Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 01:28 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

People who don't commit crimes and don't break the law rarely have run-ins with law enforcement.

Curious how that works, isn't it?

Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We don't live in Israel, so that's irrelevant. I would be pissed off to be stopped for no apparent reason, other than a cop had a hunch. That's a violation of my rights, and I ahve better things to do than be polite to a cop on a crusade. He's no better than me, certainly no smarter. Unless he has reasonable suspicion, which means an articulable fact that indicates criminal activity is underway, he has no reason to stop me.

I don't care if cops don't solve every crime. That's impossible anyway. I certainly do care that my rights not be violated in the name of "it's safer".

Having a tail light out is reasonable suspicion to stop someone, since it's generally a traffic code violation in the US. Nice try to turn this into "it's for the children", though.
Too bad we don't live in Israel. Maybe then we wouldn't be subject to long lines at airports, body scans, and putting our shoes in trays.

Yeah, you're the kind that doesn't care if cops don't solve every crime unless it happens to you or someone you love. Happens all the time. People hate cops until they need them for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you don't mind if we profile you based on your posts?
Feel free.

Quote:
Why -- exactly -- is it a good reason to pull someone over with no probable cause?
Maybe you called the cops because you had a suspicion the house next door to you is being used as a drug house? You think someone is driving around your neighborhood casing houses? Because you see a someone riding a bike or driving a car you think he stole from your garage? Lots of reasons. Want your bike or your car back? How else is a cop supposed to determine it's yours if he doesn't stop the car or the person riding the bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Why would I trust *anyone* who chooses to harass, assault, intimidate, and extort as a profession? And who can murder innocent people on a whim with little or no accountability?
If you feel like that, why don't you just call your local police department and ask them to never respond to any 911 call you might make? Seems simple enough.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If you feel like that, why don't you just call your local police department and ask them to never respond to any 911 call you might make? Seems simple enough.
Or how about I use them whenever and however I want? Since they really deserve no respect anyway...

Old 09-13-2018, 04:44 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

I've seen a rise in the recruitment of police from the ranks of prior military people, and that may explain the extreme views some police hold with regard to their "power" as opposed to that of the citizen. They are way too accustomed to being an occupying military force rather than a crime fighting force. In any case it isn't a good idea to hire people who may well be harboring thoughts of citizens being "the enemy."
Former military actually make better cops from ecerything I've seen They are used to operating within certain rules of engagement, and are seldom trigger happy. If they've seen combat, they are more likely to clearly assess the situation before escalating the situation.

Quote:
Too bad we don't live in Israel. Maybe then we wouldn't be subject to long lines at airports, body scans, and putting our shoes in trays.

Yeah, you're the kind that doesn't care if cops don't solve every crime unless it happens to you or someone you love. Happens all the time. People hate cops until they need them for something.

Feel free.

Maybe you called the cops because you had a suspicion the house next door to you is being used as a drug house? You think someone is driving around your neighborhood casing houses? Because you see a someone riding a bike or driving a car you think he stole from your garage? Lots of reasons. Want your bike or your car back? How else is a cop supposed to determine it's yours if he doesn't stop the car or the person riding the bike?

I am smart enough, and pragmatic enough, to understand that there is no way for police to solve any large portion of committed crimes.

I see far more people calling police on bad suspicion than on any real, valid basis. like the friend who was taking pictures of houses to get ideas for a renovation. Stupid neighbors called the cops who tried to hassle him for taking the pictures from a public place of things visible to the public. He had to call for a supervisor to explain to the brain dead patrol officer that it's perfectly legal to take pictures in public. Or my colleague at work who is Black and married to a Filipina. Cops pulled him over in their Mercedes, and asked if he was a drug dealer and where did he "pick up the *****".

I called police when a neighbor was assaulted in front of our group of townhouses. Several others called as well. Cops never showed up. The Captain for the area gave a lame excuse about shift change. Dude, you had 5 calls to 911 about an assault, and no one showed up? There's no excuse.

I pay taxes that fund the police. I expect them to do their jobs in a professional manner, respect the Constitutional rights we all have in this country, and not to kill people simply because an officer is "scared". The police are employees, not our overseers. I respect them when they do their job well, and I've complimented HPD officers on a number of occasions(especially when we lived in a gentrifying part of town) for a job well done.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Yes, simply comply and often nothing but lost time is the result. If you are argumentative you are likely lying or have something to hide. That is very typical.
Remember, you are a threat, until otherwise considered not a threat. You should treat everyone similarly or you are asking to be taken advantage of.
Similarly, a cop should be considered a threat until he/she proves he/she is not. And for the same reason.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

Feel free.

Interesting how most of your responses didn't really respond to the points made by other posters.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:44 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Interesting how most of your responses didn't really respond to the points made by other posters.
Pot, meet kettle. What a post!

Principles don't like when people school them on topics of law they are unfamiliar with, even when they themselves asked the answered question. Former "Lords of the Castle" tend to act like that...

Just wanted to offer my observation about another profession....

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
[quote=WRM20;53078170]Former military actually make better cops from ecerything I've seen They are used to operating within certain rules of engagement, and are seldom trigger happy. If they've seen combat, they are more likely to clearly assess the situation before escalating the situation.

I think you are considering police work as a very similar type of employment as the soldier's, and most of the non military police disagree with that comparison. Knowing that many do in fact think of those two types of activity as something requiring the same attributes is somewhat frightening while also giving rise to the suspicions of those in the minority populace that the police are little more than an occupying force.

I don't think ex military personnel are especially "trigger happy," but moreover, they may be more than a tad bit confused with regard to the two distinctive types of training both jobs require. The issue that arises, and one that many have experienced is the fact of a huge conflict of response training differences.

Military training requires an offensive state of mind, while civilian training requires the opposite, a defensive response. The earlier military experience, coupled with the more tried and proven combat responses of "act now and judge later" decisions, cause real trouble for the recent vets on civilian police patrol. PTSD can rear up on occasion for the vet, further complicating the role of police when compared to that of a soldier. I didn't provide a link but there's no shortage of reading material on the subject.

Last edited by jertheber; 09-13-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Drawing from this thread anybody can say or do anything they want to a cop and anything that cop says or does in response is wrong

Old 09-13-2018, 09:30 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
No sir. We are American citizens. And whether you or they like it or not, we pay their salary. The legislators we elect write and enact the laws. So we have every right to judge. And actually, they do not have the right "to judge".
While I agree with your overall statement (and don't think anyone deserves a beating unless they're physically attacking the officer), just because our taxes dollars contribute to their salaries, that doesn't mean we get to make the rules. I'm a "public servant" myself, and the patrons can't tell us what to do! We still set our own rules and guidelines, and if you break them, we have every right to boot you from the library.

Of course, we still have to abide by federal and state laws in the process - for example, we can't set a policy against serving a protected class, or lay our hands on you unless maybe we're defending ourselves. But if anyone thinks they can boss us around just because "they pay our salary," they will learn quickly how untrue that is. And for the record, I highlighted that we/you merely contribute, because individual taxpayer money is only a small portion of our funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates