Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Many rescue animals. In that respect, they don't choose the animal, altho they choose whether to save it.

Most of my dogs have been rescues. And a couple of cats. I have one living dog who I rescued on the street as a pup. When she goes, I'll take a breather from pets, then get another dog or two. Rescues.
Some of us dont choose our pets, we get chosen. I'm not sure how it works, fate, God, Satan?
Of all the dogs and cats I have had since I was 17 (and thats a lot) I probably intentionally chose 1% of them, maybe 2%.
There have been very few other peoples pets I havent liked.
To me they are like children in the respect that I also like other peoples children (most of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Some of us dont choose our pets, we get chosen. I'm not sure how it works, fate, God, Satan?
Of all the dogs and cats I have had since I was 17 (and thats a lot) I probably intentionally chose 1% of them, maybe 2%.
There have been very few other peoples pets I havent liked.
To me they are like children in the respect that I also like other peoples children (most of them).
LOL I found my cat on Petfinder and just instantly knew...his name, his face...there was something about him. He was a 5 month old kitten. I just was like, "That's my cat. I'm getting that cat. This is happening."

I blew through the paperwork, didn't care what they were charging, like just "Whatever, take my money" and when I opened the cage he was in, the way he looked at me and climbed out into my arms was like, "About damn time, human. Where have you been? You're late!"

Now THAT is "anthropomorphism." I don't care, though. Part of the joy of being Nimbus' human is imagining what he is communicating to me, far beyond whatever thoughts are likely to be in his head. All just part of the fun. I mean he came charging into my room sideways and hissed at nothing one day while I was playing Paul Simon's "Rhythm Of The Saints" album and I deduced that he does not like Paul Simon. He happened to be in a very nice, mellow mood another time when I was rocking some Dire Straits, so that is now "his favorite band." In honest reality I figure he probably doesn't care one way or another what music I play. It's just amusing to imagine that he does.

And really, for me, that's part of why I side-eye the notion that a pet can't feel "love"...I mean... It isn't just a matter of argument over science or reality or semantics even, underneath that it's more that I feel one is missing out on a pretty key piece of the (human) joy of having a pet. It's like saying that no one should write imaginative pieces of fiction or make original art or music because since these flights of fancy are not straight up carbon copies of something that is in front of you, well, you're being somehow a delusional person for indulging in the stuff in your head. You are in denial of reality! Well to some extent, having a mental landscape that goes beyond mere "reality" is part of the human experience. So someone who is not willing to engage with that, seems...cold and detached from an emotionally colorful existence, cut off from whatever it is that makes us smile when we imagine what a pet might think or feel, regardless of our ability to know for sure. That level of unimaginativeness feels dull and sterile to me. Unpleasantly so.

I mean, if to a person a pet is simply a piece of property, and not capable of love or other emotions, why not just buy a toaster or a lamp instead? Why would we care about "rescuing" them? "Oh honey today I went to Goodwill and rescued this shelving unit! I just could not bear to see it sitting there without a home." lol

*shrug*

Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people".

One of my siblings likes to come over to see my cat more than they like to see me, for example (granted I don't even like me, so I sort of understand).

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
Animals are real. They aren't phony. Once you learn about the animal, you know how to interact (or try not to) with the animal. I am always aware that wild animals, any of them, can attack - and I know that going in. I don't know that about humans.

For domesticated animals:

I build a bond with them. A very strong bond - some for whatever reason, I have a stronger bond than with others. I have learned a lot about life from animals, wild and domestic. When I was younger, I was very selfish with my time. My best friend in the world, my little cat Serenity, taught me how rewarding it was to put anothers needs over mine. Everything I did - choosing where to live, choosing what place to rent, choosing to go on a vacation and for how long, choosing to go out and do something or stay home and do something - it was all based around my pets. They were my priority - they will always be my priority over anything else on the planet. I try, as best as I can, (although we humans do fail at things), to give them the best life they can have.

I may not feel like getting out of bed on my day off, but I have a pet who needs to go outside, who needs to get exercise, who needs to see the world. And when we do go out, they delight in every little thing. I used to live in a bigger place, and I would announce "Road trip!" if I went from upstairs to downstairs, and they got excited - it was an adventure for them, every single time.

They have a sense of humor. They do feel. They do have emotions. I don't have to even talk to them and we can connect. There's no judging. There's no expectations (except at meal times). They simply enjoy living, period. They don't "need" a whole bunch of material things. They can take a piece of cardboard, or a rope, and be entertained all day long. They keep me based. They remind me to enjoy the simple things in life.

I used to have rats. I would take Lucy and Monique to the beach. They sat on my shoulders, one on each side, and just stared at the ocean. They loved it.

My dogs enjoy everything (except my boy doesn't enjoy other dogs - but that's another story). They roll around on the grass, in the sun, hind legs flailing about - they don't care what anyone thinks, they are living their best life.

My cats like to watch birds, sit in the sun on the windowsill and watch life, or just snuggle next to me. They all want to be right there, with me, especially when I go to sleep at night. It's very uncomfortable because they hog up the whole bed and their bodies push on my spine as they try to get as close as possible, or one sits at my head and breathes on me all night, one on my legs so I can't move around - they just enjoy being with each other, being with me, just being.

Is this possible with humans? Perhaps it is.

But I've never seen that side of humans. I've seen their darker side. Their evil side. Their hateful side. Their judgemental side.

My pets don't care if I'm not "enough" for everyone else in the world, I'm enough and more, for them. And that makes me feel very comfortable. It makes me relaxed. It takes away tension. It allows me to be authentically me - which I don't show many humans. Who I am, authentically, has become something that I don't share with a lot of humans - because someone, somewhere, is going to try to cut you down. Animals never do that.

Edited to add: Every single pet that I've ever had, I saved. Meaning, they were dumped by other people in the wild or on the streets. My rats -they were all destined to be snake food. I saved them from that ending. I know snakes need to eat, but they didn't get to eat mine.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-21-2019 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I used to have rats. I would take Lucy and Monique to the beach. They sat on my shoulders, one on each side, and just stared at the ocean. They loved it.

Edited to add: Every single pet that I've ever had, I saved. Meaning, they were dumped by other people in the wild or on the streets. My rats -they were all destined to be snake food. I saved them from that ending. I know snakes need to eat, but they didn't get to eat mine.
Rats make great pets. When my boys were young they found a snake, bought a rat to feed it. The rat killed the snake, so we had our first pet rat.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people".

One of my siblings likes to come over to see my cat more than they like to see me, for example (granted I don't even like me, so I sort of understand).

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.

It's not that I like animals more than humans but, I care more for them because they are voiceless and vulnerable. It's sort of like kids, people in general are more sympathetic to kids than adults. Animals just get abused way too much so I believe they deserve more sympathy. It's really that simple.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
As others stated, pets are simple. If you show them love, they'll reward you with loyalty & unconditional love, which is more than I can say for most people. My pitbull is mid-sized, and adorable. She loves children, and whenever young children see me walking my dog around the neighborhood, they always want to pet her.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
As others stated, pets are simple. If you show them love, they'll reward you with loyalty & unconditional love, which is more than I can say for most people. My pitbull is mid-sized, and adorable. She loves children, and whenever young children see me walking my dog around the neighborhood, they always want to pet her.
Exactly, their emotions are simple and pure. Because they lack the advanced cognitive abilities humans have they don't strategize, plot, evaluate, judge, connive, complicate, have expectations or quid pro quo. They basically live in the moment and what you see is what you get.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:53 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Exactly, their emotions are simple and pure. Because they lack the advanced cognitive abilities humans have they don't strategize, plot, evaluate, judge, connive, complicate, have expectations or quid pro quo. They basically live in the moment and what you see is what you get.
Even when they're committing battery with their tails?

Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Even when they're committing battery with their tails?

You will not give up on that, lol.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:07 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL I found my cat on Petfinder and just instantly knew...his name, his face...there was something about him. He was a 5 month old kitten. I just was like, "That's my cat. I'm getting that cat. This is happening."

I blew through the paperwork, didn't care what they were charging, like just "Whatever, take my money" and when I opened the cage he was in, the way he looked at me and climbed out into my arms was like, "About damn time, human. Where have you been? You're late!"

Now THAT is "anthropomorphism." I don't care, though. Part of the joy of being Nimbus' human is imagining what he is communicating to me, far beyond whatever thoughts are likely to be in his head. All just part of the fun. I mean he came charging into my room sideways and hissed at nothing one day while I was playing Paul Simon's "Rhythm Of The Saints" album and I deduced that he does not like Paul Simon. He happened to be in a very nice, mellow mood another time when I was rocking some Dire Straits, so that is now "his favorite band." In honest reality I figure he probably doesn't care one way or another what music I play. It's just amusing to imagine that he does.

And really, for me, that's part of why I side-eye the notion that a pet can't feel "love"...I mean... It isn't just a matter of argument over science or reality or semantics even, underneath that it's more that I feel one is missing out on a pretty key piece of the (human) joy of having a pet. It's like saying that no one should write imaginative pieces of fiction or make original art or music because since these flights of fancy are not straight up carbon copies of something that is in front of you, well, you're being somehow a delusional person for indulging in the stuff in your head. You are in denial of reality! Well to some extent, having a mental landscape that goes beyond mere "reality" is part of the human experience. So someone who is not willing to engage with that, seems...cold and detached from an emotionally colorful existence, cut off from whatever it is that makes us smile when we imagine what a pet might think or feel, regardless of our ability to know for sure. That level of unimaginativeness feels dull and sterile to me. Unpleasantly so.

I mean, if to a person a pet is simply a piece of property, and not capable of love or other emotions, why not just buy a toaster or a lamp instead? Why would we care about "rescuing" them? "Oh honey today I went to Goodwill and rescued this shelving unit! I just could not bear to see it sitting there without a home." lol

*shrug*

Nor should you. It's widely accepted in this country, even by our government. Thank God.

"Two pigeons, five dogs and a horse given U.S. medals for wartime bravery"

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...given-us-medal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates