Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times

Advertisements

I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people".

One of my siblings likes to come over to see my cat more than they like to see me, for example (granted I don't even like me, so I sort of understand).

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 07:10 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,224,091 times
Pets usually are non-judgmental, They don't talk back. they always seem happy to see you. My cat purrs every time I pick her up and hold her. Humans are generally not like that, which I am grateful for. Animals tend to be short on communication skills. That's okay with me too.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people".

One of my siblings likes to come over to see my cat more than they like to see me, for example (granted I don't even like me, so I sort of understand).

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
Pretty much. Animals generally give you unconditional love for very little in return. They dont lie, they dont cheat, steal, manipulate, use, deceive, assault or kill you (rarely), cause you years of heartache and pain,or drama. They are generally loyal, calm and attentive, even soothing. Humans on the other hand at some point will do any of the above.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:11 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Also, stuff we grew up with. Like you can grow up with issues in your family that give you an avoidant attachment style situation, as I've been reading about lately because it sounds all too familiar to me. And I don't really care for dogs that much because I was attacked and bitten and frightened by them as a kid, I'm at least wary around strange dogs. But I did grow up with cats. And I love them. I have a cat. I miss him every day when I'm at work. I take more photos of him than I do anything or anyone else. I talk about him often. He's my buddy. He brings me a lot of happiness. Even when he isn't feeling especially affectionate, he's entertaining and cute. Watching him sleep makes me feel safe and comfortable in my home (and it makes me want to nap, too, I can't lie.) The cat is always happy to see me, when I come home every day.

The things my cat needs and wants from me are pretty simple. The things that human beings want from me can be more complicated, and sometimes go beyond what I really want to give. The expectations I have of my cat are also simple, and he is not likely to disappoint me, unlike most of the people I know.

I say all of this, even as an extrovert who really likes tons of people and loves many people...still, there is something different and special in how I relate to other creatures. And pointing to my childhood, as the awkward ugly duckling little girl who had no friends, and who was scared of other kids (who seemed like loud, violent, dirty savages to me)...I certainly grew up liking cats better than people, and I'd say that cats liked me a lot more than other people did, too.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also, stuff we grew up with. Like you can grow up with issues in your family that give you an avoidant attachment style situation, as I've been reading about lately because it sounds all too familiar to me. And I don't really care for dogs that much because I was attacked and bitten and frightened by them as a kid, I'm at least wary around strange dogs. But I did grow up with cats. And I love them. I have a cat. I miss him every day when I'm at work. I take more photos of him than I do anything or anyone else. I talk about him often. He's my buddy. He brings me a lot of happiness. Even when he isn't feeling especially affectionate, he's entertaining and cute. Watching him sleep makes me feel safe and comfortable in my home (and it makes me want to nap, too, I can't lie.) The cat is always happy to see me, when I come home every day.

The things my cat needs and wants from me are pretty simple. The things that human beings want from me can be more complicated, and sometimes go beyond what I really want to give. The expectations I have of my cat are also simple, and he is not likely to disappoint me, unlike most of the people I know.

I say all of this, even as an extrovert who really likes tons of people and loves many people...still, there is something different and special in how I relate to other creatures. And pointing to my childhood, as the awkward ugly duckling little girl who had no friends, and who was scared of other kids (who seemed like loud, violent, dirty savages to me)...I certainly grew up liking cats better than people, and I'd say that cats liked me a lot more than other people did, too.
I only have a cat too, and I feel about him similarly as you do yours. He is always sleeping by the door for me when I get home from work late.

Granted the little s--- will bite me in the face if we roughhouse or claw the heck out of my leg when I walk by him, and he's a stubborn lil Norwegian Snow cat, he's still like my son/brother/best friend in one. haha

Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
Pets don't aren't selfish or self absorbed like most like humans are these days.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,557,396 times
People are more complicated, so it's harder to find somebody you really like. Pets have simple needs and they tend to adapt to your habits.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
I love all animals. I can't explain why. I was this way when I was barely able to walk. I had a puppy. So maybe it's a loving connection w/them at an early age. (Like some people or animals are anti-social, if they aren't socialized by a certain age.)

I am a nature lover. I observe creatures and am fascinated by them. Turtles, owls, lizards, dogs, cats, toads, goats. They are incapable of cruelty. They merely act and react at a basic level, and are vulnerable around humans (who can be cruel).

I guess you aren't like that?

I even see animals as individuals, which I don't think some people do. When I see a bunch of cows standing in a field, for example, I see them as individual cows. Each one being a separate being, with no two being alike. Like humans, in that respect.

I was raised to age 8 in a tiny town and had exposure to some animals at nearby farms. Then moved to a mid-sized city and had a couple of dogs later. My mom got a cat, as well.

Maybe I was a cow or dog in a prior life. Who knows. It's a good thing, though. Love and appreciation of other creatures, other people, and culture...all these things are good things.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I love all animals. I can't explain why. I was this way when I was barely able to walk. I had a puppy. So maybe it's a loving connection w/them at an early age. (Like some people or animals are anti-social, if they aren't socialized by a certain age.)

I am a nature lover. I observe creatures and am fascinated by them. Turtles, owls, lizards, dogs, cats, toads, goats. They are incapable of cruelty. They merely act and react at a basic level, and are vulnerable around humans (who can be cruel).

Is.
I think animals are capable of cruelty. Dogs maul people every year in America. Before I stopped letting my cat out, he killed (I counted) like 15 rabbits in just one Summer. He would bring em in the yard and maul them.

That said, I think most cats and dogs are generally kind to humans.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:36 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Pretty much. Animals generally give you unconditional love for very little in return. They dont lie, they dont cheat, steal, manipulate, use, deceive, assault or kill you (rarely), cause you years of heartache and pain,or drama. They are generally loyal, calm and attentive, even soothing. Humans on the other hand at some point will do any of the above.

Well my beagle might manipulate me to give him treats, but otherwise all true.

I love animals too. Especially dogs. They are dependable and no matter how bad things get, my little guy can always put a smile on my face and remind me what really matters. They have simple needs like me.

In the modern age, I'll add that they won't ghost you either. Most humans always let you down or disappoint you. And it's hard to find ones who want to really connect with you as you get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates