Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Didn't we have a discussion on this just the other week on how police confrontations go? You have to put the argument into context. Police can require you to comply with a lawful act, for instance when facing arrest. The conversation usually goes in three stages - ask, demand, force. Textbook police procedure here:
1st step - Ask - Sir put your hand behind your back. No reaction from citizen.
2nd step - Demand - GET YOUR *** HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK NOW. No reaction from citizen.
Final step - Make - Cop face plants citizen and pins hands against back while applying tazer or bat against citizens skull.

So what do you suggest should be the approach after the ask phase? Police should return to squad car and bring out cookies and ask again?

And somewhere in between those procedural elements is the usual refusal to comply because I didn't do anything wrong.

That last part is what you're supposed to tell the judge, not the officer.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The op is about speech not actions. Failure to comply is a different topic. Stay on topic!
If you think they're not speaking while they're failing to comply, you're not listening.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No sir. We are American citizens. And whether you or they like it or not, we pay their salary. The legislators we elect write and enact the laws. So we have every right to judge. And actually, they do not have the right "to judge".
No sir, you are a white person and I am a black person. Any "disobeying of a cop or obstruction of an officer" will promptly result in mean being shot to death in front of my spouse.

You are more than welcome to waste your time whining about the American police force and testing your constitutional rights every time you are stopped by one.

Me, I'm going to comply 100% with the officer and continue to be a law abiding citizen as to avoid any needless confrontation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I agree that a beatdown is warranted in many cases, especially if one is refusing a lawful order. I'm good with it.People need to learn to have some respect for the law.

But I don;t agree with you on cop being low paid. LA and NYC cops for example make like 80K+ after only 5 years or so. Thats quite a bit for the limited education that job requires. If you're going into that field...much like teachers........you know exactly what you will be paid for the next decade or so until there's a contract change.
The cops making big money are hardly the ones patrolling the streets or answering domestic dispute calls. They're upper management who sit in an office all day

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/po...imeline-974457

Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

The cops making big money are hardly the ones patrolling the streets or answering domestic dispute calls. They're upper management who sit in an office all day

Depends on your idea of big money or good money. NYPD pays 85k after 5 years regarless of who you are.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
If you're not "obstructing," desturbing the peace, or disooeying legit orders, then no. They can leave the situation if they want to. They can't be trusted for the most part anyway, they think their gods among mortals.
I don't care if you're doing ALL of those simultaneously, they still don't get to beat the crap out of you.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No sir, you are a white person and I am a black person. Any "disobeying of a cop or obstruction of an officer" will promptly result in mean being shot to death in front of my spouse.

You are more than welcome to waste your time whining about the American police force and testing your constitutional rights every time you are stopped by one.

Me, I'm going to comply 100% with the officer and continue to be a law abiding citizen as to avoid any needless confrontation.

And you have every right to handle a situation with the police in whatever you think is best. No one is saying you shouldn't.

And I've never tested my constitutional rights with a police officer. I'm rather compliant.

But those two things don't mean that we shouldn't be discussing the realities of the situation in this nation.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:53 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Didn't we have a discussion on this just the other week on how police confrontations go? You have to put the argument into context. Police can require you to comply with a lawful act, for instance when facing arrest. The conversation usually goes in three stages - ask, demand, force. Textbook police procedure here:
1st step - Ask - Sir put your hand behind your back. No reaction from citizen.
2nd step - Demand - GET YOUR *** HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK NOW. No reaction from citizen.
Final step - Make - Cop face plants citizen and pins hands against back while applying tazer or bat against citizens skull.

So what do you suggest should be the approach after the ask phase? Police should return to squad car and bring out cookies and ask again?
If the suspect isn't actively resisting, there's no need to face plant them, beat them, or taze them. If they are actively resisting, the officer should use only the force necessary, and once handcuffed, there's no need to continue beating, kicking, punching, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I agree that a beatdown is warranted in many cases, especially if one is refusing a lawful order. I'm good with it.People need to learn to have some respect for the law.
That's wrong on many levels. A beatdown is never warranted, only enough force to subdue the suspect and get then handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
On aside note. Baloney to an officer 'handling' a person without following acknowledgment of the code being violated. A citizen is not mandated to comply . If I resist arrest I may well be saving my own life in the process.
In some states, like Texas, resisting an unlawful arrest is still a crime.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Police have too much authority imo, I say knock them down a few pegs.

Plus I would prefer we start teaching our kids their RIGHTS when interacting with a police officer instead of just telling them to OBEY anything and everything they tell you. Ive seen first hand when police took advantage of people who did not really know their rights, police used that in order to intimidate a person into giving them permission to search a car.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
I think the cop has a right to beat your stupid ass if you do that. Do as your ****ing told. It's that simple.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think the cop has a right to beat your stupid ass if you do that. Do as your ****ing told. It's that simple.
Why? Just because they wear a uniform and carry a badge doesn't make them right. If I am standing on a public sidewalk and taking pictures, I am going to tell a cop to get lost if he tells me to stop, since I have the right to take those pictures. Same thing if I am just walking down the street, or sitting in my parked car eating a sandwich. Cops aren't God, they are public servants. They are also frequently wrong in their understanding of how much power they actually have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates