Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:01 AM

9,433 posts, read 11,191,727 times

Advertisements

Obama had the House and the Senate for two years, 2009 to 2011. Nobody gave a hoot.

This is election-year stirring of the pot. The economy is hot, industry that was gone forever is returning, we have a leader who stands up for our nation. Where do you get issues? You go back to the guilt well.

With black unemployment at its lowest point in history, there's probably some fear that the black vote could shift. It wouldn't be the first time. It happened in the '30s and the '60s.

Offering something for nothing is a sure way to get votes from some people, black, white, red, green, or purple.

The movement will go nowhere, but its use as an emotional grabber is there.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...y-in-the-1960s

Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 AM

286 posts, read 211,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Are you really saying that they should basically be thankful for slavery, because torture is at least an option when the other was death?
I thought I made it pretty clear that the actual slaves had to be compensated, but their descendants didn't experience any torture and instead benefited from the slavery since they are now living in much better conditions comparing if they were living in Africa.
Not only that, but Affirmative Actions for 70 years (and no end in sight) should be enough to put all the reparations talks to rest forever.
But someone wants to stir the pot. Ye, right. Let's not be political. But how can this be not political when it all happening because one party is bent on dividing americans into various groups by race, class, sex, you name it. And it is always victims and oppressors for them and always some kind of demands for the 'oppressors' to give something to 'victims'.

Last edited by Banbuk77; 06-20-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
Reparations to whom? I would support reparations to Native Americans, particularly by returning public lands to the tribes.

The US had reparations to slaves until Andrew Johnson canceled them. Sherman's "40 acres and a mule" was an excellent reparation. We lost the opportunity 150 years ago.

Minorities are rapidly becoming majorities. Native Americans are classified by pedigree, so their numbers are falling, but "black" citizens are multiplying because of the "One Drop" rule that has been in place for over a century. If you are not familiar, degree of blackness goes: mulatto, quadroon, octaroon, high yellow. Even if you are only 1/16 black, you are still black. Obama is black. Kamala Harris is black.

At this point in American history, we can wait until intermarriage takes care of the problem. I have "black" cousins, who are members of the middle class. There's a Civil LPE, a physicist, and a physician so far. Their father is a mid-level business executive who married into a high expectation family with the resources to launch them on their careers. Dad is not 100% African, and the kids are fractionally African, but society pigeonholes them as "black." The good old "One Drop" apartheid rule makes them colored.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,087,078 times
Quote:
Now you're just trying to be a jackass.
No. I just disagree with you. About this topic, about what what is political, probably about most things.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:57 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,283,554 times
Nah, it's 2019 so it's purely a money grab. Better to just coach people to fall down and injure themselves on somebody else's property so they can sue.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,080,913 times
Quote:
Are you really saying that they should basically be thankful for slavery, because torture is at least an option when the other was death?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
I thought I made it pretty clear that the actual slaves had to be compensated, but their descendants didn't experience any torture and instead benefited from the slavery since they are now living in much better conditions comparing if they were living in Africa.
Not only that, but Affirmative Actions for 70 years (and no end in sight) should be enough to put all the reparations talks to rest forever.

First, Lets just go ahead and cut out the rest of the blaming on politics and the other side you are doing. Lets talk about YOUR answer.

So what's the difference in what you are saying, that they "benefited" from "affirmative action", and what job experience? Sooo, in your mind, once the last slave was lynched, the problem was solved?

Old 06-20-2019, 03:05 PM

286 posts, read 211,594 times
Quote:
First, Lets just go ahead and cut out the rest of the blaming on politics and the other side you are doing. Lets talk about YOUR answer.

So what's the difference in what you are saying, that they "benefited" from "affirmative action", and what job experience? Sooo, in your mind, once the last slave was lynched, the problem was solved?
I am sorry, but what exactly are you trying to say? I have a feeling you have nothing to contradict what I said and trying to twist my words.

Do you agree that an average black person currently living in the USA lives in far better condition than an average black person living in Africa. Yes or No?

No the problem was not solved after the last lynching. That is what affirmative actions have been doing for 70 years and will be doing for another 100 years or more. If that is not enough for you, then list the demands you think would right all the wrongs.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM

19,833 posts, read 9,398,479 times
I would be in favor of returning the Black Hills of South Dakota to the American Indians and other areas of land as well.

Other than that, I am not in favor of reparations to any group. The taxpayers have already spent hundreds of billions of dollars on trying to improve the situation for blacks; and if they haven't succeeded in improving their status, I think the reasons for this go way beyond the fact that some of their great-great-grandparents were probably slaves, just like Appalachian poor whites can't blame the fact that their great-great-grandparents were "hillbillies" -- not in 2019. (Btw, I don't mean to be disrespectful because of course I believe that slavery was both evil and shameful and because some of my ancestors were "poor white", too, although as far as I know, none of them owned any slaves.)

https://nationalpolicy.institute/200...-of-diversity/

Old 06-20-2019, 03:43 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,657,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Pretty much everywhere there are black people. Where do you live that blacks and whites aren’t mostly segregated?

Black people are free to attend the same school, go to the same medical clinic, living in the same neighborhoods as white people. I grew up myself in an inner city and went to a mostly black school. I now live in an area that is mostly white in a remote area in the ozarks. You rarely see black people live in remote areas where they have to do a lot for themselves. Wonder why?

Old 06-20-2019, 03:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,194,970 times
Reparations for slavery? If slavery had ended in the past few decades, I could see the point. But everyone involved in slavery is long deceased, and people of today shouldn't have to pay for things that they had no involvement in.

I think that we, as a society, should focus on ending current atrocities and problems of the modern world. Not to mention, it would take a lot of effort and time to determine who gets what reparations and who pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates