Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:29 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The only people who are anti-cop are those who want to break the law and get away with it. Illegal aliens, shoplifters, drunk drivers and child molesters all come to mind.

Life would be so much easier if you could do whatever you want and not face any consequences. Personal life experience.
Great post but you left out the obvious group, drug dealers. They are the ones who may well be providing some of the muscle behind BLM.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great post but you left out the obvious group, drug dealers. They are the ones who may well be providing some of the muscle behind BLM.
Yes, I later realized that was a major one I left out.

Also, I was shocked at the poster who mentioned that a cop requested to search their car. That is not a common request at all. Often, a cop will do that if they can smell the scent of illegal drugs coming from inside your car when you roll down the window. Not a good sign.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
If the officer has probable cause to believe you have drugs in the car, he can search the car.
Oh, they definitely suspected drugs were there, but the driver refused to allow them the search, they started intimidating, using threats of what they COULD DO if they wanted, etc...but after about 30 minutes, they let us go on our way, without ever searching.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Easier on both parties? If one party is the police and the other is the prosecutor.
Police are willing to be more lenient if you tell the truth up front.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Read the piece again. The guy with Tolan said the POLICE shined a flashlight and gun at himself and Tolan. There is disagreement as to whether Tolan was off the ground. He was upset that the Bellaire cop had slammed his mother against the wall when she came out to say that the cops had the wrong guy. Tolan was completely innocent of any wrongdoing and did not deserve to be shot, or placed on the ground.
While it was unfortunate, he was suspected of stealing a car, which as I stated, already had the officers on high alert. According to the police report, the way he got up quickly caused one of the officer to think he was armed. I should've qualified my original statement. Name a time where an officer shot someone that didn't had reasonable belief the person was armed.

Quote:
And it is my belief that most of the time, that probable cause is made up. I would personally never consent to a search.
Your opinion is just that, your opinion. Also, if officers have probable cause, you giving consent or not has no bearing on whether or not you get searched.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh, they definitely suspected drugs were there, but the driver refused to allow them the search, they started intimidating, using threats of what they COULD DO if they wanted, etc...but after about 30 minutes, they let us go on our way, without ever searching.
Without being there, I can only take your experience as an anecdote.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:14 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Police are their (sic) to protect and serve, and to enforce laws.
The first half is false. Police have zero obligation to protect the public. In a decision by the Supreme Court and in another by the District of Columbia - it was ruled that police have no obligation to protect the public. Period.

So in theory, when people crucify that resource officer or whomever it was that did not engage the shooter at Stoneman Douglas... he had no obligation to help. Of course, any one with common sense would then say "then why arm them with a firearm if they aren't obligated to help?"

We are not a protected class. However, police officers are. I could tell another private citizen to f*** off and they could attack me and I could fight back. The law might be fuzzy on provocation and all of that. But, if a police officer is involved, it is crystal clear. They can pretty much do whatever they want short of murder (or up to and including murder) and we have zero recourse.

Look at a cop funny and they can bust your teeth. Protect and serve is a nice bit of propaganda started by the LAPD in the 50s.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
There's no law anywhere in this country that allows a police officer to "bust your teeth" for looking at them funny. On the contrary, numerous laws say otherwise.

The court cases you mention determined that the police have no obligation to protect individuals. The role is to maintain public order. So it's not factual to say the police aren't required to protect the public. It's just that if they fail at protecting any particular individual, the department likely won't be liable absent specific facts.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Read the piece again. The guy with Tolan said the POLICE shined a flashlight and gun at himself and Tolan. There is disagreement as to whether Tolan was off the ground. He was upset that the Bellaire cop had slammed his mother against the wall when she came out to say that the cops had the wrong guy. Tolan was completely innocent of any wrongdoing and did not deserve to be shot, or placed on the ground.

And it is my belief that most of the time, that probable cause is made up. I would personally never consent to a search.
Pretty much any lawyer would advise someone to NEVER allow police to search, under any circumstances.

Coming from a life long friend that is an prosecutor, "Many people get themselves into trouble because they do not know or understand their rights when interacting with police".

Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 PM

301 posts, read 295,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
So yes, what you do or say to a cop DOES warrant a beat down because cops are not going to sit back and take that bullcrap from the scum of society who they have to look for, arrest, or capture every single day. I don't see anyone here patrolling soutside Chicago.

You are absolutely wrong. A cop has one of the most difficult jobs out there. When they are handling a situation they (may) have no idea if a person is a law abiding citizen or a felony murderer. They must be willing at any moment to make a split second decision whether to use force up to and including deadly force.

However, saying that what you do or say DOES warrant a beat down tells me lots about you.

A police officer must abide by the law and there is no law on the books saying if someone says something they don't like that they have the right to beat you down. Someone saying they were going to kill an officer could expect to be met with armed force proportional to what is deemed necessary to protect the lives of the officer and the innocent (and possibly) guilty people around them. That may in some situations require force to include physical force to include deadly force if they feel their lives or others are threatened. But simply saying whatever to a cop with your hands raised on your knees does not allow that officer to beat you. You might want to read up on the constitution and the rule of law here in the U.S. vs. Nazi Germany. Threatening a police officer or using other violent language or gestures completely entitles that person to being arrested. But does not give an officer free reign to take out their club and start playing whack a mole on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates