Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any free and open thoughts about just what might be in line for us innocent citicens in a turmoil-racked world that is possibly bearing down on us? Puh-Leeeeze... no "End Times" philosophies. Those belong elsewhere and should be roundly ignored or re-located (note and request to moderator)! This is for a common-sense discussion. Those waiting impatiently to get on the Golden Ark can form their own line over there!

I'm thinking in terms of what sort of rational preparations a common-sense person might want to do. Sub-topics might include reasonable food banking, whether one should have a good .22LR/.223/.308/7.62mm rifle, 9mm/.45 ACP pistol and 12ga pump shotgun (and how much ammo or reloading supplies for each...). What about banking (as in your personal finances, gold, etc.), personal transport, or whatever. Bicycles for everyone in the house? Home self-sufficiency (heat, light, safe water). What benchmarks or special things to possibly watch for in the dominant media culture in the next 6 to 18 mo. and on and on. (For example, Federal Government confiscation of all gold under the Recovery Act of 1933, or night-time urban curfews or special taxes or firearms confiscations, or, or.... Ouch!)

If we can't discuss this one without rancor, we may, yes, be all doomed. Imagine the possible chaos in the streets on even a small city, not even thinking about LA, Chicago or NYC. Yikes! Don't even go there!

If you think this is all paranoid nonsense, please drift off over to the "Never-Never Land" thread. I'd honestly like to hear what the other "forward thinking types" might have on thir minds. You know: "Hope For The Best, But Prepare For The Worst"?

Not to mention that such preparations can also save your family's life in the case of another Katrina, a Yellowstone eruption, tornados, lengthy winter storms, big terrorist attacks on several cities at once, continental or global viral/bacterial pandemic, etc. etc. etc.

Any other stuff you might think of that would be a good thought-starter or discussion point would be most welcome.

Remember, nicey-nice! Please! .......

Last edited by rifleman; 01-06-2009 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
You lost me in your second paragraph.

At any rate, here's what I suggest for surviving most of one's life and being happy most of the time: don't worry too much. Turn off the news if you need to. Turn off the Discovery Channel shows that talk about all the ways that nature can cause mass destruction.

Of course, that doesn't mean to not think ahead at all. For example, if you live on the southern Atlantic or Gulf coastlines, you should have the basic hurricane supplies you'd need (food, water, maybe a generator, etc.), and you should plan ahead a bit financially, but other than that--don't worry.

I'd put good money on your life being more or less the same whether you worry about doom and gloom scenarios or not, it's just that without the worry you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
First, teach your kids Basic skills... gardening, camping (sans motorhome) cooking from scrach, preserving food, and the like. It can be family fun. Teach them to take responsibility and insist that they do. Don't let the state turn them into sheeple. Teach them to think and reason yourself.

Make sure they read well. All the books you collect on resourses won't help unless they can read well.

Keep three months of food in dried or canned form. Keep the freezer full too... it will save on your bill too. Go through the house and note the stuff you use everyday, paper, toilet paper, soap, tootpaste, dishwashing soap etc and have extra. Make sure you have extra water. Remember to put meds where they can be gotten to quickly in case you have to evacuate.

Read up on the emergency preparedness stuff your state/city sends out and go a bit beyond. Remember that the meltdown of the culture is likely to happen after the disastor does.

There are lots of sites with good advise, but for yourself and your kids the most important thing is to know skills and be challenged to use them. Do the physical stuff, but you need the mental skills to go along too.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
You lost me in your second paragraph.

Of course, that doesn't mean to not think ahead at all. For example, if you live on the southern Atlantic or Gulf coastlines, you should have the basic hurricane supplies you'd need (food, water, maybe a generator, etc.), and you should plan ahead a bit financially, but other than that--don't worry.

I'd put good money on your life being more or less the same whether you worry about doom and gloom scenarios or not, it's just that without the worry you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Good general concept (i.e.: don't worry, be happy), but I'm pretty sure that too many Americans don't bother to even wonder where their key Rx's are should they have to temporarily leave home due to a weather or "cultural" event. Or, according to the fundamentalists waiting for Yellowstone to burp next week and take out Chicago, well, you might also want to know whether there's clean water in the RV tank.

Now, T-U, doesn't your posting info mention you can probably see the old WTC site from your bedroom window? Can't/won't happen ever again?

I agree; there's no need (right now, anyhow...) for excessive sleep-depriving worry. Just some common sense and thought starters here. I do think, though, that rational people tend to worry less if they've thought about, and then prepped for, previously ignored problems. Yes?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
First, teach your kids Basic skills... gardening, camping (sans motorhome) cooking from scrach, preserving food, and the like. It can be family fun. Teach them to take responsibility and insist that they do. Don't let the state turn them into sheeple. Teach them to think and reason yourself.

Make sure they read well. All the books you collect on resourses won't help unless they can read well.

Keep three months of food in dried or canned form. Keep the freezer full too... it will save on your bill too. Go through the house and note the stuff you use everyday, paper, toilet paper, soap, tootpaste, dishwashing soap etc and have extra. Make sure you have extra water. Remember to put meds where they can be gotten to quickly in case you have to evacuate.

Read up on the emergency preparedness stuff your state/city sends out and go a bit beyond. Remember that the meltdown of the culture is likely to happen after the disastor does.

There are lots of sites with good advise, but for yourself and your kids the most important thing is to know skills and be challenged to use them. Do the physical stuff, but you need the mental skills to go along too.
Good post. The more people are responsible rather than reactionary, the better the situation will be. Teach others to help others as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Well, if you're talking about mass chaos after a cataclysmic or epidemic-style global event, then all I can say is...gold isn't going to do you any good. Gold has no real value in a subsistence-living environment. You can't eat it, you can't drink it, you can't put it on your wounds, it can't defend you, and it can't transport you somewhere else.

The things that would be of value in such a world would be drugs, food/alcohol, sex, and weapons.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM

68 posts, read 265,279 times
A topic I've become interested in recently. One web site that covers many of the topics is SurvivalBlog.com - or google survival in Argentina for a blog of someone living through socio-economic turmoil firsthand.

I'm pretty well covered on firearms and water for my location.

A few things I've gleaned from my research:

A pistol is a must have - the type of long guns depends on your locale.
Silver coins, small jewelry is better than gold bars (smaller, easier to use for transactions.
A water source and water purification methods are a top priority.
You probably need more than a couple/family to survive.
A variety of skills - gardening, hunting (food prep), medical, basic carpentry, welding etc. among the group is necessary.
Waste disposal, TP and sanitation need to be planned for.
Spare parts for machinery, firearms.
Medical supplies.

If you acquire a year's supply of food and other items - you ain't gonna be able to move it at the last minute - even if you own a semi and think you can drive it through a potentially violent crowd.

The list could go on until my fingers bleed.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Anyone have any free and open thoughts about just what might be in line for us innocent citicens in a turmoil-racked world that is possibly bearing down on us? Puh-Leeeeze... no "End Times" philosophies. Those belong elsewhere and should be roundly ignored or re-located (note and request to moderator)! This is for a common-sense discussion. Those waiting impatiently to get on the Golden Ark can form their own line over there!

I'm thinking in terms of what sort of rational preparations a common-sense person might want to do. Sub-topics might include reasonable food banking, whether one should have a good .22LR/.223/.308/7.62mm rifle, 9mm/.45 ACP pistol and 12ga pump shotgun (and how much ammo or reloading supplies for each...). What about banking (as in your personal finances, gold, etc.), personal transport, or whatever. Bicycles for everyone in the house? Home self-sufficiency (heat, light, safe water). What benchmarks or special things to possibly watch for in the dominant media culture in the next 6 to 18 mo. and on and on. (For example, Federal Government confiscation of all gold under the Recovery Act of 1933, or night-time urban curfews or special taxes or firearms confiscations, or, or.... Ouch!)

If we can't discuss this one without rancor, we may, yes, be all doomed. Imagine the possible chaos in the streets on even a small city, not even thinking about LA, Chicago or NYC. Yikes! Don't even go there!

If you think this is all paranoid nonsense, please drift off over to the "Never-Never Land" thread. I'd honestly like to hear what the other "forward thinking types" might have on thir minds. You know: "Hope For The Best, But Prepare For The Worst"?

Not to mention that such preparations can also save your family's life in the case of another Katrina, a Yellowstone eruption, tornados, lengthy winter storms, big terrorist attacks on several cities at once, continental or global viral/bacterial pandemic, etc. etc. etc.

Any other stuff you might think of that would be a good thought-starter or discussion point would be most welcome.

Remember, nicey-nice! Please! .......

That's a heck of a definition for "innocent!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It's always good to have that kind of knowledge and supplies, even just if a snow storm comes up and you're at home for a bit (happened to us recently, fully supplied us and the neighbors with yummy food) it's nice to have.

You never know what's going to happen. Even though I never think there's going to be a collapse or fall of civilization, its just so unlikely, a disaster will always have a very slight chance of happening. Setting up some very basic preparations is pretty easy and not very expensive, even if you don't use it at least it's there. Stocking up on goods is easy, especially if you shop at Sams or Costco. Knowledge of camping and preservation is pretty good...fun for the kids and home preservation makes better tasting food then commercial IMHO. Get an army field manual, they are great in case and are pretty cheap...even if you never open one they cost about as much as a dinner out at Red Robin for 2 people, sans plugging up your heart.

Guns are a sticky subject, I always think a shotgun is the best self defense weapon...it's hard to miss, it's intimidation factor is immense, and if some one is insane enough to tangle with you when you have one trained on them it's the only thing that's going to stop them. You can use it for hunting numerous animals for food, though larger ones at longer range you would need a true rifle.

It's not something to have an anxiety attack over, but good to keep your eye out for sales to grab...I did the same with both cars, each has a pretty extensive emergency kit that just bought over the course of a year. Bits and pieces of each have been used and been really helpful, more so to save frustration then any emergency.

I'm getting some prep stuff for 2012 myself, not really that I think anything is going to happen...but people who think the world is about to end may end up doing really stupid crap.

Last edited by subsound; 01-06-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 AM

Red face "My! What big appetities you have... for my stuff!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
That's a heck of a definition for "innocent!
Hey... if Little Red Riding Hood had thought ahead, she'd have still been "innocent", just prepared!

Better to eat than be eaten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates