Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 02:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,970,897 times

Advertisements

most like THEIR pet, not necessarily the pets of others, because most chose their pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 02:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also, stuff we grew up with. Like you can grow up with issues in your family that give you an avoidant attachment style situation, as I've been reading about lately because it sounds all too familiar to me. And I don't really care for dogs that much because I was attacked and bitten and frightened by them as a kid, I'm at least wary around strange dogs. But I did grow up with cats. And I love them. I have a cat. I miss him every day when I'm at work. I take more photos of him than I do anything or anyone else. I talk about him often. He's my buddy. He brings me a lot of happiness. Even when he isn't feeling especially affectionate, he's entertaining and cute. Watching him sleep makes me feel safe and comfortable in my home (and it makes me want to nap, too, I can't lie.) The cat is always happy to see me, when I come home every day.

The things my cat needs and wants from me are pretty simple. The things that human beings want from me can be more complicated, and sometimes go beyond what I really want to give. The expectations I have of my cat are also simple, and he is not likely to disappoint me, unlike most of the people I know.

I say all of this, even as an extrovert who really likes tons of people and loves many people...still, there is something different and special in how I relate to other creatures. And pointing to my childhood, as the awkward ugly duckling little girl who had no friends, and who was scared of other kids (who seemed like loud, violent, dirty savages to me)...I certainly grew up liking cats better than people, and I'd say that cats liked me a lot more than other people did, too.
I'm sure that was a horrible experience, but the description made me smile.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:00 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
I'm one of those people that usually likes dogs more than I like people...lol. Dogs love you unconditionally and won't talk behind your back like many people will. They don't hold grudges or judge you.. All they ask for is your love.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm one of those people that usually likes dogs more than I like people...lol. Dogs love you unconditionally and won't talk behind your back like many people will. They don't hold grudges or judge you.. All they ask for is your love.
There is a reason why "dog" is "God" spelled backwards.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:37 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
There is a reason why "dog" is "God" spelled backwards.
Aww.. that's a good point

Old 11-07-2019, 05:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,294 times
Mental illness.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
I think it is a selfish ego thing. They want to be superior and to be liked unconditionally. Since other humans aren't going to be subservient and grovel at their feet like they wish for, only a lowly animal like a dog can fulfill this role. I should say this one of the cases not always the case.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I think animals are capable of cruelty. Dogs maul people every year in America. Before I stopped letting my cat out, he killed (I counted) like 15 rabbits in just one Summer. He would bring em in the yard and maul them.

That said, I think most cats and dogs are generally kind to humans.
That's not cruelty. Unlike humans, they aren't being cruel to intentionally cause someone pain or humiliation. There is always a reason a dog or other animal bites or kills another creature. It's a reaction to something.

Dogs are predators, just as cats are. Being a predator is not being cruel. It's their nature to go after prey, but not for the purpose of being cruel.

A serial killer may tie someone up, torture them, hit them a baseball bat to hurt them but not kill them. Or a robber may kill someone after robbing him, just for the heck of it. Humans can be cruel. Animals...never. Remember that dogs and cats don't have hands, so they use their mouths and teeth more often than humans do.

Last edited by bpollen; 11-07-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,987,792 times
Animals don't act in malice or stupidity, for the most part. If they do something douche-y, it's not on purpose, or something they should be expected to know better not to do yet don't care and do it anyway. For most animals, any selfishness, cruelty, rudeness, carelessness, inconsiderate-ness, etc. is neither willful/volitional nor cognizant.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Mental illness.
You have a mental illness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates