Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 12:16 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
First responders and so-called and arbitrarily-determined “essential” workers will have less chance of contacting Covid if everyone is vaccinated. The insane phasing and classification schemes are wasting time and killing people. Everyone is essential. Just put the thing out there and go straight from production to arm jabs without all this collectivist bureaucratic interference and embargo.
I would agree with you if there was enough vaccine to go around such that "everyone" could receive their jabs within a week or two. But unfortunately, due to manufacturing, storage and distribution requirements, there are only so many thousand doses available per day, and in a country with 330 million people (or if you want to take the larger view, almost 7 billion worldwide), it's going to take several months (probably the better part of a year) to cover everyone. So, you prioritize as it makes sense. I can wait, I'd rather "my" dose go to someone at higher risk of contracting or of dying from the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I would agree with you if there was enough vaccine to go around such that "everyone" could receive their jabs within a week or two. But unfortunately, due to manufacturing, storage and distribution requirements, there are only so many thousand doses available per day, and in a country with 330 million people (or if you want to take the larger view, almost 7 billion worldwide), it's going to take several months (probably the better part of a year) to cover everyone. So, you prioritize as it makes sense. I can wait, I'd rather "my" dose go to someone at higher risk of contracting or of dying from the disease.
When high percentages of frontline workers refuse the vaccine you reallocate. I've seen a figure of 30% in NY.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:42 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Last time I looked, California is using a system, that as the ICU's dip to 15% or lower availability, COVID restrictions get tighter. Almost the whole state (by county) is at 15% or lower, and it can change by the day.

If the numbers climb above 15%, some restrictions are lifted. If it dips again, the restrictions are put back in place.

Like I said...this was the last time I checked (last week). There was only ONE county above 15%
This is the same here in Texas, and now we are way below the 15%, and things have tightened up.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
When high percentages of frontline workers refuse the vaccine you reallocate. I've seen a figure of 30% in NY.
Most frontline workers are young and low risk. Or maybe they don't trust it, for personal or political reasons. I plan to get mine; I'm in Illinois's Phase 1B category (medical logistics worker). I enter hospitals on a regular basis, I have high risk family members, and I socialize a lot. So it's the right thing to do.

Even as a conservative supporting He Who Shall Not Be Named, I see more merit in getting it than not getting it. If my immune system will be strong enough to kill Covid, it'll be strong enough to disable the 5G trackers in the vaccine. Hehe!

Old 01-12-2021, 12:49 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Same here in my Texas county, over 100K signed up, but no one is getting the shots. P### poor planning and distribution statewide.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
I’d rather not wait, and I don’t think anyone is more entitled than anyone else. Herd immunity is achieved from immediate maximal vaccination. First come, first served, sign up online, get jabbed. Keep it simple. Politicians and bureaucrats are wasting time and killing people.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:35 PM

People rejecting this vaccine are going to be, in general, the dumber, less educated, lower income, and more mystically oriented among the population. So you’ll probably see poor saturation in the Bible Belt and among low level workers. So let’s stop wasting time and just get the online application up and start sticking the rational people who believe in evidence, data, science, and reality. We’ll get the job done by accelerating to the needed 70-95% vaccination rate. That will indirectly save the lower level people who are ruled by fear and superstition.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:38 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
For anyone here interested: It was just announced on the news by New York's governor that New York State will open up Covid vaccine eligibility to everyone 65 and older as well as younger people who are immunocompromised. The vaccines should be given free, although there may be a small, reimbursable administration fee charged by the provider.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:01 PM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The reason for this is a lack of critical thinking skills. Logic, reason, and philosophy should be taught EVERY year K-12. We have a population of dummies.
I'm also skeptical of people who go around ranting we have a population of dummies.

Perhaps we do. The question is who is more stupid, your dummies or my dummies?

Let me illustrate an example of human folly. Last year we had COVID explode on the scene and widespread shutdowns and edicts against public gatherings of people, work from home, closing of schools, closing of businesses and all that.

Then we had the explosion of the BLM protests following the George Floyd death in Minneapolis.

All of a sudden, the same people telling everyone to stay home and banning mass public gathering were simultaneously saying "except for BLM protests." Somehow it was ok for people to have mass protest in the middle of a pandemic.

The same people going around telling everyone we need to be guided by facts are very often the same people excusing the BLM mass protests as an exception to the social distancing and shutdown rules. But why? Didn't the facts say we must stay away from each other and socially distance and avoid mass gatherings? Didn't we want to, you know, save lives?

Then the other problem with facts is that facts do not have morals. Facts do not tell us what is right or wrong. Facts do not tell us we must shut down. It's public policy that does. So it's not clear what is meant when people claim to be guided by facts. The shutdowns lead to large scale job losses. That's a fact too. Was that right or wrong? Was having fewer people in hospitals better than greater job security and less economic loss? How do the facts tell us either way? They don't. It's policy that does.

Another great example of the abuse of facts versus policy is the shutdowns. Many people argue that facts justify shutdowns. So let's shut down. Did it work? Well, let's consider the current situation between two states, Florida and California. Florida has a much lighter shutdown, most schools are open, fewer people wear masks, and so forth. California is in the middle of a severe shutdown and has been shut down for some time now and schools have been closed and edicts requiring masks and distancing are quite strict. One would assume that Florida would have worse deaths and new case rates than California. But actually, Florida is doing better than California. Florida is slightly more than half the size of California, population-wise, but only a quarter of new cases. What about New York? Similar population to Florida, give or take a million or two. New York has a much stricter lockdown. But New York still has more daily new cases than Florida. What does that tell us? Who knows. But those are the facts.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
For anyone here interested: It was just announced on the news by New York's governor that New York State will open up Covid vaccine eligibility to everyone 65 and older as well as younger people who are immunocompromised. The vaccines should be given free, although there may be a small, reimbursable administration fee charged by the provider.
Excellent step. Less collectivistic segmentation, more stabbing arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates