Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,080,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Is it reparations just for slavery? Or is it also reparations for the oppression, housing segregation, poor schools, substandard medical care, etc., since then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The minorities do deserve reparations in my opinion, especially when you consider the drug laws were first created, as a TOOL OF RACISM!!! LOL Cmon, thats pretty bad!!

As far as reparations for slavery go, why not take the money from companies or industries that benefited or gained in some way, by the use of slavery in the past? There are still plenty of both still around today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The case for reparations died with a last emancipated slave. Anything today is nothing more than pandering and rubbing salt in old wounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If we can get back to the debate there are many questions that need to be answered.

1 Who gets the reparations and how do we determine who the descendants of actual slaves were? There were many black people that lived in the North as free people. They might not have had the Rights of white men but they were not property.

2 Who pays for the reparations? My family never owned slaves. My wife immigrated to America in the 80's. Our tax money should not be used and actually anyone who's family arrived in America after 1865 should not be forced to pay.

3 Who will determine who gets paid and who doesn't? No doubt if this goes through there will be yet another Gov. department setup at great cost to the taxpayers and what happens when someone is denied? Will they be able to appeal or sue? What a mess.

4 If reparations passes and all black people get a payout regardless of their heritage or possibly mixed ancestry will it finally be enough to appease the people that suffer from "white guilt" and will the payout be enough to finally get so many black people off the broken record of poverty and crime?

There are so many issues with reparations that it cannot possibly happen unless it is just a giant blanket payout to all minorities regardless of their ancestry but will they ever really be content with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Let's just say that it's all worked out. Reparations are paid in a decent amount, to the right people.

What happens to the next generation? Because the cycle never stops.
I think this is all stuff a committee would have to figure out. If they even form one. The more questions they have the more of a need for a committee.

I think many of the reasons and a few more are why I don't agree in paying people, but more of an atonement to remember and to progress from. NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME IS, not everyone will be happy. There probably isn't even an answer that would make the majority (of all people) happy. I think there are some black people who would be happy with a sincere apology, and some who could get a million dollars and still complain, (because they are going to no matter what. (That's not a racist comment because I believe there are people like that of every race if it were a similar situation, but this comment is about black people)).

I am completely against it for personal compensation, but I would like this to go through a political process to better understand it overall, and to at least begin an honest acknowledgement.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,087,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
This is the ignorant, trash comment I wanted to keep out of this (and every) thread.

If you two wanted to get anal about it, bananas can be political.

Not sure if you two think you are being clever or trying to argue semantics. You're clearly not trying to work WITH, what I think you know are my intentions. How's this, If any comment involves the word Republican or Democrat, or any variation of either, then keep it out of the thread.
So if I said "people who don't support reperations are disgusting racists" that would not be political but if I said "I think the Democrats are misguided on this issue" that would be political? Because it's the mentioning political parties that makes it political not the actual intent of the statement?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,216,617 times
Default Oft Repeated Post

Reparations have been argued ad infinitum on this forum. Congress just should read our posts. Instead they will, if history serves me, form a blue ribbon committee to study how much of our tax dollars should be redistributed to the undeserving by the unwilling.

What about this post:

"Don"t forget the irish Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
That comes to approximately several 100 thousand dollars per household. Good luck trying to convince Americans to accept that proposal!

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...ns-for-slavery

Don't forget all those immigrant nationalities that were universally discriminated against, the Chinese, Irish, Germans, Swedish, Jews, etc,, and religious groups too. Let's all queue up.

Irish lives matter." Actually, the Irish were enslaved by the Brits and transported long before Africans

Last edited by Mistermobile; 06-20-2019 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Emphasis

Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 AM

15,870 posts, read 6,569,892 times
In my mind the reparations were already paid for heavily in blood and gold during the American Civil War. That was the largest loss of American lives in any conflict we've fought, and it's got to factor into any decision. It would be better for society to spend that money on improving grade school instruction in low income districts.

I personally am going to be offended by having my tax money go to reparations, as I'm an immigrant and my family played no part in the slavery activities. Nor is there a need to apologize to the distant descendants of slaves on my behalf. We're all descended from slaves and kings.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:52 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,087,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

I am completely against it for personal compensation, but I would like this to go through a political process to better understand it overall, and to at least begin an honest acknowledgement.
If you read the Ta Nehisi Coates article that lead to this movement in the Democratic Party I think you will find that this is closer to the intent of these hearings, to understand and try to come up with solutions to the problems caused by racist laws over the course of generations. (not just slavery)

Old 06-20-2019, 09:52 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,230,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I did not realize there were still housing, schools, and medical clinics that were black people only. Where is this?
Pretty much everywhere there are black people. Where do you live that blacks and whites aren’t mostly segregated?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,080,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
So if I said "people who don't support reperations are disgusting racists" that would not be political but if I said "I think the Democrats are misguided on this issue" that would be political? Because it's the mentioning political parties that makes it political not the actual intent of the statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
If you read the Ta Nehisi Coates article that lead to this movement in the Democratic Party I think you will find that this is closer to the intent of these hearings, to understand and try to come up with solutions to the problems caused by racist laws over the course of generations. (not just slavery)
Now you're just trying to be a jackass.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:17 AM

26 posts, read 11,977 times
I like the OP's idea of a memorial of sorts to pay homage to the folks who managed to survive in the harshest of circumstances. It's an unfortunate stain upon humanity. Not to mention the atrocities that also happened to Native Americans as well.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
As a skeptical old white guy myself, I say we need to keep an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
And we've been paying for it ever since! Trust us.. if we could go back in time to when America was being settled and kick the first englishman in the cohones that suggested the slave trade in the new world we would.

At a certain point we have to move on... 150 years later #nomoreexcuses
So, no "liberty and justice" for blacks.

It's all OK now because slavery ended, followed by Jim Crow, lynchings, voter suppression, etc for the following 100+ years.

According to those who don't want to think about it.

The reality is that America benefited from slavery. Those slaves eventually became Americans, but long after they did, they still weren't able to participate in America's prosperity and were openly prevented in many cases.

Reparations of some sort are not out of line to help right that long-lived wrong.

Let's hear the proposals.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:50 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,310,051 times
As a black person whose family spans several generations in this country going back to the 1700'according to my DNA test....sure, I would love the cash, but I won't hold my breath.

But here's a couple of interesting points I would make that for sure would **** many other black folks off...
1)This would only apply to AMERICAN blacks whose family was actually slaves in THIS country. Non of these Johnny come latelys from Africa or these Carribean countries like Jamaica or Haiti should get a DIME. And those groups make up quite a bit of the black population thats currently in the USA. Especially in Florida, NY and New Jersey

2) If we wanna keep it it real, no amount will be considered enough. Alot of black people in the country are dirt poor and unforunately, are not even really trying to get better. If you gave reparations to the tune of lets say 100K a piece, probably 75% of the people that were irresponsible in their lives to begin with, would blow the money in a year and a half, and then cry about how they go unfairly taxed and it was nearly enough for what the ancestors went through and blah blah blah. I've seen no less than 4 black family members/friends come across amounts of 60 to 150K from insurance/ accidents, ect....and after a year, not one of them had anything left. In fact, on person found themselves 50 grand in the hole.

So I wouldn't mind seeing it for personal reasons, just to kill the debate. At least at that point , some of the excuses would be gone for not having anything, and the finger for failure can be pointed back in the direction of the person who blew thei windfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates