Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM

276 posts, read 204,344 times

Advertisements

Supposedly some studies say the brain does not reach peak development until around the age of 25 and yet other studies say that the brain reaches its prime at the age of 20 and from there its all downhill. Im wondering which one is correct, or if both or neither are correct in some ways. As for me, I think it all depends on how you use your brain although this is an interesting topic of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 05:20 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
What makes you think after hitting the peak means growth stops?

Old 03-23-2019, 02:40 PM

Because the peak is exactly that, the peak, the point in which there is no further growth. You are at your best and will not get any better.

Anyway as far as the brain not being fully functional until a person is about 25, as somebody with a background in Psychology I will say that's a bunch of malarkey.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:46 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
It has been (most) recently studied, that the brain does not reach its' peak until the age of 30. .
Just ask Google, it's been all over the News the past week or so.

Are you thinking of when the plates of the skull begin to completely fuse? That is around 22-25 years old

And I don't think "peak," neccessarily can be used to describe "everything goes downhill from there."
Perhaps it just means it never goes further up, but rather, can lay at that plateau for years to come, before any deterioration begins to occur. As long as you keep using your brain, I think you can keep filling it with knowledge, and new synapse gaps too. (putting aside genetics)

I also believe adult hood, etc...is different for each individual. Kind of like, one drug works for Ms. A, but doesn't work as well for Ms. B. We are all individual. We are all very similar, but chemically different.

And that is the beauty of being alive, imho.

Last edited by TerraDown; 03-23-2019 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 PM

You can't always trust the news and you can't always trust Google or everything you find on the internet. That's basic and if you've got a good functioning brain in terms of judgement and decision making than you would know that.

And supposedly there are some studies that have shown that certain areas of the brain do go downhill after a person reaches the age of 20 although Im not necessarily believing such studies Im just taking them into consideration. After all, the disease Alzheimers which does away with memory and brain function usually only affects old people, people in their 70s or so, but its been known to affect younger people. There have been people in their 30s or even their 20s who have been diagnosed with Alzheimers.

And even if there are some studies that show the brain doesn't peak until the age of 30 I would not take such studies as being scribed in stone. I would say it depends on how you use your brain much more than how long you've had it. If a person pushes themselves Im sure they can reach their peak much earlier than 30, or at least have their brain functioning as well as the average 30 year old before they turn 30.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I was told by a Psychology Dr. the brain is still developing until sometime in the 22-28 age range depending on the person. That does not mean it is not fully functional before then, it just means development is not complete. It is still changing. My understanding is they do not really know what actually happens during this final development, just that it is continuing. For this reason, many in the psychology field advocate for an age limit for using pot of 25. Apparently pot can impair the development of your brain.

Of course in three more years they will say pot enhances brain development and the brain is fully developed at age 13 (or 33). They do not seem to know a whole lot about brains.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 PM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Supposedly some studies say the brain does not reach peak development until around the age of 25 and yet other studies say that the brain reaches its prime at the age of 20 and from there its all downhill. Im wondering which one is correct, or if both or neither are correct in some ways. As for me, I think it all depends on how you use your brain although this is an interesting topic of discussion.

Age 12....

Age 30

It depends. Usually people stop caring after the money and sex starts flowing like water. That is why you have so much stupid things being made

Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
If you know people around the age of 20, you could probably assert that brain development is not complete at that age. Not being complete does not mean that the brain is non-functional, though. It just means that the frontal cortex, the part that is used to make decisions, is not done developing. It's why young people tend to take risks that older people don't. It's not a set age, though; everyone is different.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Are you referring to the brain, as organ, growth and development or to mind/mental capacities development?

As Morpheus said, do you really believe, you think with your brain? Hmmmm....

Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Are you referring to the brain, as organ, growth and development or to mind/mental capacities development?

As Morpheus said, do you really believe, you think with your brain? Hmmmm....
ii have somesad news for you.

Morpheus was a fictional character. He does not and never did exist. He was portrayed by an actor who actually knows next to nothing about brains or science. Everything he said was made up for entertainment value only. Sorry to break this troubling news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates