Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,756 times

Advertisements

Political Correctness is completely detrimental to a free society.
"PC", as it is called, stifles debate, hinders free thinking and prevents people from addressing serious issues. PC prevents people from speaking their minds and voicing the opinions that are the corner stone of a free society. Once people are cowed into silence, once debate on any issue is drown out in shouting, labels, hate, recriminations and libel then progress is quashed and the status quo reinforced.

Political Correctness is the beginnings of grassroots fascism....pure and simple.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
"PC", as it is called, stifles debate, hinders free thinking and prevents people from addressing serious issues. PC prevents people from speaking their minds and voicing the opinions that are the corner stone of a free society. Once people are cowed into silence, once debate on any issue is drown out in shouting, labels, hate, recriminations and libel then progress is quashed and the status quo reinforced.

Political Correctness is the beginnings of grassroots fascism....pure and simple.
All true...but I'd go so far as to say not ONLY does PC do all of the above...at some point, it succeeds in actually changing the very MEANING of words themselves..to the point that we are no longer able to communicate clearly, because none of us can be certain what the other's even talking about.

Case in point?....there are too many to mention..but when it takes three cops to hold down an out-of-control suspect wielding a knife, and he's described by witnesses as 'the gentleman who had the knife'....then what do we call a NON-violent, law-abiding male? Or is HE just a 'gentleman' as well?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:

You've just spoken your mind and voiced your opinions, all while doing so rather freely.

Hence, you just made your own argument null and void.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I briefly (took her on a wonderful date to a formal dance, dinner and chickened out on calling her for a second date) dated a girl in high school who was African-American. Thing is, she was not black. She was half-American Jew, half-South African Dutch, and clearly as white as can be. Compare her to my closest friend, a black guy who grew up in Cleveland. He's never been to Africa, neither had his parents before they died. But if you were a PC advocate, you'd call him "African-American". How is that being "correct" when it's clearly incorrect? The only person who can be "African-American" is someone who has one parent from Africa and one from America. Otherwise, black people from Canada are African-Canadian, from France they are African-French and Mexico they are African-Mexican. After all, some native Africans are pretty white, like Ernie Ells.

Example:
Lebron James is Black, not African-American
Barack Obama is African-American, not black

It also goes for new terminology for old professions: Custodian for Janitor, Transport engineer for bus driver, flight attendant for stewardess, sex worker for prostitute...

And for birth issues: mentally challenged for retarded, bi-polar for Manic depressive, vertically challenged for short...

What do you all think?
I prefer to use the descriptive term "black" but some black people are much lighter and maybe I should call them "brown" not black. Back in the 1920s (along with other, more disparaging names), people of color were called "browns". It's all so confusing.

I think that unless there is a police bulletin describing the perp. that nobody really NEEDS to mention skin color or race. It really should not matter, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Back in the 1920s (along with other, more disparaging names), people of color were called "browns". It's all so confusing.
Yes, there have been all kinds of names over the years, many at first suggested as an acceptable alternative, then later parsed as offensive instead with a new alternative suggested. There's no reason to believe that won't continue. "Black" is considered offensive by some folks now, prior to that this happened with "colored", soon it will happen with "African-American", etc.

It all seems fairly absurd to me. They're just words, and it makes little sense why it should matter what words folks use for such things. The folks getting offended at mere words are the ones who should be examining themselves to figure out why a particular word offends them. People should be far more concerned with non-verbal behavior--everything from violence to whether someone is discriminating against them regardless of what term they're using for the folks they're discriminating against.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 AM

It seems that those who are confused, resentful, irritated, etc. about the way that somebody else refers to their personal or cultural identity, ought to actually examine themselves instead of suggesting that others do so.

All these whiners bemoaning PC, might really be resentful of the fact that society no longer endows them with the moral superiority and entitlement to say whetever the hell they want without consequence. Examine that.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
All these whiners bemoaning PC, might really be resentful of the fact that society no longer endows them with the moral superiority and entitlement to say whetever the hell they want without consequence. Examine that.
My examination of that concludes with, "Everyone should be able to say whatever the hell they want without consequence".

(At least in a public versus a private forum, that is, where "public" versus "private" are about ownership; I'm not against private forums having whatever speech restrictions they wish to have, with consequences including that you're no longer allowed to participate in that private forum.)

Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
My examination of that concludes with, "Everyone should be able to say whatever the hell they want without consequence".
Then stop whining and do it!!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you're requesting there. I do say what I want in public venues, and pretty much everything I want in private venues, too, although I make myself aware of private venue restrictions and operate accordingly if I want to keep participating in them (for example, I wouldn't keep trying to post profanity here).

But it's not the case in the US (or anywhere else that I'm aware of) that we have "absolute" free speech in public venues, even if I think we should . . .

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Absolutely, and I think it's proof that Fascist conformity can come just as easily from the Left as from the Right.

Quote:
But it's also easy to spot, because the folks who push for it typically start with self-righteous claims about equality, but whenever pressed they quickly begin sounding just like that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates