Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I can't find the exact article so who knows the details....it's a matter of degree, I suppose. People can't run around the streets flashing others - doesn't that limit "free speech"? If cat-calling or lecherous remarks are unwanted, there seems to be a case though I'd make it a much smaller fine.
You tell me when words are equal to a physical action. Absolutely in parenting, but not really much else beyond that. Part of being an adult is being able to brush off D-bags like dandruff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater, not, I'm pretty sure, can you publicly advocate violence against a person or group. There are limits to free speech. The question is, where to draw the line. Opinions on that will vary.
Yelling fire in a crowded theater causes a situation where people panic and get hurt. There's a good logic behind that.

Yelling something like "nice tiddies, lady!" is uncouth and moronic, perhaps worth a stern kick in the groin, but hurts nobody on its own. That's a "get over it" situation. You start fining or jailing people over that and soon we'll all live in that fascist wasteland the extreme liberals seem to be so terrified of, despite it also being their goal through willful and arrogant ignorance.

Publicly advocating violence against a people group is a very gray area. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it isn't. Is it just a crazy ranting dude on the street or is it a rally of hateful people? Is it advocating against a group of people causing violence themselves or a peaceful group just trying to live their lives? Is it acted upon?

Whatever the case, thought policing is more dangerous than guns in the long run.

Do not misunderstand me though, I am an advocate of conducting yourself politely in public. As soon as it is legally enforced though, it's gone too far. Especially if it's only targeting one gender. After all, two wrongs do not make a right.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
I have a bad feeling eventually certain groups will deem this law "racist" and riot over it!

Old 05-29-2018, 01:00 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
And if a woman whistles at a man? Or says: Great body!

Old 05-29-2018, 02:01 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In The Week magazine this week: With the passing of a new French law under which men can be fined up to $880 if they whistle at or make lewd comments to women on the streets.

What do you think about this? The fine is too high, too low, shouldn't even exist in the first place?

Now what if you purse your lips into a kiss at a woman in the streets? Or what if a female Lesbian whistles at another woman on the streets? Exempt because she's not a man?
Wouldn't a defense be that you felt like a woman that day so you had self transgendered therefore not a "man" when you whistled?

I don't want women to feel unsafe or harassed but I can see this becoming a weapon to shut men up as a power trip.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:12 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Holy ****, the people in here are insane...

Meanwhile the mass raping continues in France...

Old 05-29-2018, 02:14 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Wouldn't a defense be that you felt like a woman that day so you had self transgendered therefore not a "man" when you whistled?

I don't want women to feel unsafe or harassed but I can see this becoming a weapon to shut men up as a power trip.
Was thinking the same too lol.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
Quote:

Currently all the catcalling and butt-smacking and unwanted groping etc. that men have been doing since forever is, and has been, a power trip for men. Men who do this stuff have been using that behavior as a weapon since time began. It is time to stop. Try to understand what it does to women instead of worrying only about yourselves.

When I was was young, I was catcalled frequently. It is humiliating and intimidating. It made me angry that I couldn’t just walk down a street without getting harassed and my body scrutinized and my walk commented on. My breasts and buttocks commented on. It made me angry that there was nothing I could do about it. Why should I have to accept and “blow off” the abuse. And it was frequent.

Yes, the verbal abuse does hurt people.

I was walking down a sidewalk (in 1972) and was passing by a man walking in the opposite direction. He reached out and grabbed my right breast as we passed and then laughed at me because he knew there was nothing I could do about it.

I can’t understand why so many guys are so resistant to treating women with respect. It is time to stop the harassment and if it takes fines to do it, so be it. It is a shame that fines are necessary.

Last edited by Gusano; 05-29-2018 at 02:46 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 06:41 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Currently all the catcalling and butt-smacking and unwanted groping etc. that men have been doing since forever is, and has been, a power trip for men. Men who do this stuff have been using that behavior as a weapon since time began. It is time to stop. Try to understand what it does to women instead of worrying only about yourselves.

When I was was young, I was catcalled frequently. It is humiliating and intimidating. It made me angry that I couldn’t just walk down a street without getting harassed and my body scrutinized and my walk commented on. My breasts and buttocks commented on. It made me angry that there was nothing I could do about it. Why should I have to accept and “blow off” the abuse. And it was frequent.

Yes, the verbal abuse does hurt people.

I was walking down a sidewalk (in 1972) and was passing by a man walking in the opposite direction. He reached out and grabbed my right breast as we passed and then laughed at me because he knew there was nothing I could do about it.

I can’t understand why so many guys are so resistant to treating women with respect. It is time to stop the harassment and if it takes fines to do it, so be it. It is a shame that fines are necessary.
The law was for whistling at a woman and you've changed it to physical contact...Groping a woman's breast is already illegal and verbal harassment would/could be criminal harassment. A man was just arrested the other day for slapping a woman's but in a Denney's.

Try to stay on target of the discussion which is whistling.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
Quote:
The law was for whistling at a woman and you've changed it to physical contact...Groping a woman's breast is already illegal and verbal harassment would/could be criminal harassment. A man was just arrested the other day for slapping a woman's but in a Denney's.

Try to stay on target of the discussion which is whistling.
I addressed that in my post as well. Please re-read.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:12 AM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
should have been a nice even thousand............................maybe two thousand if i had my druthers.

why??? when i was 15 and waiting for a bus in my candystriper jumper and white therapeutic shoes, bobbysoxer socks, way before mini-skirts hit the fashion runways and that jumper was way below my knee cap..... while i waited for the 14E bus to take me to Englewood hospital, I had to stand there and undergo the most humiliating, disgusting, lecherous guys hanging out the passenger window, hooting, howling like wolves, waggling their tongues, licking their lips, calling me things i had no clue what they meant.... all i knew was: i felt dirty. i felt ashamed. i felt like crying. i felt so confused and awful and plain old just lost at sea..... not understanding at all what i had done to deserve it.

Yes. I think we need a law here too, because no woman is a slab of meat men get to drool over. period. so endeth the lesson in decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates