, was under eighteen. A couple of the media outlets here stopped identifying him after a couple days and referred to him as "the Great Mills shooter".

In any event in that case, two families are devastated. That's not to minimize Rollins' actions but just recognizing that by shooting his ex-girlfriend and he wrought destruction not just here and her family but also his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 03:25 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
After guns are ramped up everywhere, including in the classroom, the "bad guys" will have move up to explosives. Then it'll be about teachers having explosives. Increasing the firepower is the never-ending answer for some.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:28 PM

492 posts, read 630,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
A great many post on the school shooting topic dehumanize the kid who is the "shooter" to allow him/her to stop being a child just like those children in danger. All that is left then is for the posters to call for another child's death.

Rocks may not ensure a "kill" but will stop one child from harming another child without another death.

IMO calling for a child to be put to death for any reason is abhorrent to me. What about you????
Any man, woman, boy or girl that pick up a weapon, travels to a crowded place and starts shooting needs to be stopped asap. In Cancel Carry classes you learn not shoot to wound when some one is shooting at you, shoot to kill. There is not one poster on here that wants another child's death. None of us want another shooting at a school or any other public place.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:43 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
After guns are ramped up everywhere, including in the classroom, the "bad guys" will have move up to explosives. Then it'll be about teachers having explosives. Increasing the firepower is the never-ending answer for some.
Naw - we can just turn every school into an airport with armed federal agents and metal detectors all paid for by your tax dollars. We will then have to make it a crime to take a gun onto school property to aid with prosecution and avoid misunderstandings. After that we may have to do the same with Subways, sporting events and other crowded public venues all so everyone can enjoy their 2nd amendment freedoms.

See how that works - oh but don't try to take that bump stock into a gun range because they have rules too.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:50 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The shooter in Florida was not a "child" but an adult. The one in Maryland, however, was under eighteen. A couple of the media outlets here stopped identifying him after a couple days and referred to him as "the Great Mills shooter".

In any event in that case, two families are devastated. That's not to minimize Rollins' actions but just recognizing that by shooting his ex-girlfriend and he wrought destruction not just here and her family but also his own.
Yes, the news media dropped the story with the Maryland shooter. He stole his DAD's gun to shot his former girlfriend. Adam Lanza situation of "responsible adult gun owners" teaching their Minor children and letting them have access to their guns? Nancy Lanza comes to mind my mind.

Bullying? So a teenage girl cannot break up with her boyfriend? Does that constitute bullying too? Actually in that case Daddy and his gun should be held criminally liable for not locking up his guns for their children to get at. But, but, but I taught them GUN SAFETY!!!!

Old 03-29-2018, 04:46 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, the news media dropped the story with the Maryland shooter. He stole his DAD's gun to shot his former girlfriend. Adam Lanza situation of "responsible adult gun owners" teaching their Minor children and letting them have access to their guns? Nancy Lanza comes to mind my mind.

Bullying? So a teenage girl cannot break up with her boyfriend? Does that constitute bullying too? Actually in that case Daddy and his gun should be held criminally liable for not locking up his guns for their children to get at. But, but, but I taught them GUN SAFETY!!!!

Maryland statutes do hold parents liable for negligent storage of a firearm. Having said that, Lanza killed his mother and then accessed the guns.

It's still unknown what the Maryland situation was. It should be noted, and even the DC (more or less local) dropped the ball, the County where it happened is extremely rural with a tradition of hunting.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Given the option of m kids cowering under a desk waiting to be shot and 30 kids pelting one kid or adult who had a gun and potentially stopping him or her, I will take the latter.

What is a bucket of rocks in the corner going to do for the first six kids the shooter shoots? Nothing, but for the other 24 kids in the classroom it might give them at least some chance. If it doesn't if gives the kids in the classroom next door at least some chance. That is better than no chance.

It can also serve as a deterrent. If a shooter knows he will be resisted, he may think twice about going shooting i a school and go to a shopping mall or a church instead.

I always wondered in church shootings why people did not just turn than throw their hymnals at the shooter. You get hit with 125 hymnals and you are done. Even 30 would probably take someone out of action. However it is hard to second guess what anyone might do in a situation you have not been in and cannot imagine. Without any training, probably everyone is just focusing on hiding or running. That gives the shooter all the time in the world to find and select targets.

Maybe training kids to throw rocks and congregants to throw hymnals is necessary.

No I do not think kids are suddenly going to start throwing rocks at each other and people in churches are not suddenly going to start throwing hymnals at each other during church. To me that proposition just seems plain silly.

I certainly favor doing something over doing nothing. The naysayers on this are not offering any alternative solution that will accomplish anything.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I want to see a kid throw a rock 25-50 yards to take out a shooter

LUNACY!
I have never seen a classroom that is 25 - 50 yards wide or deep. not to mention an untrained shooter is not going to hit much of anything at that distance. The school shootings have been at very short range.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Just before I got to high school, a simlar thing happened in my high school, only there was no gun. The guy killed his girlfriend in the school stairwell with a kitchen knife. Mom should have been held criminally liable for not locking up her kitchen knives. The guy was 18 or 19 anyway, so Mom or Dad could not be held responsible anyway.

Then there is the guy who chopped his parents up with a Katana. My daughter has had a Katana since she was about 12. It is part of her Anime collection. - Ban Anime!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:22 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
San Diego has a cop on campus at first and last bells. High fences and one way in/out with an armed guard at front desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates