Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 04:37 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, it didn't bother me. I did the same thing when I saw customers come into the store I worked at. For instance, anyone who backed into a parking space or left their car running while they came in, anyone who watched me as they shopped, anyone who parked next door where I couldn't see the car when we had open spots right outside the door - those people got my attention fast. That's seeing people break pattern and were they profiled as possible robbers or thieves when they came in? You bet your sweet hiney.

And in case you don't know, this fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of profiling is how Israelis keep their airlines safe.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Pa...-rights-513360

"Israeli security has been adamant in the use of profiling to recognize airplane passengers who may threaten the safety of the flight. Behavioral experts are highly trained in reading body language to pick up on the signs of potential nervousness or unusual behavior; the process does not rely on the appearance of the individual. It simply picks up on passengers’ behavioral patterns."

Our courts are stupid. Profiling works. If you get stopped because you match the profile of someone who is a robber or a murderer, simply being polite, truthful, and above all courteous (and it sure doesn't hurt if you're driving with a license, insurance card, and car registration AND you don't have anything illegal in the car with you) should get you sent on your way in about 5 to 10 minutes.

I'm not saying that is accurate all the time or that there are not cops out there on power trips, but I'd say this is true for about 98% of the time. If it was your little girl stuck in the trunk of a car who pulled the wires of taillight and that car wasn't stopped for having a taillight out, you'd be screaming blue murder about the cops not doing their job.

You can't have it both ways. If you want people arrested for doing illegal things, then you have to put up with cops stopping the people they think are suspicious. If they don't stop those people, there will be a lot more of them getting away with crime and therefore, more crime. If this is the case because you don't want cops to stop the people they think are suspicious, then you can't complain because your house gets broken into or your car gets stolen. That simple.
We don't live in Israel, so that's irrelevant. I would be pissed off to be stopped for no apparent reason, other than a cop had a hunch. That's a violation of my rights, and I ahve better things to do than be polite to a cop on a crusade. He's no better than me, certainly no smarter. Unless he has reasonable suspicion, which means an articulable fact that indicates criminal activity is underway, he has no reason to stop me.

I don't care if cops don't solve every crime. That's impossible anyway. I certainly do care that my rights not be violated in the name of "it's safer".

Having a tail light out is reasonable suspicion to stop someone, since it's generally a traffic code violation in the US. Nice try to turn this into "it's for the children", though.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, it didn't bother me. I did the same thing when I saw customers come into the store I worked at. For instance, anyone who backed into a parking space or left their car running while they came in, anyone who watched me as they shopped, anyone who parked next door where I couldn't see the car when we had open spots right outside the door - those people got my attention fast. That's seeing people break pattern and were they profiled as possible robbers or thieves when they came in? You bet your sweet hiney.

And in case you don't know, this fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of profiling is how Israelis keep their airlines safe.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Pa...-rights-513360

"Israeli security has been adamant in the use of profiling to recognize airplane passengers who may threaten the safety of the flight. Behavioral experts are highly trained in reading body language to pick up on the signs of potential nervousness or unusual behavior; the process does not rely on the appearance of the individual. It simply picks up on passengers’ behavioral patterns."

Our courts are stupid. Profiling works. If you get stopped because you match the profile of someone who is a robber or a murderer, simply being polite, truthful, and above all courteous (and it sure doesn't hurt if you're driving with a license, insurance card, and car registration AND you don't have anything illegal in the car with you) should get you sent on your way in about 5 to 10 minutes.

I'm not saying that is accurate all the time or that there are not cops out there on power trips, but I'd say this is true for about 98% of the time. If it was your little girl stuck in the trunk of a car who pulled the wires of taillight and that car wasn't stopped for having a taillight out, you'd be screaming blue murder about the cops not doing their job.

You can't have it both ways. If you want people arrested for doing illegal things, then you have to put up with cops stopping the people they think are suspicious. If they don't stop those people, there will be a lot more of them getting away with crime and therefore, more crime. If this is the case because you don't want cops to stop the people they think are suspicious, then you can't complain because your house gets broken into or your car gets stolen. That simple.
So you don't mind if we profile you based on your posts?

Old 09-12-2018, 12:18 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Most posting don’t feel the officer has any right to force them to do anything
Non compliance is perceived as a civil right
And law obedience is a matter of perception and opinion
Hence the expression
Law enforcement
For those who feel they are above the law - we have police
...who feel they're above the law...

hmm...seems to be a pattern...

Old 09-12-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I know a cop, and he says that a lot of people will try to say insulting things to him to tray to bait him into a fight, hoping that they will be beaten and can then report it to get out of legal trouble.

He says he always keeps his cool and never lets insults gets to him and does not take it personally. I think that is what some other officers have to do as well, and just not let it get to them, like you see or read about sometimes.
Yep. More oughta be the definition of civil in civil servant.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The nice little detail you forgot is that the cops have a right to stabilize the situation while another cop gets a search or arrest warrant. Cops don't have to assume that someone who refuses a search is a law-abiding citizen.
They don't assume that on any traffic stop... or seemingly in general. If they're getting an arrest warrant, they've already ran you, which they usually do before doing anything else. Any cop searching your car before running your license and registration is wrong, and you should deny them the search on that reason alone. And search warrants just aren't presigned by a judge, where they simply fill in your info like some money order. Personally I deny they ***** off jumpstreet, I have nothing to hide, so there's no reason to search my spit. Not doing anything isn't even an excuse to not pull you over, They even find "not doing anything," or being "law abiding" suspicious activity.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:51 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
They don't assume that on any traffic stop... or seemingly in general. If they're getting an arrest warrant, they've already ran you, which they usually do before doing anything else. Any cop searching your car before running your license and registration is wrong, and you should deny them the search on that reason alone. And search warrants just aren't presigned by a judge, where they simply fill in your info like some money order. Personally I deny they ***** off jumpstreet, I have nothing to hide, so there's no reason to search my spit. Not doing anything isn't even an excuse to not pull you over, They even find "not doing anything," or being "law abiding" suspicious activity.
I am really struggling to make sense of your post. But cops do have a right to ensure that they are not endangered by something in the car.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Driving a beater in a town where there aren't many of them is not probable cause for a stop under any circumstances. Not fitting a pattern has been slapped down by courts on numerous occasions, as has fitting a pattern. Stupid cop was hoping to get something for nothing.
you don't need probable cause to pull someone over. Learn the law. then make sensible posts.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you don't need probable cause to pull someone over. Learn the law. then make sensible posts.
Why -- exactly -- is it a good reason to pull someone over with no probable cause?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am really struggling to make sense of your post. But cops do have a right to ensure that they are not endangered by something in the car.
Sounds like it be best they stay out the car, then.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
In theory you should be free to say anything to a cop and he shouldn't be able to arrest or beat you so long as you're not breaking any laws (so obviously you could be arrested for threats, etc.).

But that assumes that we live in a free country, and under rule of law. You might as well expect leprechauns riding unicorns that **** rainbows... it's just not the world we live in. "Free country" and "rule of law" are abstract principles at best... fairytales more often.

The reality is that a cop can execute you in cold blood on video with witnesses... and odds are pretty good that she will face no consequences. I'm not happy about this reality, but that's the world we live in.

So in my opinion... don't taunt the police. You wouldn't taunt a rattlesnake would you? No, you'd just avoid any contact whatsoever with rattlesnakes if possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates