Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people".

One of my siblings likes to come over to see my cat more than they like to see me, for example (granted I don't even like me, so I sort of understand).

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
I can’t say I like my dogs more than people. But I am very careful who I chose as friends. I have a lot of aquaintances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 03:03 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Most posting have docile and well behaved "pets".

I lived in an area once where by no means were these "house pets" docile or lovable. Attack dogs were the norm. So I rarely just assume if a person has a pet they are going to have a decent mindset. Some really enjoy having a vicious animal ( well except for bunny rabbit owners LOL!!)

Lets face it,pets depend on us, there by its a co dependent life choice. They require us to feed them....they are essentially our captives. A genuinely good owner will regard that dynamic and welcome with glee the pet knowing that they have a duty to house, give medical attention and see that the pet is given liberties.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I lived in an area once where by no means were these "house pets" docile or lovable. Attack dogs were the norm. So I rarely just assume if a person has a pet they are going to have a decent mindset. Some really enjoy having a vicious animal ( well except for bunny rabbit owners LOL!!)

Lets face it,pets depend on us, there by its a co dependent life choice. They require us to feed them....they are essentially our captives. A genuinely good owner will regard that dynamic and welcome with glee the pet knowing that they have a duty to house, give medical attention and see that the pet is given liberties.
I would say few may enjoy having a vicious animal. Almost everyone I know or have known has had a non vicious animal.
Hey rabbits can be vicious.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:52 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I love all animals. I can't explain why. I was this way when I was barely able to walk. I had a puppy. So maybe it's a loving connection w/them at an early age. (Like some people or animals are anti-social, if they aren't socialized by a certain age.)

I am a nature lover. I observe creatures and am fascinated by them. Turtles, owls, lizards, dogs, cats, toads, goats. They are incapable of cruelty. They merely act and react at a basic level, and are vulnerable around humans (who can be cruel).

I guess you aren't like that?

I even see animals as individuals, which I don't think some people do. When I see a bunch of cows standing in a field, for example, I see them as individual cows. Each one being a separate being, with no two being alike. Like humans, in that respect.

I was raised to age 8 in a tiny town and had exposure to some animals at nearby farms. Then moved to a mid-sized city and had a couple of dogs later. My mom got a cat, as well.

Maybe I was a cow or dog in a prior life. Who knows. It's a good thing, though. Love and appreciation of other creatures, other people, and culture...all these things are good things.
IDK, I think it is just who you are. Growing up we didnt have pets although I always wanted one and was always an animal lover. They use to call me Ellie Mae Clampett (I just aged myself ) Finally after what seemed like decades of begging dad agreed to get a puppy (I was about 8) but it had to stay outside and I dont remember having him long, IDK what happened to him. Years later I begged and begged and got a cat that was restricted to my bedroom. I always loved animals and tried to bring home strays. When I visited my grands during the summer I pretty much spent my time with the dog, cat, cows and my uncles horse. When I became an adult I always had dogs (plural) and cats (plural), rats, mice, rabbits, chickens, fish. Later I was able to get a horse, which became horses, then bought some acreage and had goats, potbelly pigs, a ferret my son rescued from the middle of the highway, and a couple orphaned raccoons.

Im am currently down to 7 chickens, one cat, 6 dogs (not sure how that happened) and 2 horses.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:00 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

But that doesn't mean the animal is vicious because they enjoy it, the way people are.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
......Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
I don't know about that for at times there appears to be a conspiracy.

Such as....."Who will hide today and worry Mommy to no end?" or "Let's all snub our food and convince Mommy to open up cans of salmon.".

It may not be stabbing you in the back but.....

As far as gossip goes, have you seen this one?
https://pics.me.me/of-course-you-can...s-36800997.png

Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Pretty much. Animals generally give you unconditional love for very little in return. They dont lie, they dont cheat, steal, manipulate, use, deceive, assault or kill you (rarely), cause you years of heartache and pain,or drama. They are generally loyal, calm and attentive, even soothing. Humans on the other hand at some point will do any of the above.
actually.. if you think about it a rock has the same attributes...……...

Old 11-08-2019, 08:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
I know this may not be the case for a great many human beings, but I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "I get along more with animals than I do other people"

Is it conflict? Is it fear? What is it? Cats and dogs don't stab you in the back, or gossip about you? I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
Maybe it's because our pets give us an unconditional love...

Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
actually.. if you think about it a rock has the same attributes...……...
I asked the local entomologist how he became so interested and in love with ticks, and defensively he retorted that he was not interested in rocks!

Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
I know it seems like a silly topic, but to me it's kind of fascinating that fellow humans dislike their own humankind more than they do animals.
I am not sure "dislike" is the correct emotion here, I think it is more likely that some people are more comfortable around animals than around people. People are complicated to deal with, with all of our emotions, our egos, our pettiness at times. I can easily see why animals are preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates