Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
This is a a little off topic but kind of related, but when it comes to terrorists dying over a 'fairytale' as it was put, I have a question about that.

A lot of times when the Islamic category of extremists are made fun of, they are often talked about for getting 72 virgins in the afterlife, for their sacrifices.

However, I was curious, why would they want 72 virgins? I mean... not to offend anyone or sound shallow or anything, but wouldn't most men want women with experience or at least some?
Because culturally unless the woman experienced sex from her husband and is now a widow she is unclean and not worthy of being a mate for the pious. And certainly not someone God would give as a reward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:53 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
The leaders of the terrorists are certainly cowards, otherwise, why would they send women or 20-year-olds to death? Why dont they give the backpacks to their kids, whom they want to protect until their last breath??
That can also be seen similarly from the other side. Why do countries send 18 year olds to do battle (some are wars of choice") where many come home in a coffin? Are the leaders of those countries cowards too?

Anyway, I think terrorists are very brave. I would not wrap a bomb on myself for any cause.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 07-12-2018 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
No, of course terrorists aren't cowards. I think it was just a political ploy to insult them.

It would be more sensible to say that people are cowards when they attack their enemies with drones, while sitting comfortably in safety.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 PM

643 posts, read 329,283 times
I thought it was cowardly during the Iraq/Iran war when kids were sent out ahead of soldiers to detect land mines and save the soldiers' life.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

It would be more sensible to say that people are cowards when they attack their enemies with drones, while sitting comfortably in safety.
yes, if that isnt cowardly, Im not sure what is!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
As much as I hate to say it, I have to admit that not all terrorists are cowards. Nor are all their acts cowardly.

Courage is simply shoving your fear aside and doing what you think you personally should do. It says nothing about the moral standing of the actions. So yes, a person can be courageous and morally bad in his or her acts at the same time.

Flying planes into a building, fully realizing it means certain death, I certainly wouldn't consider cowardly. It does take a certain but no less real kind of balls to crash a vehicle into a huge structure, just knowing you won't live to tell about it. Morally outrageous, yes, 9/11 certainly was - especially against the civilian targets. But as I said, morality and courage are two entirely different personal traits.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
I would say running over women with baby carriages is kinda cowardly.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:08 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No, of course terrorists aren't cowards. I think it was just a political ploy to insult them.

So if someone was coming at you with a knife and you had a gun, you would put the gun down and get a knife so that you would not be a coward?

That's textbook stupidity.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That's textbook stupidity.
Confusing attacking with defending?
Maybe, maybe not.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:10 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
I honestly do believe that it is less cowardly to sacrifice oneself in a cause that one believes is bigger than yourself than to sit in a trailer & kill people from drones who may, or may not be soldiers on the other side of the world, just to be able to qualify for a pension.

One can be courageous & stupidly wrong but one can also be amoral & wrong. But if you believe in your cause & don't question authority, just go along to get along, you can be talked into anything by using god or country as the motivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates