Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 12:20 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we do need an alternative to gas but not because the government basically forces people to change. Here in California our natural gas prices have gone up astronomically well over 100% wrecking family budgets. I am single and barely use our gas stove mostly just to boil water for instant coffee.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I've seen videos and videos explaining why natural gas stoves are dangerous. I would agree that gas is dangerous, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and explosion. But we all know this, but why now?
I never saw a single explanation that using gas stove or oven requires having the range hood turned on to exhaust the gas fumes especially when the windows are closed. The gas dryer has an exhaust vent and so should cooking with gas. In this PBS video the families in the video were ignorant, they never knew that cooking with gas requires using the range hood to vent the gas fumes. They were glad that they got switched to electrical cooktop. Which is nice thing to have

Why these government officials keep pushing us towards electricity when the rates are going up. One look at my electricity bill, I'm charged $88 for electrical generation. WTF? I thought we are using clean solar renewable there should be no charge on generation.

I like energy diversification, when the grid shutsdown. I can still cook and shower with hot water using gas and heat the home using wood and propane.
I think conscious-stricken Western elites have their own policy predilections that have nothing to do with the merits of natural gas stoves or heating. Perhaps they are showing their agenda, which I believe to be dialing back our standard of living.

I came across the word "sumptuary laws" from Friends Divided: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson by Gordon S. Wood. The word "sumptuary" means "relating to personal expenditures and especially to prevent extravagance and luxury" and sumptuary laws means laws "designed to regulate extravagant expenditures or habits especially on moral or religious grounds." (link to source).

There is a strain that goes back before the start of European civilization in America that sees a positive value in self-abnegation. I did not realize that this went back beyone the days of John Adams and further, to Puritan times. I had thought that this philosophy of life seeped into the U.S. via books such as the 1950's classic by John Kenneth Galbraith, The Affluent Society. This foreshadowed by other authors and thinkers, such as Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck. In Travels Steinbeck rails against conspicuous consumption and other signs of affluence. Going back to ancient Greek time, there was a philosopher named Epicuris, who believed (link to source) that was decidedly the opposite from Puritanism, for convenience called epicurean-ism. I did not think of any modern connections in thought, Indeed, I had thought that this line of thinking was recent, a response to post-War prosperity.

IN summary, I rather believe that Sumptuary Laws in 18th Century England morphed intp Puritantism and modern wearing of the hair-shirt. I believe that the rebellion against that kind of thinking results in surprise phenomena such as Reagan's election over Carter in 1980.

It goes back way, way further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To doubters...would you voluntarily breathe in natural gas?

But I have a bigger problem with that with natural gas. All those pipes to deliver it to individual homes seems impractical to me. Better to have electrical generating plants use natural gas.
You can be sure that is not what the "environmental activists" have in mind. Nor is nuclear power. They want everyone's living standards dialed back, except their own private jet use while they are "saving the world." See above.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:45 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
I don't know of any serious persons who want to dial back anyone else's standard of living. IMO that is supposition. Someone has pointed out a possible downside to personal health from unvented natural gas range-tops. The 24-hour media cycle of news/rage glommed onto that and had to crank up the usual us versus them dialog to get clicks and ratings.

This natural gas "issue" is small potatoes and not worth taking sides over. People know the hazards of smoking and drinking alcohol, some gave them up, some still use one or both, but it's not a national crap-storm. Some will change from gas to electric cooktops if they wish, some won't. Follow the science. No need to hate anyone. Time to close this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates