Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
“When brown can stick around”

“When yellow can be mellow”

“When the red man can be the head man”

"And when white will embrace what is right"

For a man who hates racism.....I find this to be a very racist remark. Is this a way to start out a new presidency? Obama thinks we should all be color blind and then lets a racist give the benediction. Nice, real nice.
Actually, Rev. Lowery has always said it this way:

"When Black won't be asked to get back ...

When Brown can stick around ...

When yellow can be mellow ...

When the Red Man can get ahead, man ...

And when White is alright."

I've heard him say it like this for decades; I heard him say it this way at an Obama rally almost two years ago. Why he changed it, I don't know. He may wish to make a public statement and clarify himself.

That said, Rev. Lowery is 88 years old and his life embodies that of an American hero. He's hardly a racist. To accuse him of being so, says more about the narrowest of minds that could form such a thought, than it could ever say about Rev. Lowery himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 AM

107 posts, read 283,452 times
There will be no end to racism. It is always thrown out there as a reason or excuse that something has gone a certain way. It is a scapegoat for those who will not do what obama has asked them to do, be responsible for your self. What will be the reason thrown out there when nothing actually changes and its business as usual?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
There will be no end to racism. It is always thrown out there as a reason or excuse that something has gone a certain way. It is a scapegoat for those who will not do what obama has asked them to do, be responsible for your self. What will be the reason thrown out there when nothing actually changes and its business as usual?
What, then, is the the original poster's reason or excuse for throwing racism "out there"?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM

107 posts, read 283,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
What, then, is the the original poster's reason or excuse for throwing racism "out there"?
Do we know his race?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
Peyton c criticized me for;
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod
No worse than allowing a bigot like that fat slob from Orange County open his yap.

golfgod

Tasteful. Tell me, do you always use name calling as your way of sticking out your tongue at people who disagree with you? Kinda third grade, don't ya think?

Not a bit. He is a bigot, or have you not heard, or read his comments on gays? He is a fat slob, and I was too busy to look up his name. As a child, in my church we were taught that "our body is our temple", and to abuse it is a sin. This is the only time I've seen him without a 44 oz slurpee cup in his mug.

golfgod

Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,708 times
Quote:
Actually, Rev. Lowery has always said it this way:

"When Black won't be asked to get back ...

When Brown can stick around ...

When yellow can be mellow ...

When the Red Man can get ahead, man ...

And when White is alright."

I've heard him say it like this for decades; I heard him say it this way at an Obama rally almost two years ago. Why he changed it, I don't know. He may wish to make a public statement and clarify himself.

That said, Rev. Lowery is 88 years old and his life embodies that of an American hero. He's hardly a racist. To accuse him of being so, says more about the narrowest of minds that could form such a thought, than it could ever say about Rev. Lowery himself.
I call it like I see it, his comments were inappropriate. In his mind, "white ain't right" and he said so publicly, which makes his statement racist. If you are so open minded about his statement, what did it mean to you?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,708 times
Quote:
Okay let me rewrite the poem for you.

“When white is right”

“When yellow can be mellow”

“When the red man is the dead man”

"And when brown skips town"

Sound right to you? Or does it sound a little racist?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
I admit when I 1st heard it, I gave a frustrated little sigh.
I still think it was in bad taste but......

About 20 years ago I worked with a woman who at the time was 72 yo. When a black person was mentioned she would call them "colored". She wasn't mean about it but come on "Colored?"
We tried to get her to stop but when the person we were trying to protect told us that it didn't both him, he just took her age into consideration and he understood that saying that was the acceptable thing at the time she was growing up. Eyes opened.

So, I'm going to take his age into consideration and let it go.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I call it like I see it, his comments were inappropriate. In his mind, "white ain't right" and he said so publicly, which makes his statement racist. If you are so open minded about his statement, what did it mean to you?
As I said, yesterday was the first time I've ever heard him say "white/embrace what's right" instead of "white is alright". So I don't know what to make of the change (I'm in my mid-40s, live in Atlanta, have visited Rev. Lowery's church, and have never heard anything anti-white or anti-anyone else).

Would you have been OK with him saying--as he's said for decades--that "white is alright"?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM

472 posts, read 739,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I admit when I 1st heard it, I gave a frustrated little sigh.
I still think it was in bad taste but......

About 20 years ago I worked with a woman who at the time was 72 yo. When a black person was mentioned she would call them "colored". She wasn't mean about it but come on "Colored?"
We tried to get her to stop but when the person we were trying to protect told us that it didn't both him, he just took her age into consideration and he understood that saying that was the acceptable thing at the time she was growing up. Eyes opened.

So, I'm going to take his age into consideration and let it go.
I understand that sentiment - but again, that is not the larger issue here.

What is at stake is the fact that what was said was clearly innapropriate. More innapropriate is the dismissal of that simple fact by so many in the media who would otherwise judge harshly such a sentiment if spoken by a white person. It is that glaringly consistent double-standard that continues to hold up the idea that race in America is a problem. And why would that be done? Perhaps it is simple greed. Profiting from the concept of racial injustice has been very lucrative business in this country for decades.

The conclusion of this benediction was a direct link to the infamous commentary by Obama's long time pastor Wright.

This negative conclusion to the Obama inauguration will pass - hopefully, but it certainly left me a bit concerned as to the future tone of this administration. I am hopeful Obama will rise above such nonsense, for certainly the vast majority of America has for some time, but some residual concern will likely remain for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates