Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

ACORN is the Association of Community Organizers for Reform Now. They purport to fulfill a very important need to help those who might not otherwise be able to vote due to socio-economic factors. They have also been accused by the right of fraud or, at the least, of their biased assistance aimed specifically at getting the more typical Democrat voters to the polls.

Are they missing out on assistance to lower-income Conservative, bible-belt rural potential voters? Bubba the Believer in his trailer home for example? What about the claim that Mr. Obama's election committee gave them $80k as a "donation"?

What really gives here? Quick; we don't have much time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Acorn is apparently a corrupt group. Perhaps they didn't INTEND to be, but that's what's happening now! Registering folks who shouldn't be registered, telling those folks HOW to vote, and worst yet--taking OUR TAX DOLLARS to do this!
Where is the oversight on how tax dollars are spent?
What I don't understand is why the states are allowing this activity!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
The concept and goal were good. The execution was tarnished by the new low levels of standards and ethics in our society as a whole. And who is the standard setter, our leaders, and we just accept it.

We do have the government we deserve, sadly

Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The concept and goal were good. The execution was tarnished by the new low levels of standards and ethics in our society as a whole. And who is the standard setter, our leaders, and we just accept it.

We do have the government we deserve, sadly
Thanks for such a good post.

I think the same is true for several social organizations who either have out lived their usefulness or have fallen into some sort of corruption and no longer really have a valid purpose.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Correct me if I am wrong but it was individuals that went out and didnt do the work they were suppose to and got false sigs...Sounds like someone cheating and blowing off work. But they were all fired right away.

make a group of anything and there will be a bad apple.
Humans are evil
Its what we do

Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but it was individuals that went out and didnt do the work they were suppose to and got false sigs...Sounds like someone cheating and blowing off work. But they were all fired right away.

make a group of anything and there will be a bad apple.
Humans are evil
Its what we do
Your post made wonder what the history of ACORN was regarding fraud. I found this link:
Fraud Map :: Rotten Acorn ::

It seems they have had fraud problems since 1998. Even though it may very well only be a few individuals guilty, it is still the responsibility of the organization to monitor itself. Voter Fraud is a serious deal and a slap in the face to the privilege of voting.

When elections are neck in neck as they have been during the past couple of elections, then false registrations and multiple voting becomes a tremendous problem.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:26 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Your post made wonder what the history of ACORN was regarding fraud. I found this link:
Fraud Map :: Rotten Acorn ::
It seems they have had fraud problems since 1998. Even though it may very well only be a few individuals guilty, it is still the responsibility of the organization to monitor itself. Voter Fraud is a serious deal and a slap in the face to the privilege of voting.
When elections are neck in neck as they have been during the past couple of elections, then false registrations and multiple voting becomes a tremendous problem.
Gee, your post made me wonder what the truth about ACORN might be. I found this link...

The Truth About ACORN

Then I wondered who was funding the site you linked to, but they don't seem to list any information about themselves at all. So I tried to find out what sort of people might actually contribute to ACORN. I found out that folks like these do...JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup, Bill & Melinda Gates, Ford Foundation, UPS, Hyatt, Working Assets. I guess folks like these must see ACORN a little differently from the way some other folks do.

Oh, by the way, all voter registration drive sponsors have the same sorts of problems that Project Vote does, and all of them are required by state law to turn in every single signed form that they receive, regardless of whether the name at the top is Donald Duck. ACORN splits its forms when submitted into those it thinks are good and those it thinks are questionable. Nearly all "fraud" complaints have come from forms that were in ACORN's questionable pile to begin with, but that it was required to turn in by law.

Last edited by saganista; 10-22-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
I think their initial goals were noble. However, how they went about it was very poor and then as they grew in power, that power corrupted into what it has become- unarguably the single greatest affront to democracy in the history of the country.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Yes, very sensible. Registering people to vote is an affront to democracy. In Karl Rove Land, that might be true. But not in the USA...

Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Perhaps we should stop allowing anyone to register to vote unless you go to a state approved registry place--no more "motor voter" stuff. At least that way, someone would have a bit of control as to who is registering and the validity could be checked right then and there.

Folks shouldn't have to be "led" to register--they should WANT to, and if they don't want to....well, too bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates