Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

No. In fact I am not happy with them checking social media either. That should be considered an invasion of privacy.

One's personal opinions should have NO bearing on a job. Only their actions within that job should matter.

Further, bias against American blacks does exist, has been far worse in the past, but is generally down to isolated incidents in our modern time. Most black men and women who are willing to do the work and act in a respectable way get by just fine. It's all in how you sell yourself. Chains, poor English, and low pants don't win good jobs. Not even when white idiots do it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 11:11 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
But that is part of their social life, peoples jobs or careers are NOT their LIVES, and should never be that way.

Its so interesting to me, if you ask 10 people the simple question "what do you do, or Who are you"...Id bet 10 people would start describing their jobs/careers!! LOL

When I had my first appt with my current doctor (years ago) he asked me the same question, and naturally I started telling him about my job, he stopped me and said NO, I didnt ask about your job, I asked 'What you do'...this was probably the first time I recognized how prevalent this mentality is today and how ignorant it really is. Our jobs/careers are a very small part of our lives, most spend only 40-50 hours there a week, it should not be linked so closely with ones social or personal life. So I would say NO, to employers looking at someones social media accounts, its none of their business, its not part of their job/career.
Agreed.

I feel as though it is just another way to "own" somebody if they work for you. A person's hobbies, opinions, and interactions on a website, on their FREE time, is a matter of no consequence to a company. It's a deplorable invasion of privacy and a stomping out of agency.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 AM

8 posts, read 3,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
By today's standard; most jobs and career fields check your credit report, psychological capacities, cognizance, and social media (friends, family, intimate circles) before offer letters meet the table.

Shouldn't we check the ethics (racial) biases and beliefs of politicians, policemen, reporters, owners of teams and networks before affording either position(s)or ownerahip?

Especially as agencies and studies prove white supremacy (Dependency) and Imperialist have infiltrated police departments as well various positions of authority.

This could prove beneficial for (the) indigenous blacks of America.

Any thoughts?
Politicians are a different spectrum all together (compared to policeman, reporters, owners of teams and networks, etc).

Politicians are not "hired" they are voted in by the people. It's the people's will that votes in a politician and many voters seem not to care if the person they are voting in have the qualifications, aptitude, moral or ethical values we hold others to. For example, there was a city that voted in a Mayor who had a crack cocaine habit, purchased prostitutes and served time in prison. He was the Mayor when he was arrested. After serving his prison term, he ran again and won with large numbers. If he had been working in any of the fields you described (police officer, reporter, owner of team, network, etc), he would be held to a higher standard, barred and fired from his profession.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:27 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
But that is part of their social life, peoples jobs or careers are NOT their LIVES, and should never be that way.

Its so interesting to me, if you ask 10 people the simple question "what do you do, or Who are you"...Id bet 10 people would start describing their jobs/careers!! LOL

When I had my first appt with my current doctor (years ago) he asked me the same question, and naturally I started telling him about my job, he stopped me and said NO, I didnt ask about your job, I asked 'What you do'...this was probably the first time I recognized how prevalent this mentality is today and how ignorant it really is. Our jobs/careers are a very small part of our lives, most spend only 40-50 hours there a week, it should not be linked so closely with ones social or personal life. So I would say NO, to employers looking at someones social media accounts, its none of their business, its not part of their job/career.
I understand your point. But when a person puts themselves out there PUBLICLY, that's different than what they do in private.

At most we spend only 40-50 hours per week at work? Add in transportation, and that's almost half our waking hours.

I have to admit that now I tend to look at this from a management perspective. But my job in management is to make the organization operate at peak efficiency. If public relations is going to constantly be in disarray putting out fires caused by racists who are interacting with clients/customers...then that's something I will be spending a great deal of time on.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I understand your point. But when a person puts themselves out there PUBLICLY, that's different than what they do in private.

At most we spend only 40-50 hours per week at work? Add in transportation, and that's almost half our waking hours.

I have to admit that now I tend to look at this from a management perspective. But my job in management is to make the organization operate at peak efficiency. If public relations is going to constantly be in disarray putting out fires caused by racists who are interacting with clients/customers...then that's something I will be spending a great deal of time on.
Well, if someone was a racist or homophobe or whatever in their personal lives...when they were 'on the clock' at work, thats their work time, so I dont think they should be letting their personal opinions factor into how they perform their jobs or how they treat customers.

When i managed a pizza place years ago, my district mgr was VERY racist, he had been raised this way by his parents, and when we would talk casually, he was not shy about admitting his beliefs, but I noticed, when he was working, or dealing with customers, he didnt allow his racism to impact his job, not at all. I assumed majority of people were like this.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Well, if someone was a racist or homophobe or whatever in their personal lives...when they were 'on the clock' at work, thats their work time, so I dont think they should be letting their personal opinions factor into how they perform their jobs or how they treat customers.

When i managed a pizza place years ago, my district mgr was VERY racist, he had been raised this way by his parents, and when we would talk casually, he was not shy about admitting his beliefs, but I noticed, when he was working, or dealing with customers, he didnt allow his racism to impact his job, not at all. I assumed majority of people were like this.
Don't assume that.

What about the school secretary who would be up from her desk in a flash to help white parents, but would take her lazy old time if the parent was a minority?
What about the teacher who calls the parents of white kids who are failing to get them to stay after school for extra help, but doesn't call the parents of Black kids because, "You know how they are"?
What about the school that never recommends a minority student for placement in the gifted program?
What about the principal who never seriously considers hiring a minority candidate?
What about the principal who doesn't believe that women should be in school administration? (Not racial, but hey, guess what, no minority teachers or admins hired by them, either)
What about the grocery store cashier who is curt and mildly rude to only Black customers.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:48 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
By today's standard; most jobs and career fields check your credit report, psychological capacities, cognizance, and social media (friends, family, intimate circles) before offer letters meet the table.

Shouldn't we check the ethics (racial) biases and beliefs of politicians, policemen, reporters, owners of teams and networks before affording either position(s)or ownerahip?

Especially as agencies and studies prove white supremacy (Dependency) and Imperialist have infiltrated police departments as well various positions of authority.

Any thoughts?
If this was applied evenly handedly (it wouldnt be), and done by looking into social media, it would impact with those anti white views at a much higher rate, as anti white views are currently viewed as being OK. The anti non white types certianly do not wear it on their sleeves as openly in modern America.

That said I think this happens already to some degree. If HR looks at somebody's social media that has applied for work, and sees a swastika and links to Stormfront, they dont get the job.

I dont like the idea of a person applying subjective criteria to a persons beliefs, especially over a cursory look on social media.

Politicians? Sure, scrutinize them.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Everyone can have their background background, or credit score looked into, but there is plenty of people that don't have social media, and just because you're a racist, and have a social media account doesn't mean they're broadcasting it for everyone to hear.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
I have not seen any data that shows the majority of employers check all these things. I can tell you that most city and state gov't agencies in Texas do not check these items.

Quote:
What about other biases? Bias against people from a particular state or city, bias against people who drive Priuses or Corvettes; bias against people who went to a particular university; bias against people who do not recycle or support reproductive choice, etc.

Quote:
Dependency on what/who?
What Imperialism are you referring to? You know that word applies to countries and not bureaucracies?

Quote:
I'm guessing only one group is indigenous and that is not the one.

Now for some levity with "Larry David - Hires Bald Chief"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0qhhIxrQY

Old 05-23-2019, 04:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
Social media is becoming more prevalent. I know that as a federal employee, my social media accounts are reviewed as part of my security clearance. I know of one person who was denied federal employment due to having links to terrorist organizations on their social media. This person was born and raised in the U.S. and liked the videos due to the gruesome content. (Think a huge faces of death fan). Didn't matter, during their probationary period they were removed.

There as a story recently about a teacher that was fired because she had pictures on social media of her at a legal MJ farm. There have been other stories about people terminated because they called in sick and then posted pictures on social media showing them on vacation.

Right now, our culture is at a cross roads. It used to be that uneducated, bigoted people could just stay under the radar. Now with cell phones, people are recorded all the time and that video gets shared around the world in hours. One incident could haunt someone for the rest of their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates