Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Where exactly have you seen UBI "work out"?
Has our current unemployment worked? Many still haven't gotten payments and the only money they had come in was perhaps the stimulus. If it wasn't for mortgage forgiveness and utilities putting payments on hold, we would see more problems. Fact the stimulus, and unemployment systems haven't worked at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Has our current unemployment worked? Many still haven't gotten payments and the only money they had come in was perhaps the stimulus. If it wasn't for mortgage forgiveness and utilities putting payments on hold, we would see more problems. Fact the stimulus, and unemployment systems haven't worked at all.

UI has indeed worked for many for a long time. It provides assistance to bridge lost income but not enough to be a disincentive to work. To judge a program that is 85 years old based on a one month overload due to an unprecedented pandemic is silly. And many have received their payments. Most of the complaints about issues I've seen involve people with sticky situations like they had moved recently or had recent UI claims or denials prior to CV19.

But don't dodge the question. You asserted that you've seen UBI work better so where exactly have you seen it work better?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Yet another thread that starts are by saying UBI is AWESOME!!!!!! Every few months ... the same topic and ALWAYS championed.

Agenda much on C-D???

Old 04-28-2020, 12:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Where does the money come from? If my taxes go up due to a Universal basic income, how does this help me? I guess if you pay no taxes, it's a win for you. $1000/month X 330,000,000 = 330 billion a month x 12 = 4 trillion a year. Should be no problem.
There are only about 40 million Americans living below the poverty level. A UBI would let us eliminate welfare, SNAP, subsidized housing, WIC, and lay off all the bureaucrats who make a living administering our current mess. It would be way cheaper than what we've got. UBI would not pay everyone, just the people below the poverty line.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
UI has indeed worked for many for a long time. It provides assistance to bridge lost income but not enough to be a disincentive to work. To judge a program that is 85 years old based on a one month overload due to an unprecedented pandemic is silly. And many have received their payments. Most of the complaints about issues I've seen involve people with sticky situations like they had moved recently or had recent UI claims or denials prior to CV19.

But don't dodge the question. You asserted that you've seen UBI work better so where exactly have you seen it work better?
What state do you live in. I live in Arizona and see it on local news once a week and the Department of Economic Security who handles UI in AZ don't want to talk about it, saying it is a server issue. Florida has been in the national news with it too blaming server issues. The fact is the system has been blown up. Other states are running out of funding in the next month or so for their UI programs. So yeah, it is working alright...

As for UBI working out better, the proof is what we have seen with the stimulus roll out and how hard it is for many to get unemployment whether it is a donut hole issue or just the administrative issue. People don't have time to sit around for more than a month waiting for their status. I see this on local news every week.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
My understanding is with implemented UBI, the cash payments replace existing social welfare programs such as SS, Medicare, Medicaid, and many others. As a senior, I love my Medicare, and as such a nonstarter for me, besides it’s a flawed system that would never work in today's economy.
Medicare is a separate issue. We would have to eliminate our for-profit medical system and roll back the clock to 1970, when medicine for profit was illegal. I think Nixon was the one who changed that.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There are only about 40 million Americans living below the poverty level. A UBI would let us eliminate welfare, SNAP, subsidized housing, WIC, and lay off all the bureaucrats who make a living administering our current mess. It would be way cheaper than what we've got. UBI would not pay everyone, just the people below the poverty line.

Then that's not "universal". How would it be cheaper?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
As for UBI working out better, the proof is what we have seen with the stimulus roll out and how hard it is for many to get unemployment whether it is a donut hole issue or just the administrative issue. People don't have time to sit around for more than a month waiting for their status. I see this on local news every week.

No that's not proof, that's speculation about alternative scenarios.

Or just admit that you have no real-world example to provide that UBI works well.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
No that's not proof, that's speculation about alternative scenarios.

Or just admit that you have no real-world example to provide that UBI works well.
My answer is that the current system is ineffective. We have to consider alternatives. It is only gonna be worse since we are seeing more and more people talk about the added robotics and artificial intelligence, UBI should be on the table because we are going to be running into an issue of economic collapse for individuals or the general public.

It has happened in Kenya and Finland is the most common example. Finland tried it for two years. During the two years it found people had more trust in the future. The left and right think it can be befenical. The right fit reduced government and the left for tacking poverty and threat of jobs being automated.

If you need anymore proof of the unemployment system being broken, this came from a Facebook post of a friend of mine from college...
Quote:
I’ve waited weeks to speak to someone at the unemployment office about finishing my claim.

Today I finally received a call back and my issues are all on their end. Missing answers on questions I never saw, no unique confirmation number given to me upon finishing my application, and my application date said 12/31/1889 to them.

At the end of the call the very lovely woman said I would receive a call back after speaking with a supervisor and I did get a call back only to be told that because she flagged it as a technology disconnect, my number is back in the pool of everyone else waiting to be called.

I’ve been waiting since 3/20. Things have to change with this system. The struggle is real.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. Hope we can see each other soon.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
My answer is that the current system is ineffective. We have to consider alternatives. It is only gonna be worse since we are seeing more and more people talk about the added robotics and artificial intelligence, UBI should be on the table because we are going to be running into an issue of economic collapse for individuals or the general public.

It has happened in Kenya and Finland is the most common example. Finland tried it for two years. During the two years it found people had more trust in the future. The left and right think it can be befenical. The right fit reduced government and the left for tacking poverty and threat of jobs being automated.

If you need anymore proof of the unemployment system being broken, this came from a Facebook post of a friend of mine from college...

The only proof I need from you is something supporting your allegation that UBI has worked well or a retraction of your allegation.

Again, casting judgment on an 85-yr-old UI program because it has been slowed for a month by an unprecedented pandemic is ridiculous. Many UI agencies were only beginning to handle business online. In 10-20 years it will all be automated and hardware/software so much better that even a pandemic won't strain the system.

UBI can be on the table. Fine. But the burden of proof is in showing that it works well for both the recipient and the overall society. You're seriously using Kenya as an economic model? If it worked so well in Finland then why was it scrapped? As I said, it has to do more than be well received by the ones receiving free money, it has to work for the ones paying for it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates