Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 12:52 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Do you really believe that people should be inconvenienced to that extent because a rogue cop wants to make up his own rules?
Well, your options are sometimes to be inconvenienced that way or be inconvenienced at the time you're stopped by going to jail. Which would you prefer?

I'm not saying there's not rogue cops out there. Myself, I'd do what they say (unless it involves taking my clothes off for a male cop) and pursue the legalities later. I figure if a cop is a rogue cop, then as part of the public it's my responsibility to inconvenience myself later on by going to court and getting him off the street as soon as possible.

Fight with that cop when you get stopped and who do you think is going to win? Not you.

Besides, if you take the cop to court when he's really done something he shouldn't, you might land a fairly large payday.

Quote:
As far as your abortion topic, it is not up to the cop to make a judgement on the issue of abortion or to even allow the actions of another to be shaded by his own opinion when it comes to enforcing the law. If the law allows verbal confrontations, even venomous, hateful, profane confrontations, that's what the cop must allow. If the law prohibits blocking one's free passage on a public sidewalk, that is what he must enforce and if the law bans even the slightest amount of physical contact between two people, the cop must be there to enforce the law, not his own beliefs.

Anyone who is unable to hold themselves to that standard has no business in the field of law enforcement and should have been educated in that on their first day in the police academy.
I agree completely. I merely wanted to point out that anyone, cop or the person detained, will have to make a judgment call on whether or not to disobey orders because of his beliefs. But there will be consequences for those judgment calls. Now in the case of civil disobedience, the immediate consequences was arrest and jail time. In the long run, the consequences were civil rights laws.

Was it worth it? My personal opinion is yes, it was.

Now, the civil disobedience shown by sovereign citizens also results in arrest and jail. The long term consequences so far look to be nil at best and silliness at worst. Will all that be worthwhile in the long run? My personal opinion is not at all. But many sovereign citizens would disagree with me and will continue carrying on as before. With the same short term consequences.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Standing up for something, or fighting for something like those people in the civil rights struggle is NEVER the popular or convenient thing to do, those people were hated and despised during those times, especially by police, they called them trouble makers and criminals, LOTS of americans were screaming for them to JUST OBEY AND COMPLY, and they wouldnt have any problems with police...

These people are celebrated and honored for what they did now, I think thats important to remember.

Being patriotic or fighting for something is never going to be popular or convenient.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But I agree with what you say about people who marched and practiced civil disobedience for civil rights.

Things is, in the beginning, everyone always believes they're on the right side, no matter what side that is.

"The might of God
Was on each side
But nothing came of nothing
And war was my bride"

Old 09-05-2018, 04:53 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind have any reason not to answer simple non-invasive questions by authorities? You just don't make sense. You ask for a supervisor to come to every stop you get. That just makes you stand there for a lot longer than you would have had to in the first place. Plus I wonder why are you are pulled over so often (as you said " Every time I've done that.."). How does an officer know you don't do drugs. That's why they ask questions. Is it safe for them to talk to you without weapons raised or are you
a suspect in an amber alert, or escaped from prison? They deal with this type of danger every day. They won't know until they talk to you and ask questions.
It makes my blood boil and makes me laugh at the same time to watch people like you being stopped by police and resisting while invoking some deviation of the constitution and your misguided claims to be within your rights. Now when you call the cops to help you when you are in danger, why would they cooperate with you after your behavior?
If you treat others like an ignoramus that's what you will get back.
I don't ask for a supervisor at every encounter with a police officer. I never said that. I said that every time I've asked for a supervisor, he(and they were all male) agreed with me, and counseled the officer on what the law is, and the responsibilities of police in that situation.

I seldom get pulled over, it's probably been 10+ years since that happened. I've dealt with officers refusing to handle situations in my neighborhood, like idling semis in a no parking zone, drug dealers and prostitutes when we lived in a gentrifying part of town, etc. Those situations were the most common reasons for requesting a supervisor.

Police can ask questions. I can refuse to answer them. My refusal in no way, shape, or form gives them any reasonable suspicion or probable cause to get mad at me or arrest me. Where I've been and where I'm going are simply none of their business. I don't show ID either, unless I am driving a motor vehicle. There's no reason to show a cop my Texas DL if I am not operating a motor vehicle, since it's not required by law. I do not have to give my name unless I am actually arrested. It is a crime to give a false name, but not to refuse to give a name when not under arrest. Feel free to do whatever you want, but I am not going to quiver in fear just because an officer asks me a question.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind have any reason not to answer simple non-invasive questions by authorities?
Because the questions arent simple and non-evasive. The questions are asked to encourage you to say something they can use to arrest you, theyre not just making conversation. This is what minorities or anyone that is in or near a bad/metro area deals with. So unless you live in mayberry and know all the cops, they ask you things to trip you up to warrant taking you in, they get points for that. Even other cops would tell you not to talk to cops. If you get cops telling you to answer any cops questions, they are trying to help you get arrested to help the other cop. They have to make a certain amount of arrests. Its perfectly legal to not answer any questions or ask for a supervisor, its called the pleading the 5th. You also have to understand that not all police departments are created equal. Not all departments will be as nice to people as your local one is to you. So dont paint them with a broad brush of niceness.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
What are these “points”, what are they worth, and where can I get some? I’ve been missing out apparently!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Cops ask you questions to see how you answer and how nervous you are. Talking a mile a minute may mean you're under the influence of something. Contradicting yourself may mean you're lying. If you and your friend are being questioned, then your stories need to match up.

The cops aren't out to find something to arrest you for. They don't have to. Most people who are stopped, who lie to the police, and act hostile are generally hiding something. If they don't have something in their car to be arrested for, then they get themselves arrested with their big mouths.

You know, when we talk about race and profiling, we don't talk about how people look the way they act. When I was working grave, I didn't pay attention to race. I looked at how a person was acting. There's a certain pattern people follow when all they're doing is coming into a store and buying something. When that pattern isn't there, then I get suspicious.

Same with cops. People who don't have illegal drugs in their car, who aren't doing anything wrong, who don't have a reason to lie to the police, show a certain pattern. Cops can see this pattern and see when it's missing. It doesn't matter what race you are, what gender you are, what age you are. You break the pattern, you get questioned. Period.

First thing about being pulled over - you get asked for your license, your insurance, and your registration. Now even I know that not everything is as happy as they show on Live PD, but let's face it, how many times do you see the person who is pulled over on that show and has those three things with him?

The fact is, sometimes how you drive, the make and model of your car, and just where you are may feel wrong to a cop. You're breaking pattern. So he's not going to pull you over for that left turn signal you didn't do or the brake light that's missing. He's going to pull you over using that as an excuse so he can talk to you and see what's going on.

That's what happened when I was pulled over, because driving a 14 year old, dented up truck through a rich town where the average car is a Jag or a Maserati is suspicious. I was on my way to work, show the license, the registration, and the insurance, and five minutes later I'm on my way.

Sometimes the only way you catch kidnappers, crooks, violent criminals, rapists, etc, is to stop them and check them out. You can't complain about the police not doing their job in one breath and then complain about the best and sometimes the only way to do that job in your next.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. But I agree with what you say about people who marched and practiced civil disobedience for civil rights.
If world history is any indicator, future generations will be honoring and celebrating some people/groups that are viewed as troublemakers, criminals, etc right now in our time!!

Although I do admit its probably next to impossible to guess who or what groups that may be, I really doubt back in the 1950s and 60s, all the people involved in the civil rights struggle, would have ever believed a day would come when they were so honored and celebrated.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:27 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/us/da...ing/index.html

Summary: Cop enters "her" apartment...doesn't realize she's entered the wrong apartment...and shoots the rightful occupant to death.

And guess what...the dead man is Black!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:27 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If a cop gives a lawful order then must comply, failure to do so results in an arrest and charge of "failure to obey a police officer" and "obstructing a police officer." You can hate cops all you want, but it's best not to be ignorant of the videos you are watching and what gives cops the 100% right to arrest/take you down.

America's cops are low paid and they deal with low life scum all day. They're not interested in arguing with you, they're just going to arrest you and I support that 100%.

The pure disrespect that citizens have for cops only justifies their actions even more. They are serving their community and we in turn treat them like pure crap. Unless you plan to be a cop, you have no room to judge.

So yes, what you do or say to a cop DOES warrant a beat down because cops are not going to sit back and take that bullcrap from the scum of society who they have to look for, arrest, or capture every single day. I don't see anyone here patrolling soutside Chicago.
So arrest = beat down to you? Interesting.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
So arrest = beat down to you? Interesting.
You ignored most of his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates