Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,016 times

Advertisements

As each year passes the public health campaigns get greater against smoking, taxes go up all the time, you might have to pay more health insurance if you smoke.

More anti smoking propaganda on the TV, makes the younger generation less likely to smoke, and more restrictions on Advertising.

Plus as our society becomes ever more competitive, hard working, health oriented and trying to live longer - people change their behaviour in order to get ahead.

With more people living longer - the rates of Cancer, heart disease etc -and the costs - our goverments and employers will pressure people not to smoke and drink more and more.

Even Alcohol, more news stories about Alcohol being one of the primary causes of cancer, when before it was smoking. Eventually it will go the way of smoking.

The health dangers - just not being worth a small buzz from a cigarette, or getting drunk. Therefore we will design drugs which mimic there effects with much less dangers, such as the electronic cigarette.

Will people look back - in 50 years time at now with people in bars drinking and smoking as quite odd and old fashioned - will it only be todays generation who are keeping it going.

and the younger ones will look at it as habits of the old people.

I think in 50 years virtually no one will smoke or drink - they habits of the 19th century - not something which is going to fit in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
As each year passes the public health campaigns get greater against smoking, taxes go up all the time, you might have to pay more health insurance if you smoke.

More anti smoking propaganda on the TV, makes the younger generation less likely to smoke, and more restrictions on Advertising.

Plus as our society becomes ever more competitive, hard working, health oriented and trying to live longer - people change their behaviour in order to get ahead.

With more people living longer - the rates of Cancer, heart disease etc -and the costs - our goverments and employers will pressure people not to smoke and drink more and more.

Even Alcohol, more news stories about Alcohol being one of the primary causes of cancer, when before it was smoking. Eventually it will go the way of smoking.

The health dangers - just not being worth a small buzz from a cigarette, or getting drunk. Therefore we will design drugs which mimic there effects with much less dangers, such as the electronic cigarette.

Will people look back - in 50 years time at now with people in bars drinking and smoking as quite odd and old fashioned - will it only be todays generation who are keeping it going.

I think in 50 years virtually no one will smoke or drink - they habits of the 19th century - not something which is going to fit in the future.
Well, that might happen with smoking, but people have been drinking fermented, alcoholic beverages for thousands (if not millions) of years, I don't see that going away any time soon.

Besides, there are *some* benefits to drinking (wine especially), and it is far more cultural than smoking.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:

The whole anti tobacco & alcohol campaigns are nothing more than manufactured 'crisis" to distract and manage the population so as to keep them afraid , turn one on the the other with propaganda, and to give the illusion of caring of big gov't so the "slippery slope" can become a legal guideline for attacking other civil liberties of personal choice. First tobacco then obesity, then soda pop etc. until we all "do as we are told".

at the end of the day tobacco profits will split with big pharma and alcohol will continue on

Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Doubt alcohol consumption will go away in the next half century.

Tobacco? Maybe. The amount of smokers in this country has declined precipitously. I realize this is anecdote, but I remember my parents throwing parties in our well-to-do suburb. It seemed as if everybody had a cigarette in their hands. Today, my wife and I can count the number of people we know who smoke on one hand.

Here's another example. We were watching a movie with my well-read 15 year old last year. After listening to some dialog, she looked up and asked me, "Dad, what's an ashtray?" That should tell you a lot right there.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Native cultures discovered the hop, the tobacco and the grape many moons ago and have continued using them through countless campaigns, edicts and Governmental persuasions.

42% of Americans are estimated to have tried pot at least once; Big Brother has been on it since Anslinger wore a badge and they still haven't won that particular war on "drugs".

People do what they want, when they want to.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,411 times
Uh no, and your premise for the future is ridiculous as well.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
even with the raise in cigaretes, I still see an awful lot of teenagers in my neighborhood smoking.
Apparantely the price raise isnt working to well.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:30 PM

49 posts, read 99,859 times
Quote:

Not sure where you're getting that anti-smoking propaganda on TV makes younger generations less likely to smoke. This may be dependent on where in the country you are, but much differently than the poster who can count on one hand how many people he knows that smoke, I couldn't count how many smokers I know if I tried. Lots of them are over 30, but I know plenty of people under 25 who smoke as well.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 PM

49 posts, read 99,859 times
And to add, my 16 year old sister started smoking when she was 14 and as far as I know most of her friends still smoke although she's quit. So when I say under 25 I mean teenagers as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Most humans like to indulge in substances of one kind or another that aren't necessarily good for them...we all know it..... but we still do....I think it will always be that way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates