Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:01 PM

447 posts, read 208,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Sadly the talk of reparations is all about politics. The Dems are for it and they will no doubt pass something and when it gets to the Senate the evil racist old white guy Republicans will deny it thus proving that they are a bunch of evil racist old white guys that don't care about black people and this will all happen just in time for the 2020 elections.

It really is shocking how low the Dems will sink and pander to get votes.

As for reparations as an idea I am all for it IF there are any actual slaves still alive I would say lets force the family that owned him to pay out 1 million dollars and in a Rose garden ceremony President Trump will offer a heartfelt apology...

I am with you OP in asking how will we figure out who are descendants of actual slaves and then how much should they be given? How much money will it take to appease the descendants of slaves, $1000, $10,000 how about they don't pay any Federal taxes for a year or 2 or 5?

It seems that we have already paid out to black people with programs such as Affirmative Action, social and welfare safety nets and all sorts of other programs that are designed to give them a leg up into general society.

What happens the day after they get their reparations? Will we see reductions in black crime, black on black shootings? Will incarceration rates go down as college enrollments go up? Will those that suffer from the "white guilt" finally be able to get on with their lives?

There are so many questions that are impossible to answer yet the Dems are willing to chase this because they can't help but pander...
You are making a STRONG assumption that he actually has one.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,229,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Black people are free to attend the same school, go to the same medical clinic, living in the same neighborhoods as white people. I grew up myself in an inner city and went to a mostly black school. I now live in an area that is mostly white in a remote area in the ozarks. You rarely see black people live in remote areas where they have to do a lot for themselves. Wonder why?
Yet blacks continue to live in crummy neighborhoods with no amenities, send their kids to bad schools, get substandard healthcare, and die disproportionately from common conditions (such as childbirth) because ... why?

There used to be a lot of black farmers, almost a million in 1920. Now there are only 45,000. They were driven out of business and lost their farms because of institutional discrimination -- the FHA and banks refused to lend to them and buyers paid them less for their crops than white farmers. The founder of the NBFA had to send his crops to market with his white father-in-law to get a fair price.

Quote:
National Black Farmers Association
Many black farmers across the nation experienced discrimination in their dealings with U.S. Department of Agriculture agencies in their states. Across the nation, black farmers alleged, and the USDA later agreed, they were denied access to loans and subsidies provided by the government. On a national level, farm subsidies that were afforded to white farmers were not afforded to black farmers. Since they were denied government loans, emergency or disaster assistance, and other aid, many black farmers lost their farms and their homes.

Black farmers nationwide joined in a class action discrimination suit against the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). In Pigford v. Glickman U.S. Federal District Court Judge Paul L. Friedman approved the settlement agreement and consent decree in the case on April 14, 1999. The settlement recognized discrimination against 22,363 black farmers but the NBFA would later call the agreement incomplete because more than 70,000 were excluded. Nevertheless, the settlement was deemed to be the largest-ever civil rights class action settlement in American history. Lawyers estimated the value of the settlement to be more than $2 billion.
You might also read up on 40 acres and a mule.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:33 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,656,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Yet blacks continue to live in crummy neighborhoods with no amenities, send their kids to bad schools, get substandard healthcare, and die disproportionately from common conditions (such as childbirth) because ... why?

There used to be a lot of black farmers, almost a million in 1920. Now there are only 45,000. They were driven out of business and lost their farms because of institutional discrimination -- the FHA and banks refused to lend to them and buyers paid them less for their crops than white farmers. The founder of the NBFA had to send his crops to market with his white father-in-law to get a fair price.

You might also read up on 40 acres and a mule.

Can we refer to the black people of today? Nothing is holding back black people today but themselves.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 PM

3,789 posts, read 5,337,189 times
The reparation that I would support is a free, one-way ticket back to Africa.

If the crime was bringing them here against their will, then taking them back should solve it, eh? They can go to Liberia, which was formed by freed slaves who went back to Africa. That bit of paradise awaits those demanding reparations.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
The reparation that I would support is a free, one-way ticket back to Africa.

If the crime was bringing them here against their will, then taking them back should solve it, eh? They can go to Liberia, which was formed by freed slaves who went back to Africa. That bit of paradise awaits those demanding reparations.
Back to Africa? They were born here as American citizens.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:16 PM

3,789 posts, read 5,337,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Back to Africa? They were born here as American citizens.
But against their will, correct?

Name one African American alive today who is still a slave.

Any African American (notice the order of identity?) who wants reparation should get a free ticket back to Africa. Liberia, that land of milk and honey, with the highest living standards in the world, awaits them!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:50 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
But against their will, correct?

Name one African American alive today who is still a slave.

Any African American (notice the order of identity?) who wants reparation should get a free ticket back to Africa. Liberia, that land of milk and honey, with the highest living standards in the world, awaits them!

So, you don't see African-Americans as Americans.

You're not alone in that.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 PM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
This is misguided on many levels, some of which is touched on in the OP.

Most importantly, though, there is nobody alive who was a victim of chattel slavery (legally) in this country, and no one alive who lawfully had slaves. Thus, it is a big much in my view to ask for people who had zero to do with slavery to pay others who were never slaves.

As for the issue of not all blacks being the descendants of slaves, this wouldn't be to difficult to address via genealogical research, though it still wouldn't make me any more likely to support reparations for slavery.

If anything, there is a much stronger argument for reparations for the victims of legalized discrimination/violence/etc. via Jim Crow. There are still millions of Americans who lived through Jim Crow. This is something I could get behind.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

If anything, there is a much stronger argument for reparations for the victims of legalized discrimination/violence/etc. via Jim Crow. There are still millions of Americans who lived through Jim Crow. This is something I could get behind.
Exactly. No one I know of is asking for cash compensation for the descendants of slaves. But we do need to compensate the black community for more recent abuse, such as their inability to own homes and build generational wealth because of redlining, predatory lending, and exclusionary zoning (the deed restrictions for my house in Austin, built in 1942, specifically say that the house cannot be owned or lived in by a colored person except a servant). And for forcing them to live in decaying neighborhoods with poor schools. And Jim Crow. And the school-to-prison pipeline and our slanted criminal justice system. This is not a level playing field.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Can we refer to the black people of today? Nothing is holding back black people today but themselves.
Black people of today? The lawsuit against the USDA was first settled in 1999. A second wave of litigation was settled in 2010 for $1.2 billion, with payout takng until 2013. That’s not recent enough for you?

Since those settlements, the number of black, Native American, and woman farmers has been steadily increasing now that they have access to the same financing and services as white men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates