Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 09:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
You probably were told earlier in you life to avoid topics like religion and politics esp at work or with your family and friends. You may have gotten into a few heated political debates with strangers either online or offline and found it nearly impossible to reason with them and that left a bad taste in your mouth. So you don't want to offend others and want harmony, and without thinking, you end up gravitating with others with similar political beliefs as yours to minimize such political friction.

And when millions of people do this at scale, you end up with polarization.

At least that's my theory, but feel free to disagree. But if it's at least somewhat true, then I think there's a simple measure that'll reduce polarization: stop being so easily offended - put up a thicker skin but at the same time, listen and respect others with differing political views! You don't need to accept their views but stop instinctively recoiling and seeking refuge with similar minded people at the first hint of meeting some with political views that are at odds with yours.

Does that sound like a recipe for less polarization? Why or why not?
You need to consider some points.
First, is the point so important to sacrifice a relationship? Topics like religion and politics have led to divorces, broken relationship, jobs, group memberships, and on and on.
So, how important that type of relationship? Is the topic more important than your relationship with others?
I think you will agree that having heated discussion in these forum do not affect your wallet or breaks your leg, right?

Next, why is the intent of discussing such topics? To learn and learn of other points of view or to prove others wrong?

How open minded are you? Do you discuss such topics and as soon as the discussion is over, do brood on it because things did not go your way?

Will arguing such topics a work affect work relationship? If so, is it worth it?

Also, pick your battles and which hill you want to take. Select the time and place also. Do you want to have a discussion on politics with friends during a loved one wedding?

Learn which people are more friendly and mature to discuss such topics and avoid those that are hard headed. In other words, don't argue with idiots because the discussion will lead nowhere. Have you noticed that the people that brag that they speak up their minds are the most closed minded? If you have not noticed, observe them as they discuss topics with others. Also, they tend to talk over those around them in discussions despite their claims that they listen to other and accept differences of opinions.

I love to talk about religion and politics. However, I have a select group of friends and loved ones that can handle different points of view without being judgmental.

Finally, I share quotes I use as a guide:
The road to understanding is difficult for those that make distinctions, do not like, do not dislike. Then everything will become clearer.
Master Tseng Sang.

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or not god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson.

In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; and in all things, charity.
Augustine of Hippo

Don't confuse listening with compliance or agreement.
My quote

You have a great day.
elamigo

t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 09:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
I think it's more likely that people have always wanted to live with other like-minded people, but did not have the means to do so. Now that we are becoming steadily wealthier, this kind of sorting is more likely to occur.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I think it's more likely that people have always wanted to live with other like-minded people, but did not have the means to do so. Now that we are becoming steadily wealthier, this kind of sorting is more likely to occur.
That is a good point. I share a quote from Fredrick Angels.
He said, "Human beings must first of all eat, drink, shelter and clothe themselves before they turn their attention to politics, science, art and religion."

It is not bad to try to live and associate with people that are like minded. The problem is when people try to change other people's minds in some form from suggesting to force. Also, sadly, there is a tendency to keep a close mind. They claim to respect other people's views, but yet in some form try to change that.

Your comment makes sense to me and goes along with his quote.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 12-19-2020, 05:08 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Saying someone is "open-minded" is really saying the other person doesn't have any set beliefs and values and opinions, and therefore they are "open" to being told what's "best" to believe. Correct? That's not realistic though. How many adults do you know who don't have any opinion one way or another? And there are certain situations which aren't open to debate. For example, someone who practices a certain religion isn't going to change their beliefs. Are you saying that person is "close minded" because they won't "change" their beliefs? So, why bother listening to someone else's different beliefs or opinions if theirs is already set in stone? Yes, of course there's fear about talking about polarizing topics. I have many different friends from different walks of life and I'm not really sure where they stand on religion and politics, and I'm not willing to delve into it in a social setting if it's going to cause an argument.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:28 AM

81 posts, read 37,476 times
Just be sure to board up all your windows, before hand.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Saying someone is "open-minded" is really saying the other person doesn't have any set beliefs and values and opinions, and therefore they are "open" to being told what's "best" to believe. Correct? That's not realistic though. How many adults do you know who don't have any opinion one way or another? And there are certain situations which aren't open to debate. For example, someone who practices a certain religion isn't going to change their beliefs. Are you saying that person is "close minded" because they won't "change" their beliefs? So, why bother listening to someone else's different beliefs or opinions if theirs is already set in stone? Yes, of course there's fear about talking about polarizing topics. I have many different friends from different walks of life and I'm not really sure where they stand on religion and politics, and I'm not willing to delve into it in a social setting if it's going to cause an argument.
I do not think it is correct to say that "Saying someone is "being open minded" is really saying the other person doesn't have any set of belief and values and opinions, therefore they are "open to being told what's "best" to believe."

Being open-minded means you are willing to listen to others without being judgmental. At the same time, it means you are willing to accept that what you believe COULD BE incorrect, unfair, biased, wrong, etc. After all, all of us are human. As such, we can hold beliefs that could be changed or adjusted because they have some type of flaw.

How do you know that someone that has a certain isn't going to change. I wonder where you have been in life. Countless people have changed religions, many have become atheists, and atheist have become theist. Many have change political views, and I can go on and on because I have seen it.

I bother to listen to others because it leads to learn more in life. Based on your comment, then why bother coming to these forums? Don't waste your time reading what others will express. What is your intent of of reading of others beliefs? Simply to show them wrong so you feel good? I hope that is not your intent. I come to these forum because I love to learn, not to change people's mind. If that happens, good for them if they thing what I said showed them another perspective.

In philosophy, argumentation is good. It is a way to learn about other views in life. When I argue, I try to gauge if that individual want to argue for the sake of arguing, or that he wants to show he is right or prove me wrong. Often, I end those types of conversations because I do not see that person wanting to share his or her views and to learn from me as I am learning from him or her.

So, I do not avoid argumentation. What I avoid is confrontation that leads nowhere. I have had beautiful arguments with people of other beliefs in many areas of life, and they have enriched my life.

I encourage you to take a close look at your stance. There is an axiom I learned when I live in Mexico. It said "el leon cree que todos son the su misma condicion." It Spanish it rhymes. A transliteration is something like "the lion thinks believe all are of the same way he is", but I will translated it as best as possible. It means that the person views others as the same way he is. My brother said it in a better way, "you judge how you live." So maybe, you are the one that is not willing to have an open-mind and thing all others are the same way. I know people can be open minded and have a mind of their own too.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 12-22-2020, 11:25 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do not think it is correct to say that "Saying someone is "being open minded" is really saying the other person doesn't have any set of belief and values and opinions, therefore they are "open to being told what's "best" to believe."

Being open-minded means you are willing to listen to others without being judgmental. At the same time, it means you are willing to accept that what you believe COULD BE incorrect, unfair, biased, wrong, etc. After all, all of us are human. As such, we can hold beliefs that could be changed or adjusted because they have some type of flaw.

How do you know that someone that has a certain isn't going to change. I wonder where you have been in life. Countless people have changed religions, many have become atheists, and atheist have become theist. Many have change political views, and I can go on and on because I have seen it.

I bother to listen to others because it leads to learn more in life. Based on your comment, then why bother coming to these forums? Don't waste your time reading what others will express. What is your intent of of reading of others beliefs? Simply to show them wrong so you feel good? I hope that is not your intent. I come to these forum because I love to learn, not to change people's mind. If that happens, good for them if they thing what I said showed them another perspective.

In philosophy, argumentation is good. It is a way to learn about other views in life. When I argue, I try to gauge if that individual want to argue for the sake of arguing, or that he wants to show he is right or prove me wrong. Often, I end those types of conversations because I do not see that person wanting to share his or her views and to learn from me as I am learning from him or her.

So, I do not avoid argumentation. What I avoid is confrontation that leads nowhere. I have had beautiful arguments with people of other beliefs in many areas of life, and they have enriched my life.

I encourage you to take a close look at your stance. There is an axiom I learned when I live in Mexico. It said "el leon cree que todos son the su misma condicion." It Spanish it rhymes. A transliteration is something like "the lion thinks believe all are of the same way he is", but I will translated it as best as possible. It means that the person views others as the same way he is. My brother said it in a better way, "you judge how you live." So maybe, you are the one that is not willing to have an open-mind and thing all others are the same way. I know people can be open minded and have a mind of their own too.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Great post. Very much along the lines, of how when a relative announced to me that he aligned in an opposite way from what he thought he knew about my own political alignment, I just asked him, "OK, what does that mean to you?"

I'm willing, very willing in fact, to hear and speak with people who do not hold the same beliefs that I do. But it's got to be respectful. I can keep it that way on my end. But I won't sit there and take it if someone starts behaving in disrespectful, condescending, or bullying ways towards me. I will end the conversation. My time has value to me, I get to choose how to use it. I won't waste it being complicit in another person's poor treatment of me. I do not need to thicken up my skin and smile and let someone behave disrespectfully to me. I don't owe someone my time or attention.

But I'm willing to give it if the conversation is respectful and constructive.

I think that this is a big part of the problem, though...too often, people feel entitled to NOT be respectful or constructive, and then get bent out of shape when others no longer want to engage with them.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:46 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I think that political beliefs and stated opinions will contribute to polarization that already exists. For example, look at the urban-rural divide. That divide has existed long before the advent of the current political atmosphere. There are many facets to it beyond politics. I lived on both sides of that divide and was amazed at some of the beliefs and assumptions voiced about made It has almost become a cultural thing with certain names and labels applied to one side or the other - but mostly by rural residents. That was an artifact of media and experiencing city life via television. Politics seems to be an additional way of manipulating and amplifying divisions. During very politically charged periods we find people living in a bubble where opposing ideas or facts are filtered out.

But, today we have regional differences in politics. I now live in a blue state and in my social circle there is a wide range of intensity of "blueness" with some holding extreme views and some more casual in their positions. I can think of only one extreme "red-minded" person who did exile himself from the social group and even moved out of the state to be "closer with family". I think that we are sometimes surprised at the vehemence and level of conflict that can erupt among normally reasonable and casually connected friends.

We all have certain biases and preconceived notions and voicing extreme political views or engaging in heated arguments pulls that into the mix. The outgoing president has a knack for triggering those biases and coded beliefs on both sides which amplifies the divide.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I think that this is a big part of the problem, though...too often, people feel entitled to NOT be respectful or constructive, and then get bent out of shape when others no longer want to engage with them.
Very true! I see that in many exchanges in this forum. I do not remember when, but I see that, very often, in the religion forum. I mentioned that to one participant. He said that he was entitled to treat people that way because they are irrational and believe in a spiritual being that did not exist. So, he felt right in insulting.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 12-23-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think that political beliefs and stated opinions will contribute to polarization that already exists. For example, look at the urban-rural divide. That divide has existed long before the advent of the current political atmosphere. There are many facets to it beyond politics. I lived on both sides of that divide and was amazed at some of the beliefs and assumptions voiced about made It has almost become a cultural thing with certain names and labels applied to one side or the other - but mostly by rural residents. That was an artifact of media and experiencing city life via television. Politics seems to be an additional way of manipulating and amplifying divisions. During very politically charged periods we find people living in a bubble where opposing ideas or facts are filtered out.

But, today we have regional differences in politics. I now live in a blue state and in my social circle there is a wide range of intensity of "blueness" with some holding extreme views and some more casual in their positions. I can think of only one extreme "red-minded" person who did exile himself from the social group and even moved out of the state to be "closer with family". I think that we are sometimes surprised at the vehemence and level of conflict that can erupt among normally reasonable and casually connected friends.

We all have certain biases and preconceived notions and voicing extreme political views or engaging in heated arguments pulls that into the mix. The outgoing president has a knack for triggering those biases and coded beliefs on both sides which amplifies the divide.
You reminded me of two books that I enjoyed reading. They are "TheRighteous Mind: why good people are divided by politics and religion" byJonathan Haidt. The other one is "OurPolitical Nature: The Evolutionary Origins of what Divide Us" by AviTuschman.
This problem applies to anybody at different levels on any type of topic and preference.
The second one was very interesting to me. The writer shows a lot of historical evidence and biology to prove the point that to some degree our genes influence what political views we hold. It is not written in stone, but it is a great influence.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates